DAF 95 / Cummins engine

Daf 95 500 were only made in 95/96 in left hand drive and with a limited run of 276. I had one only reason for selling was fuel consumption 6.5-7mpg

Hey, there was 530 version too, but 500 or 530 no one sold well, and the electronic management of the engine doen’t bothered with the Daf computers in it.

Bye Eric,

8LXBV8BRIAN:
You could get the ■■■■■■■ 500 think they called it the Signature series engine came in 4x2 only :frowning: , as i made enquiries for a 6x2 twin steer space cab 95 back then.

They were fitted with the N14 ■■■■■■■ - this was not the same engine as the Signature. I think the Signature was only available in the USA (or plant applications in this country). The injection system is completely different on the two engine types.

great motor went like stink only did them in LHD super space cab 95/96

Quality engine, knocked spots off the DAF 530. DAF should have stuck with ■■■■■■■ and went with the later 525 and then with the Signiture, would of been an awsome unit with the combination of that engine and the later Superspace cab. The cab may be getting long in tooth, but cant knock Daf for not getting the best out of it, for out & out living space you cant beat the square box.

Regards Chris.

Agree with ya there Straight Eight that would of been some motor, but I didn’t realise that when the XF was first released the top power 530 was still the ■■■■■■■ engine but in later 525 guise. This must be an even rarer unit to find I think it was made until 2000. If you look on YouTube there’s a 6x4 heavy haulage unit in Spain with this engine in it. I wonder if there are any in the uk■■?

ERF ECX:
Agree with ya there Straight Eight that would of been some motor, but I didn’t realise that when the XF was first released the top power 530 was still the ■■■■■■■ engine but in later 525 guise. This must be an even rarer unit to find I think it was made until 2000. If you look on YouTube there’s a 6x4 heavy haulage unit in Spain with this engine in it. I wonder if there are any in the uk■■?

Yes, have seen on in the UK - left ■■■■■■.

ERF ECX:

Did the later version of the 530 XF have an uprated DAF engine in place of the ■■■■■■■ 525?

Present DAFs only go up to 510bhp- have Paccar missed an opportunity, in declining to engineer the Signature into the European chassis?

I dont think the signature was what it was cracked up to be. I seem to recall there were a lot of issues with it in America as it may have suffered with cracked heads.

Lusk:
I dont think the signature was what it was cracked up to be. I seem to recall there were a lot of issues with it in America as it may have suffered with cracked heads.

Yes, I remember reading of problems with it, when it first came out. However, it is still in production, so they must have sorted it out, to some acceptable state. There are reports all over the internet of problems with emissions equipment on it, from about five years ago, but most of the US engine builders caught a cold with the emissions nonsense- Caterpillar’s brave attempt to engineer their way around the requirement for EGR resulted in fouled injectors and particulate filters, for example.

Since DAF stopped offering the 530bhp engine, they have lagged further and further behind. There is now legislation pending in Scandinavia, which permits 76 tonne vehicles with 8bhp/tonne minimum. The rest of Europe will follow, inevitably, at some stage. Paccar does not have a product to meet these requirements. If they are eventually forced to enter the 600+bhp European market, it will be with an engine which is unfamiliar to European operators, which seems like poor planning. A Signature-engined DAF (or Foden) would have given them a foothold, at least.

bullitt:
I think originally the ■■■■■■■ was only available in a left ■■■■■■ version! Could well be wrong though :smiley: :wink:

I think our very own Wheelnut could give us some definitive answers, safe to say he is a DAF man! :wink:

Not me. I never got on with those 95 Dafs. My loyalty finished after the 3600. I changed my allegiance to MAN :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:

bullitt:
I think originally the ■■■■■■■ was only available in a left ■■■■■■ version! Could well be wrong though :smiley: :wink:

I think our very own Wheelnut could give us some definitive answers, safe to say he is a DAF man! :wink:

Not me. I never got on with those 95 Dafs. My loyalty finished after the 3600. I changed my allegiance to MAN :stuck_out_tongue:

DAF to MAN :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

[zb]
anorak:

Lusk:

Yes, I remember reading of problems with it, when it first came out. However, it is still in production, so they must have sorted it out, to some acceptable state. There are reports all over the internet of problems with emissions equipment on it, from about five years ago, but most of the US engine builders caught a cold with the emissions nonsense- Caterpillar’s brave attempt to engineer their way around the requirement for EGR resulted in fouled injectors and particulate filters, for example.

Since DAF stopped offering the 530bhp engine, they have lagged further and further behind. There is now legislation pending in Scandinavia, which permits 76 tonne vehicles with 8bhp/tonne minimum. The rest of Europe will follow, inevitably, at some stage. Paccar does not have a product to meet these requirements. If they are eventually forced to enter the 600+bhp European market, it will be with an engine which is unfamiliar to European operators, which seems like poor planning. A Signature-engined DAF (or Foden) would have given them a foothold, at least.

Hey Anorak, Daf was never on top of HP (except for a while with the ■■■■■■■■ but took the market step by step here with the force of Paccar.
And think if it comes they will have the solution. And weight where is the time of 8 hp/ton 304 was enough but most did 320 but for the further 2 tonnes it took 15 years or so,and by than all had over 400hp. And the same with the 44 tonnes limit,it is a difficult story,even the US is still different after decades.

Bye Eric,

Wheel Nut:

:laughing: :laughing: …And don’t we all love a 3300 / 3600 Space Cab! :wink:

Oh, Yes! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

on one of the HEAVY HAULAGE IN ACTION video,s there is a 6x4 left ■■■■■■ belonging to ECONFREIGHT it has a ■■■■■■■ badge on it and at one point it is filmed coming down a hill and the jake brake is working hard

Ok, I’m new to this. While u are chatting about the daf 95 500, does any body know of any old scrappers kicking about. I’m stuck for a few panels that I can’t get any more as mines got some bits that could do with replacing. It’s like trying to find rocking horse ■■■. Corner wind deflectors needed as I bumped one. I know it’s a long shot but any parts for 95’s (pre- xf’s)would be considered. Oh, and yes, it’s an 14 n 500, PROPER truck

Wasnt the original mad max daf (the one owned by craig potter) a 500 ■■■■■■■ powerd daf

scotstrucker:
Wasnt the original mad max daf (the one owned by craig potter) a 500 ■■■■■■■ powerd daf

Hello scotstrucker, yes the Potter 95 was ■■■■■■■ powered, not sure what ever happened to the unit after Craig had it though?
Chris.

Read the other say that ■■■■■■■ have produced a new engine the 13ltr Isz of which there are three fitted to Ginafs running in the Paris Dakar rally.
Maybe Daf will take these to replace the Paccarr Mx unit, would be great to see ■■■■■■■ make a comeback in the heavy market, let’s be honest they know how to make an engine look at the technology the Nte had way back in the 70’s 24valves, high pressure fuel system, all raved about today but tried and tested by ■■■■■■■ many moons ago.
To me the 14 ltr ■■■■■■■ was the best engine ever, you only have to talk to people who ran them, they,ll tell you the same legendary performance and durability.