DAF(T) Questions

Hi

Some stupid questions about an 05 DAF XF 95 i’ve been given. I’m a scania man and I’ve always driven scania so I know little about DAF’s

How do you tilt the ■■■■■■ cab?
Do you need to tilt the cab to check the oil?
Is the coolant filler under the bonnet?
Do I need to check the oil and coolant level, or will the computers do it for me? How accurate are the oil sensors onn this?

Any other tips about how to use things in it I’d appreciate.

Been a long time since i’e driven one of these, sucking eggs and all i usually consult the handbook, if it’s still in the jeffin wagon that is.

How do you tilt the [zb] cab?

There is a pump behind the n/s/f wing.Should be a bar in the toolkit to work this.There is a valve on the pump-use the aforementioned bar to turn this valve fully clockwise and then use the bar to pump up the cab.To lower it,turn the valve fully anti-clockwise and again use the bar to pump it down. There is no need to open the grille before tilting the cab.

Do you need to tilt the cab to check the oil?

You can do it using the the computer.There is a large black knob on the dash.With the ignition on,press this knob twice to bring up “vehicle info”,then turn it to scroll down to “oil level”.Push the knob again and it should show the oil level.It may bring up a message “no oil level data”,then you have to tilt the cab to gain access to the dipstick which is on the n/s of the engine behind the altenator.If the oil level comes up on the screen,it is usually accurate.If oil is needed,5 litres takes it from min to max level.

Is the coolant filler under the bonnet?

Yes.With bonnet open and facing the vehicle,the coolant filler is the large cap on the right of the radiator.The cap on the left of the rad is for adding oil.Both caps are clearly marked.Add the oil very slowly,or the tube will overflow :unamused: Poor design :wink: You can also add oil through the rear rocker cover when the cab is tilted.

The w/screen washer bottle filler is located on the n/s top step.Fuse box is located on the n/s of the dash behind a lift-up flap.In theory, you don’t need to tilt the cab to change a headlamp or sidelamp bulb.In practice it is easier to tilt the cab slightly so that you can see what you are doing-assuming your firm lets you change bulbs :wink:
Electric windows only work with ignition on :confused: Depending on the model fitted,the radio should work for up to 1 hour without the ignition on.Handy if you do RDC work.
If it’s an automatic,tell your boss to get shut of it and buy one with a proper gearbox :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Autos are the spawn of Satan :laughing: :laughing:

These are not “DAFT” questions, On the contrary, they show that you have the sense to find out things rather than just jump into a tuck and driving it blindly.As a trade plater I have driven every make and model of truck on the market , but most people have only driven one or two different makes.
I think when a driver applies for a job that part of the induction course should be to familiarise him with the truck he is going to drive and any other that he is likely to drive.

rocky 7:
These are not “DAFT” questions, On the contrary, they show that you have the sense to find out things rather than just jump into a tuck and driving it blindly.As a trade plater I have driven every make and model of truck on the market , but most people have only driven one or two different makes.
I think when a driver applies for a job that part of the induction course should be to familiarise him with the truck he is going to drive and any other that he is likely to drive.

That sounds like costly training to me, wont someone please think of the accountants.

DAF had quite a novel idea to stop drivers faffing around under the cab, they put the pump behind the step, a new drivers first job is to knock the step off, thus preventing the cab being tilted :stuck_out_tongue:

rocky 7:

couldn’t agree more , we had 2 new scania 8 wheelers the 2 regular drivers were shown whats what & the relief was just expected to just get on with it & thats when things start going wrong.

i think the DAF, like most makes are pretty easy for daily checks , but i’d still like to check the oil levels manually with out having to tilt the cab. i know of one driver who hadn’t checked his DAF85 oil level for 3 years because he couldn’t find a dipstick & was never shown how to do it from the cab info display, when asked he said , i just wait till the oil light comes on & put a couple of gallon in it :open_mouth:

The dipstick for the dafs are under the bonnet. there is no need to tilt the cab for daily checks.

gogzy:
The dipstick for the dafs are under the bonnet. there is no need to tilt the cab for daily checks.

not on the XF95 or the XF105 they aren’t :wink:

on the 95XF, it is under the bonnet, but the truck that the OP is referring to is an 05 plate, thus being an XF95, dipstick on the nearside of the engine, accessed with the cab tilted, but there is no need for this as it is on the DIP4 display

i would have thought you knew this as you have been driving a DAF XF105 recently :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

if it is the auto box, it is ok once you get used to it, but they are a slower gear change than the volvo ir the MAN, and it is a proper 2 pedal auto, not like that stupid thing in the scania :unamused:

again on the auto, if you start it up, and there is a transmission warning amber light on, build the air up fully, then turn off the ignition, remove the key for it to reset the computer and then restart, this should clear it, sometimes, the auto box doesn’t like it if the air drops too much and throws up the warning

as said, check the oil level on the computer, but the coolant in the header tank, although, there is a coolant level warning lamp if it is too low

to raise the grille, there is a lever under the lower edge on each end of it, you do not need to lift the grille before you tilt the cab, but i always do out of habit, if you open the grille before tilting, and you need to top up the water you can still get to the header tank, whereas if the cab is tilted with the grille closed, you then cannot open it

gogzy:

On early ones it was.

Ken.

On the Daf auto-box, what is the position marked “S” for, the one to the right of the lever throw?

Harry Monk:
On the Daf auto-box, what is the position marked “S” for, the one to the right of the lever throw?

if you are using it in manual mode (flick the lever to the left, the dash display will change from 12A to 12M), if you come up to a junction, instead of changing down the gears 1 or 2 at a time, if you flick the switch to the right, it will select the appropriate gear by block changing 4 or 5 gears as appropriate

Harry, the S refers to SLOW, which is used for low speed ie: picking up/dropping a trailer, or low speed when pulling away on a high gradient fully loaded.

Glad to be of assistance to a fellow professional :laughing:

truckyboy:
Harry, the S refers to SLOW, which is used for low speed ie: picking up/dropping a trailer, or low speed when pulling away on a high gradient fully loaded.

it would have been more help if you had given him the correct information :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

the bit you are referring to is not an ‘S’, but a picture of a tortoise :wink:

Spanky I never needed to find the dipstick for my 105 cause I could check it on the computer lol. Plus lugs wants my 105 :stuck_out_tongue:

gogzy:
Spanky I never needed to find the dipstick for my 105 cause I could check it on the computer lol. Plus lugs wants my 105 :stuck_out_tongue:

so, why are you telling people where the dipstick is when you don’t actually know :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

shuttlespanker:

truckyboy:

it would have been more help if you had given him the correct information :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

the bit you are referring to is not an ‘S’, but a picture of a tortoise :wink:

This^

Yes, I knew the tortoise symbols were for slow motion, just didn’t know what the “S” position was for, I’ve only driven a DAF a few times and generally kept it in auto.

When Gogzy’s driving a Daf the dipstick is behind the wheel :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

scottie0011:
When Gogzy’s driving a Daf the dipstick is behind the wheel :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

well, i didn’t really want to say that :blush: :blush: :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I don’t know if all DAFs are the same, but on the one I briefly drove, (XF95 on an 05 plate), one morning the oil level would be almost down to the re-fill level and the next morning it would have magically replenished itself and would be up at the “full” mark. :confused: :confused: :confused: