cutting in

truckyboy:
i dont normally have a go back at others who criticise me… :unamused: :unamused: …but conor needs to know the situation…i do not like queue jumpers full stop…but if you read the message …i was the one who braked…to save my mirrors and the front of the cab being ripped off…so he was in the wrong…the annoying thing was he just cut in at speed …no indicators of any kind…and thats when i had to brake…i am a very polite driver …having completed over 40 years driving HGV`s
and without a single conviction…can you match that conor…the rest of my experience is history…but there are many on here who would tell you that i am a very considerate .and courteous driver…who would in the right circumstance. help any one …and that includes allowing drivers to come in front at roadworks or lane closures…but not idiots who cut in with no indication using a bully boy type tactic…

I’ve got over 1.5 million miles behind the wheel of a HGV accident and conviction free, how many do I need? When I was doing night trunking, it was pretty much a rare event NOT to come across the situation.

You only had to brake because you DELIBERATELY took an action that CREATED the situation. You KNEW the cones were going to close off the lane and that the vehicle would be wanting to move over but you chose to teach him a lesson. I would have hung back and let him in, like many in here, because unlike you, I’m a professional driver and not just a steering wheel attendant.

Perhaps you should do a defensive driving course. It might teach you to look out for the things you’ve obviously missed over the last 40 years.

Conor:

truckyboy:
i dont normally have a go back at others who criticise me… :unamused: :unamused: …but conor needs to know the situation…i do not like queue jumpers full stop…but if you read the message …i was the one who braked…to save my mirrors and the front of the cab being ripped off…so he was in the wrong…the annoying thing was he just cut in at speed …no indicators of any kind…and thats when i had to brake…i am a very polite driver …having completed over 40 years driving HGV`s
and without a single conviction…can you match that conor…the rest of my experience is history…but there are many on here who would tell you that i am a very considerate .and courteous driver…who would in the right circumstance. help any one …and that includes allowing drivers to come in front at roadworks or lane closures…but not idiots who cut in with no indication using a bully boy type tactic…

I’ve got over 1.5 million miles behind the wheel of a HGV accident and conviction free, how many do I need? When I was doing night trunking, it was pretty much a rare event NOT to come across the situation.

You only had to brake because you DELIBERATELY took an action that CREATED the situation. You KNEW the cones were going to close off the lane and that the vehicle would be wanting to move over but you chose to teach him a lesson. I would have hung back and let him in, like many in here, because unlike you, I’m a professional driver and not just a steering wheel attendant.

Perhaps you should do a defensive driving course. It might teach you to look out for the things you’ve obviously missed over the last 40 years.

Are you the same Conor that posted here a while ago about driving an old rover with no rear suspension at 100MPH round a sharp bend well known for accidents or have i got the wrong Conor?

I think we should be told Conor! Guilty or not guilty? (Has anyone caught me out yet?) :laughing:

Conor:
I would have hung back and let him in, like many in here, because unlike you, I’m a professional driver and not just a steering wheel attendant.

It seems if some on here owned a trumpet they’d be spending most of their time blowing it :unamused:

Mike-C:
[
Are you the same Conor that posted here a while ago about driving an old rover with no rear suspension at 100MPH round a sharp bend well known for accidents or have i got the wrong Conor?

Yes…when I was 17 and stupid.

tartanraider:
I think we should be told Conor! Guilty or not guilty? (Has anyone caught me out yet?) :laughing:

Nowt to tell. Like most teenagers in the mid 80’s who’d just got their licence, I did some pretty daft things.

so lets get this straight, your approaching road works where two lanes reduce to one, theres warnings signs all down the road telling you of the impending change, but they’re not for you, they’re for someone else, you can see the traffic closing up as it slows on what is to become the only available lane, but you don’t slow and join that lane, you go bowling down the outside like a man on a mission and the expect someone who’s actually used more than one brain cell and already put himself in the right lane, to stop and let you in! why? because you feel you’ve a god given right to be in front? because the 150 yard your going to gain in the que will make your day all that much better?
i’ve gotta tell yer you’d wait there a hell of a long time if it was down to me.

paul b:
so lets get this straight, your approaching road works where two lanes reduce to one, theres warnings signs all down the road telling you of the impending change, but they’re not for you, they’re for someone else, you can see the traffic closing up as it slows on what is to become the only available lane, but you don’t slow and join that lane, you go bowling down the outside like a man on a mission and the expect someone who’s actually used more than one brain cell and already put himself in the right lane, to stop and let you in! why? because you feel you’ve a god given right to be in front? because the 150 yard your going to gain in the que will make your day all that much better?
i’ve gotta tell yer you’d wait there a hell of a long time if it was down to me.

:unamused: Okay Paul, so answer me this question :

Why do they put the “MERGE IN TURN” sign 10 yards before the cones start blocking off the lane and not at 800yds from them? Just for ornamental purposes?

Hell would be cold before i let a driver like that cut me up
■■■■ em if they havnt got the courtesy to drive right then neither have i
with you all the way on this one trucky

paul b:
so lets get this straight, your approaching road works where two lanes reduce to one, theres warnings signs all down the road telling you of the impending change.

Yep, they are warning you of the change up ahead, they aren’t telling you to merge at that point.

