Daf cf n/s/f brake sticks intermittently

Hi All.wondering if anyone has come across this problem.I got called out to a Daf cf 03 ish.6x2 Ridgid with rear lift axle.Driver reported n/s/f brake sticking on and getting extremely hot but by the time I got to him everything was back to normal and no sticking brake.There was signs that it had got hot.ive checked caliper is free.It has Spring brakes on front.Ive checked the chamber is not passing air.Just wondered if this might be a common problem.
Thanks in advance.

I’ve had this on the cf eight wheeler I drive,
Had the abs valve replaced and it seems to have cured it

And how did he know the front near side brake was sticking?
Another one who needs to feel important.
You get this tripe all the time.
If you go out to every defect these “experts” ring in with you will never get home. After you work at a place for a few months you get to know the drama queens and the blokes who dont need their ■■■ kissing every day.And believe me where ever you go you always get quite a few drama queens.
Think they are addicted to seeing orange beacons coming to their “rescue”
Same as you will always have some dik that feels the need to fill in a defect sheet every day.
Their day is just not complete without filling in that bit of paper.
You get used to this crap,just look at the name at the top of the defect sheet.
Seems to give these cretins some kind of “kick”

Not a common fault but as previously said ABS valve

bking to the rescue again. There’s nothing to worry about, the driver’s a ■■■■■■, everyone’s a ■■■■■■ cos he said so. So there were signs it had overheated, but take no notice of that. Norb knows nothing either, cos bking says different. Now that’s a real dyed in the wool ■■■■■■. :unamused:

My lad just turned up outside our house in an 8w tipper. He’s worked on loads of DAFs and suggested the fault’s at a 6 way valve block next to the air drying unit under the drive’s side floorwell. Hope that helps.

S

Had the same on 8 legger, chamber was back feeding and brakes would “creep” on,

Bking:
And how did he know the front near side brake was sticking?

Steering pulls to the left, smell of hot brakes on that side, can see smoke rising from them, blueing on the brake disc…

Another one who needs to feel important.

No, you’re just a clueless prick.

Same as you will always have some dik that feels the need to fill in a defect sheet every day.

Because you’re supposed to and write NIL DEFECT if there aren’t any. How else are you to prove to VOSA that you’ve done your daily checks?

I hope to god you’re not involved with putting a spanner anywhere near a truck because its quite clear you clearly don’t have the first clue.

simon1958:
My lad just turned up outside our house in an 8w tipper. He’s worked on loads of DAFs and suggested the fault’s at a 6 way valve block next to the air drying unit under the drive’s side floorwell. Hope that helps.

S

Simon ,generally with the 6 way protection valve ,port 25 sticks ,there a non return valve in it and that will cause the handbrake not to release ,the only other fault that causes sticking brakes on that valve is if the governor lets it build too much pressure ,the gauges then go back to zero ,Not having a dig by the way :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

peterm:
bking to the rescue again. There’s nothing to worry about, the driver’s a ■■■■■■, everyone’s a ■■■■■■ cos he said so. So there were signs it had overheated, but take no notice of that. Norb knows nothing either, cos bking says different. Now that’s a real dyed in the wool ■■■■■■. :unamused:

Pete ,I have shot him down so often with DAF I just laugh at his rantings…I think he’s probably a ■■■■■ at work and wont say boo to anyone ,and comes on here to spout off…People on the forum know who to and who not to listen to

norb:

simon1958:

S

Simon ,generally with the 6 way protection valve ,port 25 sticks ,there a non return valve in it and that will cause the handbrake not to release ,the only other fault that causes sticking brakes on that valve is if the governor lets it build too much pressure ,the gauges then go back to zero ,Not having a dig by the way :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Thanks for the feedback there norb, as for the dig, none taken :slight_smile: . As for the brake fault theory, that was my laddo’s suggestion. He’s the one who went to college and did his apprenticeship for HGV Mechs. These days, he could have the engine & transmission out of anything in a fraction of the time it would take me :slight_smile: . Me getting old :open_mouth: . Cost me a bloody fortune in MECCANO and food when out on the road. He was 10 years on the spanners & welding; got his rigid licence last year and passed his class 1 last Thursday.

