Curtains?

Will the forky fully load the trailer from one side so you don’t have to open both curtains? Ie: put 1 pallet against headboard then push to other side with next pallet?

wheelyb:
Will the forky fully load the trailer from one side so you don’t have to open both curtains? Ie: put 1 pallet against headboard then push to other side with next pallet?

Sometimes, depending on what’s on the pallet, how heavy it is etc but it’s not really good practice as it scratches the deck.

This is a great post as others have said before.

Could somebody possibly give a bit more info on load restraint with curtainsiders?

I have done just a couple of curtainsider runs and didn’t know how to restrain the loads. I couldn’t see any restraining points on the truck bed, so I now guess that I was supposed to have tried to get straps on the chassis. That would have meant opening both sides of course. There weren’t any straps in or around the truck either.

I guess I was naughty wasn’t I?

Thanks.

LandyLad:
This is a great post as others have said before.

Could somebody possibly give a bit more info on load restraint with curtainsiders?

I have done just a couple of curtainsider runs and didn’t know how to restrain the loads. I couldn’t see any restraining points on the truck bed, so I now guess that I was supposed to have tried to get straps on the chassis. That would have meant opening both sides of course. There weren’t any straps in or around the truck either.

I guess I was naughty wasn’t I?

Thanks.

You normally have to open both sides, it isn’t ideal pushing pallets across, especially if they are crap pallets, it all depends on the forkie too, some will and some it is more than their job is worth.

Unless there are hooks or eyes in the trailer bed you should strap to the chassis or at least a steel crossmember, not under the curtain rave. I always found a few diverter rings came in handy for awkward shapes or around the king pin / axle section

I have never used curtains before and knew I was going on a curtain sided 18t today. so did the smart thing and looked for hints & tips and saw this thread and the awesome instructions. so, armed with an idea how they work I went in today, and… found it easy.

Thanks for taking the time to explain it.

Hi guys. May have a weeks work next week driving a curtain sided truck. Having never used one of these things in my life, is there any guides on their operation? Don’t want to turn up and look a pillock because I don’t know what I’m doing…

Thanks in advance!
Chris

Best advice is to get another driver to show you - it’s easier and quicker than trying to explain in words IMO - 5 mins (max) with a driver who knows what they are doing and you will be sorted

I’m just a bit worried that as it’s though an agency I’d just be expected to turn up and know what to do.

chris_89:
I’m just a bit worried that as it’s though an agency I’d just be expected to turn up and know what to do.

They can expect what they like but point out one driver on here who knows everything ■■?

I know how to operate the curtains but I’ve never done fridge or tipper work so does that make me any more or less of a driver than you… of course not

Good point! I guess nobody is born with the knowledge on how to use these things.

Cheers Rog :slight_smile:

chris_89:
Hi guys. May have a weeks work next week driving a curtain sided truck. Having never used one of these things in my life, is there any guides on their operation? Don’t want to turn up and look a pillock because I don’t know what I’m doing…

Thanks in advance!
Chris

Hi chris_89,

Pease bear in mind that a curtain needs to be tensioned BOTH horizontally AND vertically…
Below is my attempt to give you the basics…

To open a curtain, first you need to get rid of the vertical tension.
To do this, you open the “buckles” by pulling downwards on the strap as in the pic…

Then, lift up the buckle and unhook the strap from underneath the deck…
(Have a look underneath to see how to put it back later :wink: )
Do this, from the front, as many times as you need to gain the opening that you need…

Then de-tension the curtain horizontally by pulling the (smaller) lever at the bottom of the tensioner towards you…

Then unhook the front pole by lifting it upwards…

To close a curtain, pull the curtain pole back to the the tensioner and engage the pole in the slot…
You might need to turn the tensioner to engage the pole in the slot…
Then push the small lever all the way away from you…
Then use the larger of the two levers repetitively to tension the curtain horizontally… it’s a ratchet :wink:

Then re-engage the vertical tensioners and snap the buckles shut…

Some other tips:
Depending on the maunfacturer of the curtain system, there might be a horizontal tensioner at either OR both ends of the curtain.
You don’t always need to open the whole of the curtain, but that depends on how much you’re going to load/unload and the type of curtain tensioners.
If you mention that you’re new to curtainsiders, I don’t think most drivers would mind helping if you ask them to show you. :wink:
As ever, I only try to give new guys a head start, without too much technical stuff.

I hope this helps… Did it :question:

Chris tbh curtains are easy like Rog says ask a driver or just take a few min to look & yep they are easy
im 147 cm & 45 ish kg and can use them fine

D.D’s got it covered really, some have a little “dumbell” instead of both levers and you’ll find there’s some way to release the ratchet (usually a button), take the tension off by tightening the curtain a little before trying to press the button.

The bar at either end goes into a hole or slot at the top before you drop it onto the bottom pin thing (the bit that turns when you turn the handle).

Try to avoid opening both sides when it’s windy as it can make doing it back up hard work but it’s not impossible if you have to open both. Take the bar out and let it hang, go to the other end and pull every third strap as far as you can before pulling the next.

No-one’s mentioned load restraints; on curtain siders they’re usually straps hanging from a bar at the top. They’re not great but they DO work so use them wherever possible as it’s horrible seeing a big bulge in the curtain and knowing your day’s gonna get much worse. The little buckle things on them are very similar to those on the curtain.

They’re easier than you’d expect, look before you ask for help and you’ll probably see how to work them for yourself :wink:

and be carefull of doing it in a windy posistion

and tuck the loose ends in :laughing:

FarnboroughBoy11:
and tuck the loose ends in :laughing:

yeah, or vosa’ll have your pants down :laughing: :laughing:

Like what Darkseeker said have a look and you will more than likely figure it out yourself before asking they aint rocket science, there are a few different types but none are hard to work out.

Hold the pole out of the way when a fork lift truck driver is putting a pallet on close to it, they can be a right bugger when they get bent

And good luck with the job

Nice one boys, cheers for the help. Cheers for the pics as well mate that’s a great help!

chris_89:
Nice one boys, cheers for the help. Cheers for the pics as well mate that’s a great help!

Thanks for that chris_89, it’s nice to know that our efforts are appreciated.

Good luck with the job and please let us know how you get on with it!! :smiley:

It’s a good thread, no one will know about every type used, but remember one thing!

TENSION!

That means it wants to take the tip of your finger or nose off when you release it, just have a look at the ratchet and pawls before you press or pull anything. :stuck_out_tongue:

And don’t forget the curtain is only there to protect the goods from the elements, it is not load bearing.