Cumbria companies

windrush:
Do you still get paid the 50% of a full load for any tonnage left over that can be returned to the plant for recycling, that was why in my day folk liked being the last to tip as, even if you only had a tonne left, you got paid 50% for full tonnage! :laughing:

Pete.

Yeah you still get half rate for taking loads back

JIMBO47:
where at Dumfries? is the plant at locharbriggs still on the go for the blackstuff,

Yes the plant at Jericho Bridge Locharbriggs is still going but I work out of Morrinton up near Dunscore

Hi Hodge, This Bedford S type PRM 778 was supplied new to Maurice & George Graham also identical PRM 777 12th July 1955 with an unladen weight of 3t-5cwt-0qtr The photo location is their secondary yard across from the main yard at Embleton also visible is the Cockermouth, Keswick & Workington railway line now the A66 roadway. A pal of mine had ambitions to drive this wagon when turning 21 but decided to start for ■■■■ Stamper at Dearham.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Hi Hodge my pal also tells me that this Dennis 6 wheeler loaded with chocolate chip from Rowntrees at Egremont bound for York was turned on its side on a bad bend on the A66 at Thornthwaite about 2-00am one morning trying to avoid a collision with a minibus.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Leyland600:
Hi Hodge, This Bedford S type PRM 778 was supplied new to Maurice & George Graham also identical PRM 777 12th July 1955 with an unladen weight of 3t-5cwt-0qtr The photo location is their secondary yard across from the main yard at Embleton also visible is the Cockermouth, Keswick & Workington railway line now the A66 roadway. A pal of mine had ambitions to drive this wagon when turning 21 but decided to start for ■■■■ Stamper at Dearham.
Cheers, Leyland 600.[/quote
Hiya Gerald, I recall when I were a Lad ! that JWG’s only garage was on the low side of the road at Embleton and it was many years before they acquired the old Quarry over the road. When I was “second man” with both RWB and later AHB they called in regularly at JWG for reasons I knew not ! And if I recall Vic Thompson moved into the original garage when JWG moved over to the larger site on the other side of the road I will stand corrected but that is my recollection . Cheers Dennis.

This Leyand Comet which arrived in summer 1962 after being exhibited at the Royal Lancashire Show at Blackpool. Its regular driver was the late Lawrence Jackson. There was a full page colour illustration on the cover of Commercial Motor 28th September 1962 edition. The photograph was taken in Thornthwaite forest. I was allocated a new Albion Clydesdale 560 HRM by Jim Lawson at the end of August 1962 which I picked up from the yard where the Bedford S type is shown in your previous posting. Graham’s had carried out the chassis and cab painting in their garage.
Cheers Leyland 600.

Gerald, have you gone on holiday or what ? I’m intrigued to learn if my recollection of the JWG garages either side of the A66 at Embleton is correct ?
I know I have difficulty nowadays (sometimes!) recalling what happened yesterday but being in the JWG garage with both RWB and AHB ( not at the same time) on the low side of the A66 at Embleton is as clear as if it were yesterday i.e 1957/8/9 ! Cheers Dennis.

