DAF On board backseat driver

The dashboard mounted nagging wife just gave me top marks for going round a roundabout that I go around every day. I have no idea what I did differently this time, so does anyone have a clue what the ■■■■■■■■■■■■■ is actually looking at?

I experienced similar when I we had a demonstrator back in August. I got fed up with it and switched to another screen. What I found annoying is that you could approach a roundabout or in fact anything with engine brake running, but if someone pulled out or you required just a touch of the brakes it knocked your score down. I did really well, I got 80 something (tipper don’t forget :laughing: ). It really went into PMT bipolar window licking mode when I tapped the brakes to level off a load of stone. I feel sorry for people who have to work where this crap is studied by someone.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day (assuming the hands haven’t fallen off before someone suggests that) So DAF has just proved that even a steering wheel attendant can occasionally/accidentally come across as a real driver now and then too. :smiley:

but my serious answer is… possibly you didn’t come to a complete stop and didn’t use the brakes and therefore the system assumed you forward planned the maneuver (this is what I’m getting at > youtube.com/watch?v=n0rbi5L … v&index=18 )

I did come to a complete stop because it’s traffic light controlled, so I was forced to stop.

I’m not convinced It actually has any real sense behind it. After all, I have never allowed myself to come across as a real driver [FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND WINKING EYE]

I had a hire DAF a few weeks ago that did this. It made little sense. Start stop traffic I was getting full ticks but I once came to a stop at the top of a slip road so slowly using hardly anything at all apart from deceleration I got no ticks at all :frowning:

I always got 52% no matter how I drove

robstracey:
I’m not convinced It actually has any real sense behind it.

You could well be right, I have no experience with this system I just remembered those DAF videos I’d watched ages ago when I was reading your post earlier, I should imagine it depends on many different factors, weight, gradient, visibility, It’s all well and good saying use the engine brake to slow down and time it so you don’t need to stop but what if the jctn/traffic lights are around a bend or obscured by a sign or shrubbery or another large vehicle ahead of you and another million and one other variable factors for that matter.

The point is these things will only ever be 100% accurate when they are applied in 100% ideal circumstances and situations.

The best I ever get is 28% that’s running 44 90% of the time

I find this a pile of ■■■.
It will only reward you with a percentage increase for large amounts of use of the exhaust brake.
I find using it and the truck revving its nuts off going from the gear to 2 gears below, not a good way to drive
My truck is used on the same route at the same weight everyday,
my mate gets 70plus %
I get 40s%
but my mpg is usuall better,

so explain that mr DAF

The 3 stage exhaust brake on the Volvo is far better than this set up,

But as said above, anyone that is monitored by this or a similar system, this dosn’t reward the drive that likes to anticipate and coast
it only rewards when the vehicle has been driven to fast and the exhaust brake is needed to bring the speed under control

When I got the lorry in my last job it was sitting on 38% and it soon went up too 64% with me driving but from there on it seemed to take forever. My final highest was 74% I gave up after that it started to to my head in. When people break hard or pull out in front of you it knocks you down loads but as soon as you start coasting and saving fuel it takes about a mile to give you any rewards.

I would get told great anticipation about 10 times without it adding not 1 reward. Then soon as I break hard it knocks everything down.

i think the videos just brainwashed me… :open_mouth:

robstracey:
The dashboard mounted nagging wife just gave me top marks for going round a roundabout that I go around every day. I have no idea what I did differently this time, so does anyone have a clue what the piece of [zb] is actually looking at?

Your use of brakes and anticipating. If you back off the throttle and hit the roundabout without stopping under engine braking you’ll get a good score.

Also if you do come to a complete stop as you mentioned, the more you use engine braking and the less you use the brakes or the lighter you press the brakes the higher score you get.

It will only reward you with a percentage increase for large amounts of use of the exhaust brake.
I find using it and the truck revving its nuts off going from the gear to 2 gears below, not a good way to drive

They designed it to work like that, all exhaust brakes are. Our trucks are now nudging 200k and are still just absolutely fine even though they can spend several miles descending from Stainmore at just below the redline.

TheNewBoy:

Wow thats crap. I’m at 80-90% running 44t most of the time including going down back roads on the unofficial A1 Scotch Corner roadwork diversions. Turn on descent speed control if you already haven’t and try looking a bit further than 6ft in front of you.

You really have to work hard to get it that low.

does it take in to account if you use a pto?

Conor:

TheNewBoy:

Wow thats crap. I’m at 80-90% running 44t most of the time including going down back roads on the unofficial A1 Scotch Corner roadwork diversions. Turn on descent speed control if you already haven’t and try looking a bit further than 6ft in front of you.

My vehicle does not have descent speed control & it’s a 12 speed manual

TheNewBoy:

Conor:

TheNewBoy:

That is bad. Blokes I know who do multidrop get better than that even in London.
I never bothered with the tutorials with the demo I drove. Just got in and drove it the same as I do with our own Dafs. Except the fact that ours are manuals.

TheNewBoy:

Conor:

TheNewBoy:

Jesus wept… :open_mouth:

Must be uncomfortable, driving with square tyres.

(Seriously, you need to work on your driving techniques. That is shocking.)

There’s nothing wrong with my driving

A braking score of 8 (eight).
6.8 mpg.

the prosecution has no further questions.
:laughing:

Just checked mine (Scania) 9.61 mpg
Anticipation 86 o/o
Overall score 80 o/o

Can I get a pay rise?