Daf LF 7.5 tonner payload

Any drivers/owners out there running one of these at 7.5 tons on livestock haulage?
Just that I am interested to know what they work out at ball-park for Tare and for payload with a container on…presumably if it was a lift-off box then it would weigh a bit more.

thanks

Not a great deal I’d say. The tippers only carry about 3.3-3.5t these days. The best payload for a 7.5ton chassis is probably the Mitsubishi Canter or Isuzu (about 500kgs more) but the cabs are poor compared to Daf.

visit a weighbridge.

ringfur:
visit a weighbridge.

Contender for most pointless reply this month. ↑
I think the OP wants to know before he buys one.

Richardjw1:
Any drivers/owners out there running one of these at 7.5 tons on livestock haulage?
Just that I am interested to know what they work out at ball-park for Tare and for payload with a container on…presumably if it was a lift-off box then it would weigh a bit more.

thanks

If your lucky you’ll get in in at about 5500kg empty , the box lifting off won’t make much difference as you’ll need extra strength in the floor if it’s not sat on a flatbed.

Muckaway:
Not a great deal I’d say. The tippers only carry about 3.3-3.5t these days. The best payload for a 7.5ton chassis is probably the Mitsubishi Canter or Isuzu (about 500kgs more) but the cabs are poor compared to Daf.

we run an isuzu 7.5t curtian sider with a tail lift on ADR work so with all the extinguishers and kit it ways in at 4400 tare , agree about the cabs small and cramped but does me for day work simple to maintain no air to go wrong as its ratchet handbrake and hydrualic brakes .have also driven the mitsubishi canter whilst on agency and would say avoid at all costs as they are truely horrible under powered piles off ■■■■ ! the dafs have a nice cab and can come with a good trim level but if had the choice would go for a high spec renault midlum

Denis, Muckaway, thanks for the replies.

So ball-park payload of about 2 tonnes or 40 fat lambs, I reckon an ifor williams trailer would carry that.

Our current haulier is wrapping up soon and the choices are not great, for sure the remaining customer base will be chasing up with the few remaining companies…the poor rates and aggro (from an owners point of view) are probably why so few people seem to be doing the small number/multi farm pick ups.

What had crossed my mind was to get a 7.5 tonner and do it ourselves (running to Exeter) then of course the question will come up from others who would also like a “few sheep” taking to market…and this is a whole new ball game with a hire/reward business which I am not sure we really need.

Richard

Richardjw1:

So ball-park payload of about 2 tonnes or 40 fat lambs, I reckon an ifor williams trailer would carry that.

Our current haulier is wrapping up soon and the choices are not great, for sure the remaining customer base will be chasing up with the few remaining companies…the poor rates and aggro (from an owners point of view) are probably why so few people seem to be doing the small number/multi farm pick ups.

What had crossed my mind was to get a 7.5 tonner and do it ourselves (running to Exeter) then of course the question will come up from others who would also like a “few sheep” taking to market…and this is a whole new ball game with a hire/reward business which I am not sure we really need.

Richard

as stated above we are getting a payload of 3.1 t on the isuzu take off the tail lift and your looking at another 500 kg which would be quite usefull for you

Richardjw1:

That about sums it up, unless you do what every other farmer with a 7.5 tonner does ( avoid weigh bridges) :grimacing:

Yes, small numbers are a pain in the arse :wink: Where are you and who is your current haulier ?

A ten/eleven tonner would better weight wise,but as you say it’s a whole new ball game for a couple of days a week .

Latique:

Richardjw1:

Richard

as stated above we are getting a payload of 3.1 t on the isuzu take off the tail lift and your looking at another 500 kg which would be quite usefull for you

A livestock container will weigh a lot more than a curtainsider though

where in the same boat as you, we have a 7.5 tonner a cargo,
it doesn’t hold enough fat lambs or stores!
hauliers are to unreliable for us even tho its always a full artic load- normally late or middle of night picking up and dropping off,
so were getting are own artic.
if you only need to move a few and you have a pick up its prob less stress and hassle with trailer, most big trailers will hold more than 7.5 ton anyway.

farmer28:
hauliers are to unreliable for us even tho its always a full artic load- normally late or middle of night picking up and dropping off,
if you only need to move a few and you have a pick up its prob less stress and hassle with trailer, most big trailers will hold more than 7.5 ton anyway.

With respect, 7.5 tonne MGW ( Maximum Gross Weight ). i.e. Prime Mover / Trailer + livestock
should not be greater than 7.5 tonne. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As for picking up other farmer’s stock, Then your ‘O’ Licence entitlement comes into question…
‘Restricted’ or ‘General’ use…

simon1958:

farmer28:

With respect, 7.5 tonne MGW ( Maximum Gross Weight ). i.e. Prime Mover / Trailer + livestock
should not be greater than 7.5 tonne. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As for picking up other farmer’s stock, Then your ‘O’ Licence entitlement comes into question…
‘Restricted’ or ‘General’ use…

He probably meant “a 7.5 ton”, in that case he was right a ifor williams trailer will have a legal payload of 2-2.5 tonnes which isn’t much different than a 7.5 tonner !

In practice they will all be stuffed full and well overweight :grimacing:

Other than the need for an HGV driver, which really can’t be that much of a problem, I would agree that a slightly heavier built vehicle ie 10/11t GVW would be a much better bet, allowing far greater flexibility without the worries about payload. It would be possible to spec it with either a flat/dropside/tipper body and lift on/off box or fully demountable alternative bodies. Obviously the last option would be more expensive.

Isuzu do lightweight 11 and 12 ton mgw trucks.

Thanks to everyone who replied. its been a kind of sanity check for me just to run the ideas past everyone and get the opinions.

Richard

I think OP needs to pm Dennis and say
how much for xyz or abc

Muckaway:

the whole vehicle is poor,absolute rubbish vehicles[well the old ones are don’t know if the new ones are any better]

truckman020:

Muckaway:

the whole vehicle is poor,absolute rubbish vehicles[well the old ones are don’t know if the new ones are any better]

High mileage, intense usage then yes they would be compared to other makes. They’re perfectly suitable for someone on locals, light usage etc. Very unlikely to see one at Truckfest covered in air horns and artwork but quite common on farms and building sites I’d say.

hitch:
I think OP needs to pm Dennis and say
how much for xyz or abc

Hitch, already done.