Cycling on the A34

hi all
I saw a fool cycling down the A 34 this morning just after the A420 turn some people really do ask to get hurt /killed. but it would be the poor drivers fault who hit him probably get arrested and banged up :angry: :angry:

Got to agree with you totally I live very close to the A1 and often see people cycling on it also on the A17 and A46 in fact recently a cyclist was killed on the A1.

I am a very keen cyclist myself but I would never dream of cycling on busy trunks like that they sometime shave cycling races on the A1 from Newark to Grantham ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  crazy in my eyes.

any 70 mph road, a1,a34 etc should be like motorways,no cycles whatsoever.

asking for trouble.

could have been same guy I saw on the Oxford ring road, at about
9:30 am , risking life and limb , when a good cycle track was on 5m
away, I gave him a blast on the horn ā€¦ but etc etc etc :unamused:

The point here is that it is perfectly legal to use a bicycle on A roads.
If there is an accident then who really is to blame.
Firstly the motorised vehicle for not ā€˜thinking bikeā€™ and looking out for the soft target - the cyclist.
Secondly the government or whoever makes the rules for not building enough bike lanes and lastly ā€¦
well can we blame the cyclist for simply being there?

Mothertrucker:
can we blame the cyclist for simply being there?

Can we blame ANYONE for just being there?.

I wonder if the HSE were to survey the issues regarding cycling near a 44 tonne truck doing 50 mph a few feet away what the outcome would be.

Yes you can blame the cyclist for just being there !!! DONT GET ME WRONG im a cyclist but im not stupid enough to go cycling on major roads as its just far too dangerous maybe I have too much common sense?.

Mothertrucker:
The point here is that it is perfectly legal to use a bicycle on A roads.
If there is an accident then who really is to blame.
Firstly the motorised vehicle for not ā€˜thinking bikeā€™ and looking out for the soft target - the cyclist.
Secondly the government or whoever makes the rules for not building enough bike lanes and lastly ā€¦
well can we blame the cyclist for simply being there?

it maybe legal but it sure is stupid anyone who uses the A34 knows how busy it gets the last thing you need is a cyclist getting blown into your path from other passing trucks.that road is busier than most motorways and you dont let bikes on the motorway

How stupid is it to ā€œorganiseā€ a cycle race on the A34, A1 or A63? all major trunk roads and these blokes are crouched down with a pointy hat, never once looking behind them.

There are plenty of other roads that are safer and quieter, or why not take up off roading?

Wheel Nut:
How stupid is it to ā€œorganiseā€ a cycle race on the A34, A1 or A63? all major trunk roads and these blokes are crouched down with a pointy hat, never once looking behind them.

There are plenty of other roads that are safer and quieter, or why not take up off roading?

I thought any kind of racing was illegal on public roads, canā€™t make how they can get away with it.

Well said, Wendy.

What amazes me about this argument is that some of the people who are saying ā€˜cyclists should be allowed on this road, that road, etcā€™ are also the ones who moan about their civil liberties being interfered with by, for example, rules that prevent them smoking when and where they want.

Now, both cycling and smoking can be dangerous but I thought youā€™s were arguing for the right to choose and not be dictated to?? I reckon more smokers die from their ā€˜choiceā€™ than cyclist do.

As far as I am concerned, drivers who moan about cyclists on ā€˜this road, that roadā€™ are glossing over the fact that whether you view a cyclist as a hazard or fool, they are legally entitled to be there (not of course counting m/ways etc) and it is up to you as a trained and qualified driver to be aware of them and drive accordingly. If it means hanging back until safe to pass or making a wide pass, then do just that and be the professional driver that we expect everyone to see us as.

Wishing for more control of other road users (cyclists in this case) may well be something youā€™ll live to regret. Next, theyā€™ll be limiting the BHP of motorbikes or restricting the routes they can use**, making all cars have speed limiters fitted, etc etc. Donā€™t wish for that kind of control/interference/reduction of freedom too soon!!! :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

**That very kind of thing has happened here in Germany. Near where I live are some popular roads with bikers (Altbecken) that have hills, good road surfaces, sweeping bends etc. The speed limit is 100kph except for motorbikes; the speed limit for them is 70kph (killjoys!!!). The speed limit didnā€™t spoil that route enough for the bikers so they have now fitted either speed humps or rumble strips each side of each bend. These bumps are just enough to take the bike from under you if you are banking into a corner!! Talk about big brother interfering with your civil liberties!!

