Daf dumping oil

DAF CF 75 360 six wheeled concrete mixer - Hi lads need some more advice I’m afraid, I think my trucks dead, she started to lose oil badly down the breather pipe, its not burning any that i can see of - on a sunny day you can see a very slight hue from exhaust when shes revving hard but nothing bad, she has the same engine as the eight wheeler mixers so shes not really working that hard, the oil is splattering all over the underneath of the truck - everywhere - it went through 25 litres in six weeks, I’ve had to take her off the road for a number of reasons, one of them being I’m a biker and oil and a wet road are a no no - shes at the garage now being looked at - any ideas — she started fine and runs fine a little under powered but dumping oil by the bucket load ---- help - oh by the way its the paccar 360 24valve engine

how old is it

very late 2005 - november i think my friend

If she is throwing oil rather than burning it… Its very easy when every thing is coated with oil to assume the worst. I would suggest your looking at a failed gasket rather than any thing more serious- but am not familiar with engine- I would suggest a deep steam clean and see where its seeping out from- if it is blowing out the breather pipe then you looking at excess pressure within the eigine- and that may be a tad more serious

PM Shuttlespanker, he’s well versed in DAFology. :wink:

Have a look at where the oil filler joins to the sump, the rubber pipe can perish and leak alot of oil.

thanks for your responses lads i dont think its a leak though , when i was unloading concrete and there was thick bluey white smoke coming out the breather pipe

is it back pressure from a worn compressor causing sump pressure iv had it on a fh 12 volvo disconnect the out pipe from the compressor see if the back pressure stops

If the smoke is white/blue then Mr Thief could be on the money, the blue smoke is burning oil, the white smoke is water/coolant, the compressor is watercooled, so that’s where the cross contamination is likely to come from if it’s coming out the breather, anything higher up in the top end would be getting blown out of the exhaust :wink:

the compressor i never knew that could have an effect on the engine - have any paccar 360’s done this before

The compressor has coolant/oil coming into it to stop it from seizing up, it’s a little engine really, but it produces compressed air, if that compressed air is getting past the piston inside it will pressurise your crankcase and oil will come out of the breather pipe.

As Keith suggested, it’s a simple thing to check out, 5mins with a spanner and you’ll have an answer, a lot cheaper than letting Daf anywhere near it :wink:

thanks lads i’ll call the garage and tell them an i’ll report back to you asap thanks again for your help

It may or may not affect your engine as i cant remember ,but if you have it ,remove the filter box the breather pipe goes in to…There is a modified box available

leedrivesatruck:
the compressor i never knew that could have an effect on the engine - have any paccar 360’s done this before

yep, mine needed a new compressor after the bearings collapsed on the compessor shaft, it also took the steering pump with it too as it and the fuel pump are connected too the compressor shaft, new compressor cost us just over a £1000 and was £230 for the steering pump

thanks scotstrucker - i just found out my engine is a PE -920 360 not a paccar 360 - did your engine dump its oil before you found out about the compressor, mine builds up air ok it does sound a little odd when its charging - what sort of symptom was your showing before you found this out , also what type of engine do you have thanks buddy, lee

Is it the 12 litre or the 9? In the 12 they are known for the head bolts stretching and causing a slight leak off the back of the engine, ours was done about 12 months ago.

12 litre engine is the XF /XE engine ,the bolts dont stretch ,the heads at the rear would crack and the gaskets weren’t great ,hence DAF moved to metal head gaskets…

Hi dew its the 9200 PE engine

Doesn’t help me I’m afraid - I know the 85/95/105 series are the 12.6 or 12.9 varients depending on age (Ours is an '05 CF85.340, 12.6 litre) but not sure on the 75.

I was slightly wrong on the stretching bolts my bad, I just know it was a gasket issue and caused a leak on the back of the engine. Not sure if the same problem can apply to your.

dew:
Doesn’t help me I’m afraid - I know the 85/95/105 series are the 12.6 or 12.9 varients depending on age (Ours is an '05 CF85.340, 12.6 litre) but not sure on the 75.

I was slightly wrong on the stretching bolts my bad, I just know it was a gasket issue and caused a leak on the back of the engine. Not sure if the same problem can apply to your.

the ‘gasket problem’ causes a coolant leak, not an oil leak :wink:

it is not the gaskets that fail, it is the head bolts, thy do not stretch though, where the bolts go in to the block, the holes go all the way through in to the water channel, as such, the bolts have a sealant on them, which after time, cracks, and coolant seeps past, this rises up the hole and then screws up the gaskets