Why, on the already congested road network would you want to remove a perfectly usable stretch of carriageway from that network, rather than merge at the clearly defined merge point.

You seem to be saying that as soon as you have moved over, 800 metres, 600 metres, whatever, everyone else should fall in neatly behind you. Why?

Coffeeholic:

paul b:
so lets get this straight, your approaching road works where two lanes reduce to one, theres warnings signs all down the road telling you of the impending change.

Yep, they are warning you of the change up ahead, they aren’t telling you to merge at that point.

Why, on the already congested road network would you want to remove a perfectly usable stretch of carriageway from that network, rather than merge at the clearly defined merge point.

You seem to be saying that as soon as you have moved over, 800 metres, 600 metres, whatever, everyone else should fall in neatly behind you. Why?

Can you imagine doing that on the M1S at Luton at 0730 on a Monday morning? There’d be a single file of traffic stretching all the way back to Leeds all nicely waiting in line to get through the road works :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: .

yeah but on the lighter side when the ques r running much quicker into the coned off lane say about 30 or40 ,u look in your offside mirror at about the 200yd marker ,here he comes mr rep in his beemer blasting down the outside lane; by your calculations things r going to get very intersting at the merge piont,now this geezer is fair game,it hasn,t happened yet, not for want of trying but one day hes goin to eat them cones :laughing: cos i aint braking for them retards , u gotta have some fun in ya working day :smiling_imp: seriosly thou i believe that drivers dont zip merge more is they r scared of confrontation i,ve been a passenger with a lot of drivers who pull in as soon as they see the signs ,i ask why not carry on to the merge piont “nobody will let me in” in other words they dont want too push in and offend anyone, but were does it say move over now,its just warning of lane closure,so very frustrating…

Coffeeholic:

paul b:

can’t be 100% sure because i’ve not done over a million miles behind the wheel but i’ve got this idea that if everyone gets into the usable lane BEFORE the cones theres not going to be a que caused by brain deads ignoring all the signs and then trying to force their way in at the last minute making everyone hit the brakes■■?
just a thought.

Coming out of Aberdeen northwards it’s bus lane most of the way except for one stretch. The road is single lane, but wide enough for 2 lanes. At rush hour, pretty much everybody comes off the roundabout and heads straight into an imaginary right-hand lane leaving the left clear for buses. Why? I always continue on the left side until the bus lane resumes & merge when able.

If people continued as 2 lanes it would ease congestion at the roundabout.

paul b:
i’ve got this idea that if everyone gets into the usable lane BEFORE the cones theres not going to be a que

There will be, it will just be a longer queue in one lane. Zip merging keeps the traffic flowing, well it does until somebody who cannot understand basic road signs decides to create a new merge point because they got over early therfore everyone should.
caused by brain deads ignoring all the signs
[/quote]
They aren’t ignoring the signs, they are doing exactly as the signs say.

paul b:
and then trying to force their way in at the last minute making everyone hit the brakes

If they weren’t driving so close to the vehicle in front and preventing zip merging happening, because they feel they decided to queue early everyone should, they wouldn’t need to hit the brakes. Simple really.

It’s never going to change , it’s a pointless argument .

:laughing:

When is the overtaking thread going to start . :wink:

paul b:

Coffeeholic:

paul b:

can’t be 100% sure because i’ve not done over a million miles behind the wheel but i’ve got this idea that if everyone gets into the usable lane BEFORE the cones theres not going to be a que caused by brain deads ignoring all the signs and then trying to force their way in at the last minute making everyone hit the brakes■■?
just a thought.

For the love of God…

paul@midway:
It’s never going to change , it’s a pointless argument .

:laughing:

When is the overtaking thread going to start . :wink:

:laughing: I agree! Passes the time though :smiley: . Aren’t we due for a fresh “40mph on single carriageways” thread again? Haven’t had one of those for a while, but everyone seems to have their ■■■■■■■ in a wad over the digital tacho cards at the moment. :unamused:

Coffeeholic:

paul b:
i’ve got this idea that if everyone gets into the usable lane BEFORE the cones theres not going to be a que

There will be, it will just be a longer queue in one lane. Zip merging keeps the traffic flowing, well it does until somebody who cannot understand basic road signs decides to create a new merge point because they got over early therfore everyone should.
caused by brain deads ignoring all the signs

They aren’t ignoring the signs, they are doing exactly as the signs say.

paul b:
and then trying to force their way in at the last minute making everyone hit the brakes

If they weren’t driving so close to the vehicle in front and preventing zip merging happening, because they feel they decided to queue early everyone should, they wouldn’t need to hit the brakes. Simple really.

ah right, so not only do you want to go flying down the outside over taking as many as possible and then pull in at the last minute even though theres been signs for hundreds of yards warning of the lane clossure, you also want the bloke who’s in the correct lane as he approaches the cones to slow down and leave a nice gap for you to pull in?
perhaps you and the best driver in the world should have flashing neon signs fitted to the front of your cabs?
I’M A PROFFESSIONAL DRIVER, GET OUT OF MY WAY
or maybe
P rofessional
R oad user
A proaching
T raffic
:sunglasses:

:smiley:

P rofessional
R oad user
A proaching
T raffic