Also in the Hartz Mountains, a very popular tourist area especially for bikers, they have now closed the majority of decent roads to bikers. Trucks, cars, caravans, even bloody tractors are permitted, itā€™s just bikes that are banned.

Like I said, donā€™t wish for that kind of control too soon - it could be coming.

in the early days it was fine to use the trunk roads for time trial courses (racing against clock and yourself)

but how on earth it can be considered safe or sensibly to hammer down the A1 or A46 near me beggars belief

i believe racing on trunk roads should be forbidden
ok close the for duration

in the evening there is still too much traffic about
the only time its quiet is very early Sunday morning

looking behind is pointless its slows you down not areo dynamic and your supposed to be racing against yourself

ps if you have to do it you look under your smelly armpit

hitch:
looking behind is pointless its slows you down not areo dynamic and your supposed to be racing against yourself

ps if you have to do it you look under your smelly armpit

Thats how we think as we squash your 26 x 1 3/8ths rims and your sturmey archer. :stuck_out_tongue:

:smiley:

Wheel Nut:

Jeeeā€™s!!!

My whole bike probably weighs less than your great big butty-bag hanging off that sofa sized arse-comfy seat!!!

BTW, stop being so old fashioned!! 26" ā– ā– ? Itā€™s now 700mm!! :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

That cycle was modern the last time i rode one :wink:

Do they still make Vindec?

I dont see the problem. If you are all professional you should be able to handle this situation well, without causing any sort of hazord to you, the cyclist or anyone else.
And, as for that, i will still cycle down the A52, A46 and any other roads i need to, to get me to my cafe :laughing:
Although, i have never had a problem with trucks on the dual carrigways i have cycled along, them and the cars all move over into the second lane with no problems.
They get away with racing on public roads, because it isnt illegal. When on open roads, its in the rules that you still have to go by the rules of the roads. Its mainly time trials on the open roads, there are a few which go down the A1, some good stories with those aswell.
So basicly, if your racing on the road, you are still going by the rules on the road, and i think that you have to have permission from the police aswell to use the roads. Its all legal.
Cycle facilities are mostly just rubbish anyway, never use them. Why use them when i can use the road :laughing:
Raceā€™s on main roads makes them faster, also a tradition circuit for some aswell.

Oh, anyone in here in Smokey Joes cafe by the side of the A1 on Wednesday and see the group of cyclists turn up? I appologies for all of them :unamused: :laughing:

JoeG:
Cycle facilities are mostly just rubbish anyway, never use them.

Which is another good/relevant point!!

Most of the cycle paths/tracks I have seen might be okay for some sedate cycling on an antique (as above) or on one of the finest ā€˜mountainā€™ bikes from Argos/Tesco et al, however, with a decent set of race (cycle) wheels costing anywhere in the region of Ā£1200, let alone the rest of the bike, those cycle paths are just not suitable.

I bet youā€™s who are into your go-faster chav-mobiles would moan no-end to the council or Highways Dept if your favourite rat-run was full of potholes or was in bad condition. At least the cyclist just move over and use a different bit of road!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

marcustandy:

JoeG:
Cycle facilities are mostly just rubbish anyway, never use them.

Which is another good/relevant point!!

Most of the cycle paths/tracks I have seen might be okay for some sedate cycling on an antique (as above)

Oy, leave my pride and joy alone, cant you see how much i have spent on it in the last 45 years :stuck_out_tongue:

The problem is caused, especially on the A1 etc, of a truck doing 50ish a cycle doing 25ish and a car doing 70 ish refusing to let a truck out.

By the time the truck has managed to build up enough speed to pass the cycle another car is behind refusing to let him pull out. It is the same as a tractor, but they are occasional hazards, the cycle race probably have 40 bikes involved.

If a ā€˜risk assessmentā€™ was done on bicycles on major A roads like this, I wonder what the outcome would be :question: :question:

jammymutt:
I wonder if the HSE were to survey the issues regarding cycling near a 44 tonne truck doing 50 mph a few feet away what the outcome would be.

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: