cutting in

i got really ■■■■■■ off the other day when i was on a dual carriageway and the outside lane was coned off. I moved over to the inside lane and queued like everyone else…but …although there were plenty of warning signs…you always get the idiots and queue jumpers…this bonners doree removal van had other ideas…and just kept moving…with no intention of giving way …even though it was my right of way …i had to brake really sharply to let this idiot in and to stop him from ripping my offside mirrors and cab off…i gave him a blast of the horn …only for him to do the same…but the traffic was moving for me to get out and rip him from his seat…but as his company is a local one too …i spotted his vehicle and a couple of his mates parked up near the local cafe…so i have prepared 4 bits of wood with large screws in…which shall be placed under each of his wheels…when i see him parked again…(yes i have his registration )
and a polite note that tells him not to carve people up again at roadworks…

Not wanting to further upset you Bob, but I wouldn’t be queueing either :astonished: . If they wanted you to merge at 800yds before the cones start then they would have put the cones there :bulb: . I carry on right up to the cones (if some prick in a wagon isn’t acting as a road block in lane 2 :unamused: ) and then sit there and patiently wait with my indicator going waiting for someone to flash me which results in a friendly thanks from me with the hazard lights. At no time do I try to barge my way into the queue. I fail to see what’s so difficult about it all, but hey, if you prefer to sit in a queue going back a couple of miles when the other lane is empty then you do that :bulb: :slight_smile: .

I don’t queue either. If there’s an empty lane, I’ll use it. I never barge my way in when I do merge, I just whack my indicator on and wait patiently to be let in…but I can see no point in leaving miles of empty road for no reason. It just ends up pushing the queue back further and causes more chaos.

Why the hell we can’t all just “merge in turn” ( zip-merge ) at the designated point in this country, I have no idea…traffic through roadworks would be far smoother if we did. :unamused:

Oh no, you can forget it, you’re not getting in front of me :angry:

Zip merging should have been included in the last update of the Highway Code except some numpty civil servant forgot :exclamation:

I can’t understand why people think that miles of empty road will shorten the queue when a bit of common sense from everyone will keep things moving. And yes, I know that most road users lack common sense - it’s all down to driver education.

The reason why there is a empty lane is quite simple - nobody likes queue jumpers or not that many queue jumping. Anyone who sails down the empty lane is a queue jumper - simple really.
I would agree though that it is high time they used “Use both lanes” and “merge in turn” signs in these circumstances, so then there shouldn’t be an empty lane and the queues should flow sensibly - I would hope. :imp: :unamused:

wait in line, i once did surcome to temptation after watching countless cars an vans pouring down passed me but the truck in lane 1 who pulled out in front of me to block me[ which nearly ended with me embedded in back of trailer] taught me it wasnt a good idea, i now just wait in que.

On the occasions that there are ‘Merge In Turn’ signs, people seem to obey & use it as instructed. It’s like everything in this country, people need a big sign to tell them :unamused:

DAFMAD:
The reason why there is a empty lane is quite simple - nobody likes queue jumpers or not that many queue jumping. Anyone who sails down the empty lane is a queue jumper - simple really.
I would agree though that it is high time they used “Use both lanes” and “merge in turn” signs in these circumstances, so then there shouldn’t be an empty lane and the queues should flow sensibly - I would hope. :imp: :unamused:

But they do and it still doesn’t happen.

truckboy:
i got really [zb] off the other day when i was on a dual carriageway and the outside lane was coned off. I moved over to the inside lane and queued like everyone else…but …although there were plenty of warning signs…you always get the idiots and queue jumpers…this bonners doree removal van had other ideas…and just kept moving…with no intention of giving way …even though it was my right of way …i had to brake really sharply to let this idiot in and to stop him from ripping my offside mirrors and cab off…i gave him a blast of the horn …only for him to do the same…

Too right the van did. YOU WERE IN THE WRONG . The Highway Code even explicitly says GIVE WAY TO OVERTAKING VEHICLES.

Here you go Mr. Accident Waiting To Happen.

Rule 144: Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous.

Do you not know how to drive? Do you not know what ZIP merging is? Perhaps you should go have some lessons. It’s obvious that you need them. Someone with the agressiveness you have shouldn’t be in control of a HGV. The only reason it got to what it did is because of your complete and utter unprofessionalism and quite rightly it would have been you that would be at fault if there was a collision. It’s not as if it was something you could not have anticipated either. Perhaps you should stick to driving Fiesta Courier Vans. Proper PROFESSIONAL commercial driving is beyond you.

