cyclists

driving along the A419 today and ahead of me fellow hgv drivers were pulling out into the outside lane,i wondered why until I saw a cyclist in full lycra gear riding along,i then had to pull out to avoid him,my point is why the heck do these cyclists risk their lives on a road which is not much different to a motorway,meaning vehicles [cars] do 70mph plus,HGVs do 56mph,i personally believe like motorways they should be banned from duel carriageways,they are a hazard to other road users on such roads and coming back
the other way HGVs were again braking and pulling out for another cyclist,may even have been the same cyclist[full lycra gear again]all they do is risk their own lives,all it takes is one driver not concentraing and bang one dead or seriously injured cyclist

Its weird isn’t it, why anyone would go on a road like that on a bicycle is beyond my comprehension. Have just looked at the traffic counts for that road, 35,000 per day (just south if cirencester), that is a seriously busy road, and I could imagine it to be fast and furious. It puzzles me how a cyclist could get a mile without being killed or causing an accident.

I have become an obsessive cyclist since I retired, just love it, I’m out most days. Did 25 mile this afternoon, seen about 10 other vehicles including a well behaved tipper, cycling can be a wonderful way to enjoy the countrysdie (even with heavy snow showers like today). But going on a busy dual carriageway like that? never in a million years.

Hopefully some spotty youths in a Corsa happyslapped him as they went past.

And with a bit of luck he also got a puncture.

I agree. I’m a cyclist and an HGV driver. I can’t see where the enjoyment would be in cycling on a road like that. Before I started tramping i commuted to work on my bike, but if it was a road like that I wouldn’t even have done that.

Where I used to live in rural Herefordshire, if I wanted to go anywhere without going several miles out of my way on country lanes, I would have to ride 2 to 3 miles on the A40 dual. Frankly you get used to it, its just like riding on any other road.

Yes we could be hit by any errant driver not paying attention, but then we could on any other road, in fact all of my cycling accidents have been on country lanes or in towns, very rarely did I have any problems on the dual.

If vehicles are having to brake and pull out in a sudden fashion then they are obviously not paying attention to the road ahead of them.

What really annoys me is the cyclists using the A40 past Northolt Airfield while there’s a perfectly good cycle lane over to the left that’s completely separate from the dual carriageway, they sit in lane 1 making everything move out to overtake.

How is this for a counter point. There had been a serious crash on the A90 about 6 miles south of Stonehaven. I was riding my bike on the country roads but had to join the main road for the last few miles into Stoney.The northbound c. way was closed so I reckoned that I would ride along that and be away from the traffic.The plod stopped me and made quite a fuss ,they even charged me with cycling the wrong way up the duel c way.I pointed out that as the road was closed it was the safest place for me to be.This was beyond their comprehension.They made me ride among the fast traffic on the south bound.They told me to look out for a summons but as it was about 6 months ago I dont expect to hear any more about it.

I’ve seen people cycling up the A34 before, even seen a family with kids cycling along near Islip. Never seen what I’d call a proper cyclist ie lycra clad road racer/club rider on the A34 but always scruffy sightly retarded looking people. Between Oxford and Bicester there are loads of nice back roads so why not use them?

I had to overtake 2 of them going over the Orwell Bridge towards Copdock two weeks ago. God alone knows where they had come from but I would rather take my chances through Ipswich centre than cycle that stretch! (I’m speaking hypothetically…I am not a cyclist)

I much prefer cycling through woods on narrow tracks, it gets the adrenaline pumping!
Maybe some have other ways of getting their fix? Crazy I know but just saying…

P.S. As a the full on Lycra lover can spend up to a grand on a set of rims, there are those that won’t use a cycle path, as they won’t even go over a dropped kerb if they can avoid it. Maybe they think their safety is worth less than a grand…

Born Idle:
I had to overtake 2 of them going over the Orwell Bridge towards Copdock two weeks ago. God alone knows where they had come from but I would rather take my chances through Ipswich centre than cycle that stretch! (I’m speaking hypothetically…I am not a cyclist)

You didn’t have to overtake… just go straight over the top of 'em. :wink:

truckman020:
driving along the A419 today and ahead of me fellow hgv drivers were pulling out into the outside lane,i wondered why until I saw a cyclist in full lycra gear riding along,i then had to pull out to avoid him,my point is why the heck do these cyclists risk their lives on a road which is not much different to a motorway

Perhaps they consider it to be safer cycling there than on the narrow, twisting, country roads which idiots insist on driving down at stupid speeds. At least on a road like the A419 there is better visibility, and the cyclist has a chance of getting out of the way of an incompetent idiot coming up behind them (if they’re using a mirror), whereas on a winding country road with high hedges, there’s nothing you can do - no visibility of what’s coming up (ahead or behind), and nowhere to go in an emergency.

