CVC Show Gaydon 2014

tetragaz:
you not goin to gaydon then dave, that a pity mate was looking forward to meeting up with you again.

cheers
gaz

Can’t make it Sunday Gaz, did think of going on Saturday, but don’t think it would be as good.
Cheers Dave.

erfguy:
There is really only one reason why there is two shows, the HERITAGE CENTRE gets two bites at the cherry and if you attend both they get double money after all they have to make up the million they spent.

It is not the show that Rugby was and never will be I attended Gaydon with the models only once that big hall was more like a barn and I just felt it wasny a patch on the atmosphere of the tent at Rugby or anywhere near as friendly.

Just my personal feelings on the subject. Eddie.

I wouldn’t. Want to be parked next to a fanny in a scani that crashed in to a CDC shop with drugy music blasting out whilst he scrubs his dash board away.thats why there’s 2 shows just my thoughts .

There are two shows now because people were complaining there was too much ‘modern’ stuff (ERF’s etc) in the main show and a growing interest in more modern (ie Steelboys) from others. If you are about 40ish just remember the trucks you grew up with. It was decided to have two shows to accommodate the younger element who grew up with Scanias, Volvos and later ERFs etc. The main hall model show was the result of people like Ashley Coghill and TMW getting swamped out with entries and asking for more space each year. Its what the model makers wanted and Ashley puts on a great show. Incidently, try hiring a hall of that size and putting on a show and see what it costs. News on this front is that Ashleys model show will be moving to the Retro Show from next year, and the smaller different model show will be expanding as they are wanting more space.

The rise of two different camps of lorry/truck interest became noticeable over five years ago in both the life size and model variety. A dividing line between 50’s, 60’s and 70’s vehicles and 80’s to modern, the interest in older classic model lorries wained as older modellers became less and younger modellers added to the hobby who only knew the foreign makes and drool over Scania’s and Volvo’s etc. Even one of the kit suppliers that turned out exceptional resin kits of classic British trucks decided to drop their production and only offer the modern types. It was bound to happen as older modellers declined and it is no surprise to hear the model truck event will partner the Retro show as I presume they will consist mainly of post 80’s trucks, anything earlier than that doesn’t interest many younger modellers. Similarly this is also the case of fans of the real trucks so two separate shows was inevitable and maybe in twenty or so years time their will possibly only be the Retro show with a spattering of oldies as the older fans/vehicles won’t be around anymore. Who for instance goes to shows where they only have trucks from the 20’s, 30’s and 40’s. Time waits for no man!

I like the retro stuff as being in my '30s, it is the era I grew up with and was still around for me to pass my test on and actually drive. Working for Smiths who were still buying crash 'boxes in 2000 and still operating lorries that were new when I was at primary school (my first drive was one :smiley: ) the Retro show is my own nostalgia. God I feel old. :blush:

erfguy:
It is not the show that Rugby was and never will be I attended Gaydon with the models only once that big hall was more like a barn and I just felt it wasny a patch on the atmosphere of the tent at Rugby or anywhere near as friendly. Just my personal feelings on the subject. Eddie.

Eddie, I have never seen or heard a comment like yours before :astonished:
I’ve been organising the model show since 1993 when I took over from Simon Kaye at the BP Truckstop Rugby. Those early days in the tent were a NIGHTMARE! 4 of us worked our socks off from 6am on the day putting up the tables then covering the shabby wood with paper only to have it all disintegrate as the condensation dripped off the tent roof! We had just 40 tables all crammed in “higgle-de-piggledy” on an uneven grassy bank with modellers brushing shoulders and becoming very possessive over the small amount of space they had. Then when the public turned up it was chaotic. No room to swing a cat, and if it rained we were like sardines. Luckily in all the years we were at Rugby, there was only ONE model that got knocked off a table!
How on earth can you say there was a better atmosphere there?
The day we moved to Gaydon was like moving from the 4th division straight to the Premiership! :smiley:
The 60m x 40m hall…or barn as you call it…is perfect for a show which attracts some of the finest truck modellers in Europe. Air conditioned, carpeted and acres of space for EVERYONE !
And as for being friendly. I get congratulations every year saying what a “friendly and welcoming” show it is ! I am quite offended that you think it is unfriendly. :frowning:

Well I attended Rugby for a few years and enjoyed every show and as said once at Gaydon was plenty no atmosphere. I also know there are others who think the same and they decided to attend the other show that runs in another room upstairs?.

So I still stand by my comments. Eddie.

Surprised to hear such negative comments about this show especially the models. I will be attending Saturday for the 3rd year running and have always found exhibitors friendly and happy to talk trucks (large or small). Keep up the good work everyone!!

Thanks for the advice on truck parking but will just come for the day.

People will probably think I’m biased as I am involved with the show. I have nothing at all to do with the model show side of things and only get to see it as a visitor would when I take the opportunity to look around it in my lunch break. I’m not surprised Ashley feels insulted, I’ve visited many model shows over the years, and I’ve watched this one grow into what it is today, probably the best truck model show in Britain. It is what it is and we offer space to people who also show models but don’t feel like being in the main room.