Is anyone here going to stick their hands up and admit to being one of those Traffic Police wannabees who block off the other lane just because people who have a clue what ZIP merging is are doing it properly?

Everytime I see a wagon move over to block a lane off, I want to batter common sense into the driver. What makes it worse is they do it despite crawling past a big naff off yellow sign saying “Use Both Lanes”.

If you want to control traffic, pack your job in and join the Police.

Conor:

ady:
wait in line, i once did surcome to temptation after watching countless cars an vans pouring down passed me but the truck in lane 1 who pulled out in front of me to block me[ which nearly ended with me embedded in back of trailer] taught me it wasnt a good idea, i now just wait in que.

Why? Do you not know how to drive? Do you not know what ZIP merging is?

Is anyone here going to stick their hands up and admit to being one of those Traffic Police wannabees who block off the other lane just because people who have a clue what ZIP merging is are doing it properly?

Everytime I see a wagon move over to block a lane off, I want to batter common sense into the driver. What makes it worse is they do it despite crawling past a big naff off yellow sign saying “Use Both Lanes”.

If you want to control traffic, pack your job in and join the Police.

DAFMAD:

Why are they? They are only using the available road, just because you have decided not to use it doesn’t make them a queue jumper. The only way they become a queue jumper is if the continue through the cones, sending them flying. Then they are jumping the queue. :wink: :smiley:

Slightly different scenario. I was going through Aberdeen a few years ago on a visit up there. I’d managed to arrive in time for the evening rush hour something i always tried to avoid. I’m approaching a roundabout in Dyce with a long queue of traffic leading in but it kept moving which was great,can’t stand that stop start stop start stuff. As I got nearer to the roundabout I saw an equally long queue waiting to join from the left. Now traffic in my queue had priority at the roundabout but what happened? Everyone merged, nobody had the hump cos we could all see how well it worked and the traffic from both roads kept moving at a nice pace. And there were no signs telling anyone what to do. Years ago the advice WAS to get in the right lane early but now the thinking is to merge and when people accept that it works very well.

The queues into the Tyne Tunnel is the same. Big “merge in turn” signs, and loads of glaring tunnel officials to make sure they are obeyed. It’s still pretty nightmarish at the wrong time of day, but it keeps moving.

I do admit.

I used to block the lane off, but after finding this site and reading on here that it really is just a waste off time.

I stopped doing it, i just join the queue now and and let them in when i get near the cones.

I tell you what though, i reckon the worst place for this type of thing is London!

i dont normally have a go back at others who criticise me… :unamused: :unamused: …but conor needs to know the situation…i do not like queue jumpers full stop…but if you read the message …i was the one who braked…to save my mirrors and the front of the cab being ripped off…so he was in the wrong…the annoying thing was he just cut in at speed …no indicators of any kind…and thats when i had to brake…i am a very polite driver …having completed over 40 years driving HGV`s
and without a single conviction…can you match that conor…the rest of my experience is history…but there are many on here who would tell you that i am a very considerate .and courteous driver…who would in the right circumstance. help any one …and that includes allowing drivers to come in front at roadworks or lane closures…but not idiots who cut in with no indication using a bully boy type tactic…

I havent read this new updated highway code that says that artics must use the outside lane when approaching roundabouts either. When did that change? or is it just B&Q rules. They come creeping past into a narrow roundabout and then cut across the front of the vehicle they are trying to over take.

Wheel Nut:
I havent read this new updated highway code that says that artics must use the outside lane when approaching roundabouts either. When did that change? or is it just B&Q rules. They come creeping past into a narrow roundabout and then cut across the front of the vehicle they are trying to over take.

Do B&Q make the rules of the road now?.

I guess they’ll be 20% off soon then :slight_smile::).

i think youll find rob you find youve stuck what i wrote on conors reply instead of what truckboy wrote :unamused:

I think its a catch 22 situation here . I,m not going to comment on your situation truckyboy as i wasn’t there .

However i will say zip merging is a big problem . Its not the actual people that want to zip merge , its the people that have sat for miles in the que refuseing to let anyone thats the problem which is why the traffic starts backing right up . Then theres the token angry artic swerving all over the place to block as much space off as possible .
Happened to me with a bookers driver , i went straight down the que upto the 200 yd marker and started indicating in the region of two trucks . Neither of them would let me in , the bookers driver was going mental and tried his hardest to keep me out . Fair enough i backed off and got behind him . As soon as we had cleared the roadworks i indicated moved over and shot round him like he was standing still . He was obviously loaded and i was pulling back emptys .So all that effort he made to cut me out and it counted for nothing.
:laughing:

Roll on next month when the next thread gets started .