Of course, if a cyclist were hit and killed by a truck on this road, I’m sure the TNUK CSI would blame the cyclist for being there, but if it were a broken down car/truck/bus, they’d blame the truck driver for his/her bad driving.

Bluey Circles:
Its weird isn’t it, why anyone would go on a road like that on a bicycle is beyond my comprehension. Have just looked at the traffic counts for that road, 35,000 per day (just south if cirencester), that is a seriously busy road, and I could imagine it to be fast and furious. It puzzles me how a cyclist could get a mile without being killed or causing an accident.

I have become an obsessive cyclist since I retired, just love it, I’m out most days. Did 25 mile this afternoon, seen about 10 other vehicles including a well behaved tipper, cycling can be a wonderful way to enjoy the countrysdie (even with heavy snow showers like today). But going on a busy dual carriageway like that? never in a million years.

glad you are enjoying your retirement,25 miles fair play to you, that’s good,but as you say not on a dual carriageway

GORDON 50:
What really annoys me is the cyclists using the A40 past Northolt Airfield while there’s a perfectly good cycle lane over to the left that’s completely separate from the dual carriageway, they sit in lane 1 making everything move out to overtake.

that’s what annoys me too,if you manage to talk to these cyclists about it you get the reply that and I quote we are not obliged to use them,unquote,yet they are the first to moan about not having enough cycle lanes

alamcculloch:
How is this for a counter point. There had been a serious crash on the A90 about 6 miles south of Stonehaven. I was riding my bike on the country roads but had to join the main road for the last few miles into Stoney.The northbound c. way was closed so I reckoned that I would ride along that and be away from the traffic.The plod stopped me and made quite a fuss ,they even charged me with cycling the wrong way up the duel c way.I pointed out that as the road was closed it was the safest place for me to be.This was beyond their comprehension.They made me ride among the fast traffic on the south bound.They told me to look out for a summons but as it was about 6 months ago I dont expect to hear any more about it.

they were trying to scare you I reckon,after six months I don’t think they can do anything

Muckaway:
I’ve seen people cycling up the A34 before, even seen a family with kids cycling along near Islip. Never seen what I’d call a proper cyclist ie lycra clad road racer/club rider on the A34 but always scruffy sightly retarded looking people. Between Oxford and Bicester there are loads of nice back roads so why not use them?

+1

A63 between Gilberdyke and North Ferriby regularly run cycling time trials. About ten miles of lycra in both directions on the main road. IIRC one died not too long ago when one rode into the back of someone towing a caravan, but that’s the only fatality I know of.

MrFlibble:

truckman020:
driving along the A419 today and ahead of me fellow hgv drivers were pulling out into the outside lane,i wondered why until I saw a cyclist in full lycra gear riding along,i then had to pull out to avoid him,my point is why the heck do these cyclists risk their lives on a road which is not much different to a motorway

Perhaps they consider it to be safer cycling there than on the narrow, twisting, country roads which idiots insist on driving down at stupid speeds. At least on a road like the A419 there is better visibility, and the cyclist has a chance of getting out of the way of an incompetent idiot coming up behind them (if they’re using a mirror), whereas on a winding country road with high hedges, there’s nothing you can do - no visibility of what’s coming up (ahead or behind), and ewnowhere to go in an emergency.

Of course, if a cyclist were hit and killed by a truck on this road, I’m sure the TNUK CSI would blame the cyclist for being there, but if it were a broken down car/truck/bus, they’d blame the truck driver for his/her bad driving.

WTF? How many cyclists utilize rear view mirrors FFS? Haven’t seen one on a pushbike since Raleigh choppers were in vogue. And no, not helmet or sunglasses mounted either. :unamused:

MrFlibble:

truckman020:

Perhaps they consider it to be safer cycling there than on the narrow, twisting, country roads which idiots insist on driving down at stupid speeds. At least on a road like the A419 there is better visibility, and the cyclist has a chance of getting out of the way of an incompetent idiot coming up behind them (if they’re using a mirror), whereas on a winding country road with high hedges, there’s nothing you can do - no visibility of what’s coming up (ahead or behind), and nowhere to go in an emergency.

Yes but the ■■■■■ cycle down country lanes in packs!
I seen it to many times in West Sussex when I was doing parcels in a vans

■■■■■■■:
WTF? How many cyclists utilize rear view mirrors FFS? Haven’t seen one on a pushbike since Raleigh choppers were in vogue. And no, not helmet or sunglasses mounted either. :unamused:

Then you’ve never seen me cycling. The point still stands - there is better visibility, both for forward for drivers and rearward for cyclists, whether using a mirror or just checking over the shoulder.