Cumbria companies

Lawrence Dunbar:

Bewick:

5thwheel:

Bewick:
Thanks for the interesting info EC11, So Mr Hodgson must have sold the firm in the years previous to the chap you named as the last owner. I could only recall the years 68/69 so I had no idea of what happened later on as you say they were running 52 motors by 1980 ! That does surprise me as it would seem they were bigger than “Fast Eddie” in 1980 !. So why is there no photos of JWH apart from one or two very old ones I would have thought there must have been some shots about from later years. Cheers Bewick.

The photo’s Dennis are in the drawer with the photos of the Big J’s with the big Percy.

David

I think EC11 was only on “the wind up” as he is suggesting Hodgsons of Carlisle , in whatever later ownership they were in ran 50 odd motors ! So I think this claim must be, as Larry says, placed in the drawer with the Guy 8LXB ! Seems to have gone a bit “Ill Silencio” on the Hodgson front though ! Ah! well here goes another Unicorn up and running ! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Bewick.

I do believe you could be right there David !Cheers Dennis :wink:
[/quote ]
Well Dennis this one set of draws I would defo get into, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Regards Larry.

Well Dennis, I loaded back from their depot storage shed with Crepe Paper made in ■■■■■■■■■■ somewhere, This was IIRC 1958 Ish It was for Henley Cables at Birtley used for wrapping some of their products, I cant remember their Transport Managers name but he was a nice sort of bloke to deal with.He was a little dark haired fellow, He may have smoked a pipe :question:, They also used to do a bit out of the Carnation Milk Factory in Dumfries at this time, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Well Dennis, I loaded back from their depot storage shed with Crepe Paper made in ■■■■■■■■■■ somewhere, This was IIRC 1958 Ish It was for Henley Cables at Birtley used for wrapping some of their products, I cant remember their Transport Managers name but he was a nice sort of bloke to deal with.He was a little dark haired fellow, He may have smoked a pipe :question:, They also used to do a bit out of the Carnation Milk Factory in Dumfries at this time, Regards Larry.

Hi Larry the only lorry Denzil had in 58 would be a Dinky toys one :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Punchy Dan:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Hi Larry the only lorry Denzil had in 58 would be a Dinky toys one :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Hi Dan, You are a naughty naughty boy, Denzil will be most upset you know, But he will most likley open another bottle of Bollinger :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , & play with the Dinkeys you mentioned, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: , Im just having a dram or two, Ive been in the garden allday, Its looking good so Im told by The Person in charge the Wife, Take care my friend Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Punchy Dan:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Hi Dan, You are a naughty naughty boy, Denzil will be most upset you know, But he will most likley open another bottle of Bollinger :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , & play with the Dinkeys you mentioned, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: , Im just having a dram or two, Ive been in the garden allday, Its looking good so Im told by The Person in charge the Wife, Take care my friend Regards Larry.

They make a super Foden 6 wheeler tipper :laughing: ,I’am sure your boss knows a good job when she sees it ,I’ve been on the rotavator tractor tonight and unfortunately have made a new entrance in the greenhouse :unamused: :blush: my boss is not pleased :open_mouth:

Punchy Dan:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Punchy Dan:

Lawrence Dunbar:

They make a super Foden 6 wheeler tipper :laughing: ,I’am sure your boss knows a good job when she sees it ,I’ve been on the rotavator tractor tonight and unfortunately have made a new entrance in the greenhouse :unamused: :blush: my boss is not pleased :open_mouth:

“Couldn’t drive sheep with a good dog” :blush: :unamused: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

OOPS, Is there a Red card coming your way :question: , Regards Larry. PS Ive only got Brownie Points :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Lawrence Dunbar:
OOPS, Is there a Red card coming your way :question: , Regards Larry. PS Ive only got Brownie Points :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Must have got his “ticket” from a raffle Larry ! :blush: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :wink:

Loading Tar at Dumfries last night for M6 Jct 44 Carlisle

hodgeturbo:
Loading Tar at Dumfries last night for M6 Jct 44 Carlisle

Hey Hodge, wid 'tlast load eh! how many farm lonnings did you manage to duerr!! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Ireby !

Back again tonight no farm longings yet

Do you still get paid the 50% of a full load for any tonnage left over that can be returned to the plant for recycling, that was why in my day folk liked being the last to tip as, even if you only had a tonne left, you got paid 50% for full tonnage! :laughing:

Pete.

I used to drive NAO20F for mellings corn millers Tarleton it was a bulk tipper then with a grain blower attached.
The wagon was a ex Graham’s ■■■■■■■ motor. Regards Dave

where at Dumfries? is the plant at locharbriggs still on the go for the blackstuff,

Tuers Morland Penrith
John Brunskill “Brunk” Marathon T reg
"Enroute from L/Pool to Monkhouse Animal Feeds Langwathby
I had the other one S reg both had 220 ■■■■■■■
Graham Fenton had a V Reg Buffalo
Colin Mcguffog had a 6 wheeler Reiver Tipper
Stan Tuer had Atki 8 wheeler Tipper

Norman Croad Torquay Devon

6LX:
0Tuers Morland Penrith
John Brunskill “Brunk” Marathon T reg
"Enroute from L/Pool to Monkhouse Animal Feeds Langwathby
I had the other one S reg both had 220 ■■■■■■■
Graham Fenton had a V Reg Buffalo
Colin Mcguffog had a 6 wheeler Reiver Tipper
Stan Tuer had Atki 8 wheeler Tipper

Norman Croad Torquay Devon

Hello “6LX”, you mention Graham Fenton when he drove for Tuers, I new Graham when he drove J.T.Bell he had a Albion 4 wheeler, He sometimes loaded Danish Bacon on the Newcastle Quayside. I drove for Baxters Road Services in those good old days the 50s, We used to stay in digs at Manchester , Mrs Smiths & Doris Dance Mrs Smiths daughter on Hyde Rd Arwick Green, We used to have a few beers in The Devonshire Pub AKA As Tommys Music Hall,He was a great bloke to know, Regards Larry.

Here’s some pics Ken Graham has sent for us to look at

Well Hodge Ah think if Kenneth took them two shots wid 'is Box Brownie he would have been sat in his Go Chair eh! Cheers Dennis.