Personally, the last time I worked under a truck ( ironically a DAF ) was that harsh hard winter we had a few years back. Straight forward quick fix:- Drive axle to load sensing valve flexy coupling perished and snapped. Amazing what you can do with some insulation tape and a spare electrical small screwdriver ( splint ).

Thanks again for the info.

S

“And no sign it had got hot”
Whenever a brake “sticks” it gets hot.
Drama queen and her entourage cant call a ■■■■■■■■ artist a ■■■■■■■■ artist.
Might just show them for what they are.

norb:

How does an abs valve cause a “sticking” brake?
The ABS valve releases the brake and if it fails it still releases the brake
Do you know wtf your are talking about?

I’ve had it happen both sides at different times,always second steer axle,both times it was the abs valve.
And Bking-guess what? On both occasions I realised the brake was sticking because it pulled to that side/I could feel the brakes dragging/that particular hub was far hotter than the others and I could smell hot brakes- that led me to the obvious conclusion the brakes were sticking .but what would I know-just a driver,not an "expert "like yourself
Expert at ■■■■ all more like…

andrew.s:
I’ve had it happen both sides at different times,always second steer axle,both times it was the abs valve.
And Bking-guess what? On both occasions I realised the brake was sticking because it pulled to that side/I could feel the brakes dragging/that particular hub was far hotter than the others and I could smell hot brakes- that led me to the obvious conclusion the brakes were sticking .but what would I know-just a driver,not an "expert "like yourself
Expert at [zb] all more like…

And did it “blue” or cook the discs or discolour the caliper or even burn the pads NO?
then your talkin bollox.
Another drama queen?

Bking:

andrew.s:
Expert at [zb] all more like…

And did it “blue” or cook the discs or discolour the caliper or even burn the pads NO?
then your talkin bollox.
Another drama queen?

Yes it did cook the disks.hope that helps
Why do you feel the need to be so argumentative/confrontational all the time?
It really does make you look like a right prick.

Bking:

norb:

How does an abs valve cause a “sticking” brake?
The ABS valve releases the brake and if it fails it still releases the brake
Do you know wtf your are talking about?

Do you?

Andrew s …honestly you don’t have to justify yourself to bking …One thing I have learned in all the years of working on vehicles is that you get faults that don’t make sense,Ive had vehicle that drive ,which when you look at the range change should never had moved …Only a month ago where I work had this very situation ,it was a sticking offside brake ,customer had already changed the brake chamber (spring brake ) after all the normal checks we changed the abs valve ,and we have spoken to the customer since and the vehicle is ok ,not a hint of a fault…Now if plebhead wants I will explain how a abs valve works ,but much like a previous thread on turbos it would be a waste …but I will see if I can find the turbo one ,you will love it

Is that the one where old ■■■■’ead reckons a turbo can’t cause an engine to run away ? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

norb:
Andrew s …honestly you don’t have to justify yourself to bking …One thing I have learned in all the years of working on vehicles is that you get faults that don’t make sense,Ive had vehicle that drive ,which when you look at the range change should never had moved …Only a month ago where I work had this very situation ,it was a sticking offside brake ,customer had already changed the brake chamber (spring brake ) after all the normal checks we changed the abs valve ,and we have spoken to the customer since and the vehicle is ok ,not a hint of a fault…Now if plebhead wants I will explain how a abs valve works ,but much like a previous thread on turbos it would be a waste …but I will see if I can find the turbo one ,you will love it

Hahaha-I remember it Norb
I wouldn’t let that ■■■■■■■ idiot anywhere near a lorry unless it was to wash it !!!