DAF astronic. what a piece of doo doo

Drove my first daf auto box today,12speed arsetronic on an 8 wheeler tipper/grab.
What a nightmare.
The looks i got on roundybouts and at junctions…
Easy to use but come on . . .
Was on a 06 but i assume things have improved with newer versions ?

Nope still left hanging after pulling :cry: onto a roundabout!

The embarrassment… oh my…

Try learning how to drive it.

If it doesn’t say I-Shift on the side, then its a pile of Doo Doo!! :laughing:

Automatic Ivecos are cack too, take about 3 seconds to actually get moving, long enough for the situation to have radically changed.

same box as in a MAN use them properly and i dont think they are too bad at all
you need to flick it into manual a lot of the time to get the best out of them

BanburyDan:
Automatic Ivecos are cack too, take about 3 seconds to actually get moving, long enough for the situation to have radically changed.

I think Daf, Man and Iveco use the same ZF astronic autobox so that might explain that one.

I had an auto DAF for a couple of years and drive one a couple of nights a week now. No problems with the auto box, not as good as the i-shift but close.

chaversdad:

Drove a Stralis for 2 years and found it not too bad either. One you get used to the way the autobox works, you can do roundabouts without finding a box of neutrals. Just takes a bit more thought. Now i have a Renault Premium with Optidriver/I-Shift and it does all the thinking. Great autobox!!! :smiley:

Like i said i know how it works,but its a pile of doo doo.
Obviously some may think its an amazing box but not me.
Maybe its ok for motorway mainly stuff but running around one of our biggest capital cities is another story.

Daf autos are crap, press the loud pedal and 2 days later it moves forward :laughing:
I-shift is a million times better but I have to keep pressing the E/P button to knock it into Power mode :sunglasses: when approaching a hill otherwise it does not change gear until I have dropped 10+MPH

Satan was in a particularly beligerant mood one day and designed this most useless pile of ■■■.

They might be OK for tiddling about with RDC runs with a few bread rolls with no tight manoeuvers to worry about, but expect them to do some proper work like hills and traffic then i’m afraid the designeer didn’t have a days work in mind…mind you they suit the new breed of driver cos they haven’t got a bloody days work in 'em either… :smiling_imp:

What beats me is how they ever got the things past type approval, plain brown envelopes?

How come Volvo’s, even going back to an FL10 i had with geartronic would and will always be in the correct gear every single time with no poncing about and that was nigh on twenty years ago they started, yet these latest ones are rubbish…Iveco take the honours for crap installation though, i especially like the hill hold facility timed to not allow for the rest period required for the box to take up drive again on an incline…hill hold releases about a second or so before the box has worked out what to do, brilliant.

chaversdad:

Not being sarcastic but if I had an auto box which you had to flick into manual a lot of the time then I personally would think it IS a bad box,in that it isn’t doing it’s job.

Juddian:
Satan was in a particularly beligerant mood one day and designed this most useless pile of ■■■.

They might be OK for tiddling about with RDC runs with a few bread rolls with no tight manoeuvers to worry about, but expect them to do some proper work like hills and traffic then i’m afraid the designeer didn’t have a days work in mind…mind you they suit the new breed of driver cos they haven’t got a bloody days work in 'em either… :smiling_imp:

What beats me is how they ever got the things past type approval, plain brown envelopes?

How come Volvo’s, even going back to an FL10 i had with geartronic would and will always be in the correct gear every single time with no poncing about and that was nigh on twenty years ago they started, yet these latest ones are rubbish…Iveco take the honours for crap installation though, i especially like the hill hold facility timed to not allow for the rest period required for the box to take up drive again on an incline…hill hold releases about a second or so before the box has worked out what to do, brilliant.

Iveco is the only truck i know that rolls back on you witht the hill hold ON. :imp:

thispost comes up now and then, i drive a 105 with the so called autotragic box an i think it’s fine! it does whats asked of it, ok it’s not as rapid as an i shift which i had for 3 yrs , and has a little less fine control when reversing, but its still a nice stress free drive, as for capital cities i do 8 to 10 drops london every mon n tues an it copes fine. i often wonder what you going to do with all that extra time u save with an i shift?? is everybody in that much of a hurry? chill man, kick back, enjoy :smiley:

blade 68:
thispost comes up now and then, i drive a 105 with the so called autotragic box an i think it’s fine! it does whats asked of it, ok it’s not as rapid as an i shift which i had for 3 yrs , and has a little less fine control when reversing, but its still a nice stress free drive, as for capital cities i do 8 to 10 drops london every mon n tues an it copes fine. i often wonder what you going to do with all that extra time u save with an i shift?? is everybody in that much of a hurry? chill man, kick back, enjoy :smiley:

Yes but try reversing a Cf auto with asthmatic box on a wet landfill…hilarious, and crap for slow reversing on customers sites.

I reckon mine was built on a friday cause it is a brutal box its got so much lag, but when i drive one of its sisters they are fine to drive. Cant explain it really :confused:

BanburyDan:

interesting when you stall one too , when it forgets to put the clutch in :laughing:

Muckaway:

blade 68:

Yes but try reversing a Cf auto with asthmatic box on a wet landfill…hilarious, and crap for slow reversing on customers sites.

Muckaway i have tried all of those situation and more yes the i-shift is a better box but the AsTronic is more than up to the job.You have to remember its a semi automatic gearbox not a physic gearbox it cant see.As you know who i work for 98% of the fleet is autos so they cant be that bad