cyclists

blue estate:
Yes but the [zb] cycle down country lanes in packs!
I seen it to many times in West Sussex when I was doing parcels in a vans

How is that relevant? Drivers driving down narrow, winding, country roads at a speed too fast to be able to stop within the distance they can see to be clear, plough into either a single cyclist or a group of cyclists (or a tractor, or a slow truck on farm deliveries squeezing through the lane), etc. and apparently it’s the cyclists’ fault for being there. If they cycle on main roads then people complain. If they cycle on the smaller country roads, people complain.

So, a number of cars driving together down a country lane (because the one at the front is going slower than the ones behind would want to go) would consider to be “[zb]s driving down a country lane in packs”, would it?

MrFlibble:

blue estate:

How is that relevant? Drivers driving down narrow, winding, country roads at a speed too fast to be able to stop within the distance they can see to be clear, plough into either a single cyclist or a group of cyclists (or a tractor, or a slow truck on farm deliveries squeezing through the lane), etc. and apparently it’s the cyclists’ fault for being there. If they cycle on main roads then people complain. If they cycle on the smaller country roads, people complain.

So, a number of cars driving together down a country lane (because the one at the front is going slower than the ones behind would want to go) would consider to be “[zb]s driving down a country lane in packs”, would it?

I think he’s meaning the 2 a breast brigade

i can tell you there are some cyclists still breathing today thanks to me watching the roads when driving.Once 5 yes 5 idiots rode straight on at a stop sign I had a split second to think should I take them all out or let them live. I let them live that time. I didn’t fancy doing time as I would have been blamed as they never do anything wrong. They were riding along oblivious to to the traffic listening to their music. I think all cyclists should have to pay road tax for using the road and have insurance as well and also have to do a course on safe cycling where they might learn to stop at stop signs not use pedestrian crossings and not ride in packs and many other things they assume is their right.
There are some good cyclists on the roads but they are few and far between.

Years ago I knocked a young lad down on a bike. I was in the car turning right at lights luckily I was just in 2nd gear and slow when the next thing I heard a noise and felt a bump. Jaysus this young lad was lying on the road I was worried called the cops put out my triangle and waited. Cops said he had no light on the bike was wearing dark clothes and it turned out he was partially sighted and deaf. Police said he should never have been on the road and we took him home and cops insisted his ma paid for the damage to my car.They said it was not my fault thank god. Since then I am always aware of cyclists but they are not aware of traffic. Most that get killed are killed by their own stupidity by not knowing about trucks about believing they always are in the right and by not paying attention while listening to music as they ride how can they hear traffic with headphones on. A car or truck driver would be hammered for driving with headphones on while driving. one law for them and one for everyone else

Rant over

Bit like the crazy barsteward the was cycling up the A90 last night at 6:30 pm around Hillside
area. Not the best decision at that time.
Much as I like cycling it certainly wouldn’t be around there on that road.

volvo2:
Years ago I knocked a young lad down on a bike. I was in the car turning right at lights luckily I was just in 2nd gear and slow when the next thing I heard a noise and felt a bump. Jaysus this young lad was lying on the road I was worried called the cops put out my triangle and waited. Cops said he had no light on the bike was wearing dark clothes and it turned out he was partially sighted and deaf. Police said he should never have been on the road and we took him home and cops insisted his ma paid for the damage to my car.They said it was not my fault thank god. Since then I am always aware of cyclists but they are not aware of traffic. Most that get killed are killed by their own stupidity by not knowing about trucks about believing they always are in the right and by not paying attention while listening to music as they ride how can they hear traffic with headphones on. A car or truck driver would be hammered for driving with headphones on while driving. one law for them and one for everyone else

Rant over

In the mean time, and in a bid to improve audible awareness for all road users, all cars and trucks are to have their side windows removed and all radios / hi-fi will be disabled in moving vehicles. :laughing:

I have never cycled with headphones on but have been told by others it makes little difference to being able to hear other traffic, I’m not sure I believe them, it must make some difference.

One thing that does make a big difference is wind direction, if you are cycling into a strong wind it is very difficult to hear vehicles approaching from behind, so if you know you are driving into a strong wind and you are approaching a cyclist then bear in mind he may not hear you until you are quite close.

have been told by others it makes little difference to being able to hear other traffic

O yes it does make a difference.

Cyclists two a breast makes them easier to spot on country
roads, hence why when in a convoy you see two at the front and two at the rear.

ajt:

MrFlibble:

blue estate:

I think he’s meaning the 2 a breast brigade

And more ! one day there was a group of about 7

Why are professional truckers still banging on about road tax.There is no such thing,if V.E.D. was introduced for cyclists then as a bike has zero emissions there would be nothing to pay.

saw another cracker tonight ! :unamused: on the A27 cycling west on the dual carriageway just west of the Fishbourne roundabout heading west towards Havant :open_mouth: why cycle along the dual carriageway when there’s the old A27 to go along and a lot safer

rocketsquadron:
have been told by others it makes little difference to being able to hear other traffic

O yes it does make a difference.