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion of cause, but I’ve never heard anyone say its unfriendly!..nor can I believe anyone would rather be back at Rugby. However, if only one or two people have had a ‘bad’ experience at Gaydon for whatever reason I still think it can be deemed a great success for the organizers as the vast majority come back year after year and only say positive things.

Frankydobo:
The rise of two different camps of lorry/truck interest became noticeable over five years ago in both the life size and model variety. A dividing line between 50’s, 60’s and 70’s vehicles and 80’s to modern, the interest in older classic model lorries wained as older modellers became less and younger modellers added to the hobby who only knew the foreign makes and drool over Scania’s and Volvo’s etc. Even one of the kit suppliers that turned out exceptional resin kits of classic British trucks decided to drop their production and only offer the modern types. It was bound to happen as older modellers declined and it is no surprise to hear the model truck event will partner the Retro show as I presume they will consist mainly of post 80’s trucks, anything earlier than that doesn’t interest many younger modellers. Similarly this is also the case of fans of the real trucks so two separate shows was inevitable and maybe in twenty or so years time their will possibly only be the Retro show with a spattering of oldies as the older fans/vehicles won’t be around anymore. Who for instance goes to shows where they only have trucks from the 20’s, 30’s and 40’s. Time waits for no man!

Hey Frankydodo, there you have right, for me, I only look to after WWII till the begin 80’s, of course the '80’s interest me still a bit. But after that, rubish for me. And lets say a decade or two after me and others of my age, all our stuff as the F88/89 76/110/141 2600/2800 Transcon and so on, will be scraped I think. What has an F88 to say to a boy who was born lets say 30 years after it went out of production.

Cheers Eric,

my two pennys worth. i went for the first time to gaydon 2 years ago and was amazed at the show.the model show was an eye opener.i had been out of trucking for 8 years and out of the modeling game for 20 years.so it fired me up to start modeling , i am 56. (not back to driving though).i am one of the old (50’s 60’s and 70’s truck modelers)but enjoy all models of all ages. i take my hat off to ashley for doing a brill job under all the pressure as i have done similar things myself and gave up.see you there!

Hi all,
I find it difficult to see how or why anyone would want to complain about the gaydon model show :question: maybe? It is just that? They WANT TO COMPLAIN.regarding the truck show anyone complaining about the newer retro trucks of the steelboys need to remember just one thing.we/they are the future of the truck preservation movement.
Regards andrew.

Spot on Pete359. I’ve been involved for 29 years now and what was dealers brand new offerings then are todays preservation projects. With the growth of the Steelboys it was felt the time was right to start a second show. For example the Volvo F10/12 first appeared in 1977 which makes it 37 years old and classic/vintage.

I never been to a truck show till 2010 when I arranged to meet John Holcroft who built a model of one of my old trucks I used to drive, ( medical reasons forced me out the trade 1985 ) but I was taken by the model show so much that It inspired me to started building models myself and got so hooked, I thought the show was fantastic, I meet some great people Tony Christie for one we spent a while yacking loved his modeling work and it was a great day, and since then the shows just got better, my hats off to Ashley and Peter White from TMW for all their hard work, just can’t think for one second why there’s any negative thoughts about the show, but it takes all sorts they say !! :unamused:

I wonder what it would feel like to go from Gaydon back to a tent and welley boots !!

Regards Jimski :laughing: see you there !!

how can you say that erfguy, I am a wheelchair user & it was a nightmare for me to get around that tent, ash should be congratulated on making the show bigger & better, more table’s, more space on the table’s, easier access for all displayers & members of the public to walk around/take pics at their leisure & not feel like they have been shoe horned into a tent & are shuffled along because there was no room.
take no notice of him ash, your doing a top job mate,

I will hope to be there on sunday, if you see me say hi, i’ll be in a purple wheelchair with white’ish mountain bike tyre’s on.

cheers
gaz

As a parent to a 3 year old, I’d say the model exhibitors at Gaydon look more relaxed with youngsters looking at their models than many events like train fairs etc. I’ve seen some exhibitors at shows give my son some right looks when he shows an interest (he’s well behaved and quite happy to look not touch). If people don’t like children being nearby they shouldn’t attend family events.
Whoever displays that burning building with all the fire engines and ambulances at shows always gets my sons’ attention. :laughing:

Dan Punchard:

erfguy:
There is really only one reason why there is two shows, the HERITAGE CENTRE gets two bites at the cherry and if you attend both they get double money after all they have to make up the million they spent.

It is not the show that Rugby was and never will be I attended Gaydon with the models only once that big hall was more like a barn and I just felt it wasny a patch on the atmosphere of the tent at Rugby or anywhere near as friendly.

Just my personal feelings on the subject. Eddie.

I wouldn’t. Want to be parked next to a fanny in a scani that crashed in to a CDC shop with drugy music blasting out whilst he scrubs his dash board away.thats why there’s 2 shows just my thoughts .

Ay up Dan hope your not referring to me and my motor !!! Ha ha

Give our shared taste in music Sam and the dog in your cab and the dust in mine ,no.

Tetragaz You cant really tell me much about wheelchairs I have been shoving one for approx.23yrs. I was in no way talking about access etc. in the tent my comments were purely about the atmosphere of the modellers in the tent and in the 4or5yrs I was there it was good. Eddie.