DAF Trucks .

Hmm, run side by side on plant I’ve found them more reliable than scania, each to their own I suppose.

I wouldn’t say no to one, cheap horsepower

people can knock them all they wont but i recone they are as good as any thing on the road I own a 54 plate ssc which i bought just over a year old from hanbury riverside it had 121000 kms on the clock it now has done over a million kms it had the heads done under warrentry at two years old never cost me a penny it has had its fair share of air valves but the problems have stopped after i fitted a new compressor a set of batts and a rad plus alternator but these things are due to the age of the motor and two small elec faults in all the time i have had it i have only broken down on the side of the road once and that was a couple of months back when the bearings went in the adjuster pully i was toying with the idea of a knew one a while back but i just can not part with the motor i would take it any where and not worry

It’s the 21st century E.R.F 20 years out of date but cheap and fairly reliable, the last one I drove was a new 460 XF back in 07, it went well, the brakes were adequate the manual box was good and the cab felt like a shagged out caravan that wasn’t attached to the chassis. Dated and adequate.

gunnerheskey:

damoq:

Fallmonk:
I was talking to a guy with a 105 sc and hey said they had terrible problems with chaffing wires and wires stretching and snapping .
Even the Daf mechanic told him after 2 yrs he would be begging for his old Actros back !
Hardly encouraging

I was begging for my EC11 back after 2 days with a DAF!!! :laughing:

Strange boy :open_mouth:

Strange boy I might be, but the EC11 i drove never let me down and it was a ■■■■ site more comfortable than the CF. But thats just my opinion. :laughing:

Rich The Stag:
Hi,
I had to move from a Scania to a Daf and what a pile of junk it is even though its on a 08 plate. :frowning:
Crap mirrors,old fashioned quarter-light windows, a brake pedal from a Scammel, cab rattles and bumps,cold in the winter…the list is endless.
Its Scania every time for me.Yes its bit more expensive but you do get the quality.

Rant over! :slight_smile:

I never understood the quarter windows either. A little bit of sunshine against it and you might as well have been driving without mirrors for all you could see. Same grip with the Stralis too though. :cry:

my cf’s done more millage on the back of a wrecker than its own wheels :cry:

shugg:
In an earlier post I asked for replies regarding reliable trucks , Iam surprised at the poor comments regarding DAF trucks . Yet this make is a top seller in this country and I notice some operaters moving from other makes over to DAF , your comments etc would be welcome .

I had for 6 Year a old 2800 and didnt swap it for a 430 Magnum nor for 420 Scania.Drove them all over Benelux and North France without much Problems.
I dont like the Automatic,as it needs too much Fuel.And,for our Work i would like Daf much more then Axor or any other.
First i could use the Foot for exhaust Brake,
Then the Cab is lower,more easy to get in and out delivering to Londons Shops
Got also a steered Middle Axle,which would make it more Safe driving on slippery Road
Is British build if im right which means it safes British Jobs.
Dont call it Inteligent to buy Mercedes,safe German Jobs and complain about Economic Crisis :bulb:

My firm has a new XF SSC waiting to be stickered up in the garage, after turning down the last 3 new ones I don’t think they will bother asking me for the fourth time! Thank god :laughing:

I had a Daf CF 460 high roof from new ! and it was a good engine decent gearbox good on fuel ,decent back up from Marshalls of Cambridge .

now I have a new Megaspace 440 which has a weak engine , decent gearbox , good on fuel but is abit cheap and nasty on some of the build quality , poor fit on outside lockers , one lets water in , tacky dash poor back up from poorwell trucks of Ipswich.

Don’t forget skidmarks on the bunk and back wall!

All the late ones seem to give lots of problems with the ad blue system.

kr79:
All the late ones seem to give lots of problems with the ad blue system.

Our 57 plates have but the 11s have been trouble free. The Volvo FEs have been a joke with their adblue systems though.

I’ve only ever properly broken down in DAF’s. I’ve had plenty of break downs, but always been able to Limp home, but when it’s been in a DAF it’s been a sit and wait for the fitter job.

In the past 6 months, all in different vehicles for different companies:
Compressor went locking the brakes on in the middle of a 4 way junction. Was stuck for 6 hours as when they tried to connect more air to it, just to tow it out the way, it was having none of it so the repair had to be done in situ.

Blown intercooler

Various engine management faults

Fuel system faults.

Immobiliser not wanting to turn off whenever the battery is below 100%

apart from that, in my experience, they also leak like sieves and the electrics generally like to give in at random times.

shugg:
In an earlier post I asked for replies regarding reliable trucks , Iam surprised at the poor comments regarding DAF trucks . Yet this make is a top seller in this country and I notice some operaters moving from other makes over to DAF , your comments etc would be welcome .

TM told me yesterday that they’re not happy with 61plate CF 460 auto we run; It’s very heavy on tires and has had several layups due to electrical faults. Daf not been able to explain why…and TM and Workshop Manager will be having meetings with MAN at CV Show next week (we’ve normally ordered new motors by now)

I have driven volvos scania and mercs but i have to say that the DAF is the best one out of the lot.

I drive brand new XF SSC, it’s got leather fridge etc
The plastics in cab rattles like tractor when idling and its roof leaks in 2 different locations :sunglasses:

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

The Megabus vanhool double deckers are all DAF chassis and are constant trouble, that said they are constantly on the road and have done over million miles in 2 years