Depends on the type of headphones (normal vs noise isolating), and how loud you have them. If you turn up the volume to stupid levels, then yes, you can drown out all outside noise. Just as someone with a car stereo can even drown out the noise of a police/ambulance/fire siren behind them.

I have, very occasionally, used headphones whilst cycling. Last time was probably more than 10 years ago. When I do, the volume is set extremely low - so low, in fact, than not only can I hear other traffic, but that the noise from that traffic passing completely drowns out the headphones. I’d be willing to bet that I could still hear what’s going on around me better than anyone driving a car.

Just because you see a cyclist wearing headphones, doesn’t mean that they have the volume turned up.

m.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/14500055 … f=mr&lp=18
I hope the truck was FORS registered. :laughing:

Muckaway:
Collision on Magdalen Bridge causes delays at The Plain, and on Iffley and Cowley roads | Oxford Mail
I hope the truck was FORS registered. :laughing:

Hmmm, it probably wasn’t parked correctly, badly parked vehicles are a menace!

Went in bike shop to get wife a new one, most if not all of the cycle clothes were black my argument is if a hgv needs marker boards and lights on it in order for it to be visible then it must follow that black for cyclists is a no no should be banned they should be compelled to wear bright orange ect,Mirrors should be fitted along with a sort of mot certificate

fuse:
Went in bike shop to get wife a new one, most if not all of the cycle clothes were black my argument is if a hgv needs marker boards and lights on it in order for it to be visible then it must follow that black for cyclists is a no no should be banned they should be compelled to wear bright orange ect,Mirrors should be fitted along with a sort of mot certificate

I presume you’re also going to ban black (and all other dark-coloured) cars, then?

MrFlibble:
I presume you’re also going to ban black (and all other dark-coloured) cars, then?

Only if they don’t come with lights fitted, and only at night. The main difference being that if someone doesn’t spot a dark coloured car and collides with it then the safety features (airbags etc) will mitigate most injuries. Someone collides with a cyclist in dark clothing and there’s only going to be one winner.

Muckaway:
Cyclists two a breast makes them easier to spot on country
roads, hence why when in a convoy you see two at the front and two at the rear.

That’s not why they do it. They own the road because they wear licra.

MrFlibble:

Its hardly an equal comparison is it

Point taken that VED, were it to be levied on bikes would be zero, but as a road using vehicle then they should be regulated as much as other road users. At all times, when on a public road, all of the mandatory equipment has to work, i.e. lights, horn, brakes and tyres, so what about bikes.
Many have no front light, using only a reflector. Some of the rear lights are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard with a lumens output of about 1. The tyres and brakes may be fitted, but would they stop the bike, complete with rider, within a defined distance?
How many are fitted with a warning device, bell or horn, which is audible above traffic noise.
Both drivers and cyclists use headphones, and believe me, if you put anything in your ear, some attenuation is unavoidable, I have just had to stop cycling but hope to go back, but when out I had a full kit, including lights that worked, and a bell which was a carry over from a Dutch holiday. I wore extremely bright clothing, and believe me , at my size it isn’t a pretty sight, but no one could say they hadn’t seen me.
And finally, what about a bit of tolerance both ways.

fuse:

Mirrors basically don’t work on a bike (too much vibration) and they are not necessary, I’m obsessed with what is happening behind me (too much time spent driving) and on a bike it is really easy to look over your shoulder, and it is amazing what info you get from your hearing, you soon even learn the attitude of the person who is about to pass.
MOT ? are un-road-worthy bikes a problem ? I see no benefits for such a scheme.

But I do agree with you on being seen, bright clothing is an absolute must for me, I rarely wear a helmet but I never go out without making an effort to be visible. I have seen too many total numpties on the road when driving to ever trust anyone about to overtake me, especially now with the scourge of the mobile phone and the morons who text and facebook when driving. And then there are those with poor vision, everyone driving should have to pass the same eyesight tests as for trucks.

and to @bigchiefs thoughts on lights and horns.
Use of horn just annoys other road users, it is basically shouting-at, telling-off other road users, I stopped using it years ago as a driver, it just antagonisers others, and the last thing you want to do when vulnerably wobbling around on two wheels is antagonise some over emotional volcano in his silly little car. Jeez, I have seen loons swerve in front of a 44 tonner and slam on the brakes cause I’ve had the temerity to toot my horn. What on earth would they do to me if I’m on a bike?

Lights, they are never going to be able to compete with the high powered day time running lights of cars, so no point in having them during the day. I have three rear red flashers if I know I’m going to be out in poor vis, but most of the time I don’t carry them, and if I do find myself in poor light I usually get off when someone is about to pass (I ride on very quiet roads)