Cycling on the A34

Wheel Nut:

marcustandy:

JoeG:
Cycle facilities are mostly just rubbish anyway, never use them.

Which is another good/relevant point!!

Most of the cycle paths/tracks I have seen might be okay for some sedate cycling on an antique (as above)

Oy, leave my pride and joy alone, cant you see how much i have spent on it in the last 45 years :stuck_out_tongue:

The problem is caused, especially on the A1 etc, of a truck doing 50ish a cycle doing 25ish and a car doing 70 ish refusing to let a truck out.

By the time the truck has managed to build up enough speed to pass the cycle another car is behind refusing to let him pull out. It is the same as a tractor, but they are occasional hazards, the cycle race probably have 40 bikes involved.

Actually, the raceโ€™s on the A1 are TT and usually, the riders are going somewhere in the high 20โ€™s low 30โ€™s. The story i heard was of a rider sprinting doing about 40mph, with a truck up behind. When the guy sprints, his bike pretty much just weaves. :laughing:
The problem with cycle paths, is there are no cars on them, to clean out all the rubbish. So as much as some cyclists hate cars, without cars the paths wouldnt be clean. The other reason i dont ride of the paths is because with 23mm tyres at 120psi, sometimes about 130psi for TTโ€™s, you could roll over an ant and feel it. :open_mouth:
They dont still make vindec, but the Sturmey Archer hubs has been taken over by a japaneese/chineese company called Sunrace.