Dennis, two brains are better than one, I always thought that the garage on the low side of the road was secondary to the main one in the quarry but only visiting the yard a couple of times in 1962 did not realise that it must have been their original yard so you are probably right. I think that that building may have been used as their paint shop.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Hodge, the photo showing the Leyland Motors stand would be at the Royal Lancashire Show at Blackpool in 1962. The Albion on the left sign written “Ideal Farm Foods” was a Reiver YHH ■■? was in the Carrs Flour Mills small group of companies back then Ideal being the trading name of John Pattinson
Farm Foods originally based in the mill on Whitehaven dock which later became Quaker Oats. The Reiver was painted an attractive dark blue and was driven by a a chap called Kenny Jenks who was a Londoner operating out of Silloth mill. The J.W. Graham Leyland Comet is 179 HRM as shown in your previous photos and the next Comet TD registered may have been for W&J Riding. Finally a Comet for E.J. Towers of Carnforth.
A great set of nostalgic photos try and get some more.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Hodge, the photo showing the Leyland Motors stand would be at the Royal Lancashire Show at Blackpool in 1962. The Albion on the left sign written “Ideal Farm Foods” was a Reiver YHH ■■? was in the Carrs Flour Mills small group of companies back then Ideal being the trading name of John Pattinson
Farm Foods originally based in the mill on Whitehaven dock which later became Quaker Oats. The Reiver was painted an attractive dark blue and was driven by a a chap called Kenny Jenks who was a Londoner operating out of Silloth mill. The J.W. Graham Leyland Comet is 179 HRM as shown in your previous photos and the next Comet 4267 TD registered may have been for W&J Riding. Finally a Comet for E.J. Towers of Carnforth.
A great set of nostalgic photos try and get some more.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Leyland600:
Dennis, two brains are better than one, I always thought that the garage on the low side of the road was secondary to the main one in the quarry but only visiting the yard a couple of times in 1962 did not realise that it must have been their original yard so you are probably right. I think that that building may have been used as their paint shop.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Aye Gerald, from my recollection frae doon this end I reckon JWG would have moved over the road and started to develop their new depot in the mid/late 60’s 60’s. They started selling Atkinsons and Boden/Crane Fruehauf at this time and my Pal the late John McGuffie bought his first new Atki 4 wheeler in late’68 “G” reg ( The one the late Tyson Burridge has in preservation) and shortly after this in about 1970 he also bought a new Atki Silver Knight prior to the Borderer being launched he would have dealt with George who was still part of the firm then. At about this time in 1970 John bought a new Scania 80 unit from JWG and I don’t believe Maurice was very enthusiastic about Scania which again would be about the time George left JWG and set up Graham Commercials in Carlisle. Maurice carried on selling Atkinsons but this came to an abrupt end when Scotts of Nottingham were appointed Distributors and opened up at Penrith in 1971. But Maurice continued to be faithful to Gardner engined Atkinsons and Seddon Atkinsons later on. We did a small bit of subbing off JWG in the early 70’s at Bewick Transport and I did buy a new C/F dry freight van and a couple of C/F 40 ft flats off Maurice and then when I bought John McGuffie’s flat business off him in 1974( John had bought 7 C/F flats off JWG from 1970 to 1973) our connection with JWG increased a fair bit as we then had motors running into Marchon on a daily basis with new 45gal drums from Liverpool. So we regularly reloaded back from Workington Steel down to Lancs / Cheshire areas. IIRC Victor Thompson occupied JWG’s old garage after they moved over the road, don’t know if Victor bought or rented but I tend to think it would have been rented. I know I am a bit vague but I think I have got the bones of the tale somewhat correct, mebe Hodge could put us dead straight eh! Cheers Dennis.

Aye Dennis I think Graham’s started dabbling with Scania about 1967, RWB & I went to look at a new 4 wheeler chassis cab about that time but I was after a Gardner to be truthful so promptly forgot about Scanias plus as a fairly new starter could not afford such a sophisticated machine. However I found a good trusty Foden albeit with a 6LW but it served me well for 3 years or so especially with excellent back up service from Foden’s Carleton, Carlisle depot.
Cheers, Leyland 600

A shot of two of our McGuffie widespreads, one loaded with new drums for Marchon and the other loaded with Pig iron probably for Midland Roll Makers at Crewe.

Leyland600:
Aye Dennis I think Graham’s started dabbling with Scania about 1967, RWB & I went to look at a new 4 wheeler chassis cab about that time but I was after a Gardner to be truthful so promptly forgot about Scanias plus as a fairly new starter could not afford such a sophisticated machine. However I found a good trusty Foden albeit with a 6LW but it served me well for 3 years or so especially with excellent back up service from Foden’s Carleton, Carlisle depot.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Now you’ve just reminded me Gerald because John McGuffie did buy a S/hand LB 76 which he must have got off Grahams around 1970, IIRC it was F reg and might have been ex WH Malcolm but I’m not certain. It was quite a motor from memory as it was either 250 or 275 bhp so compared to the Gardners it was a flying machine. As regards your date of around 1967 when Grahams started selling Scanias you are probably quite right but it was before I started and I was still at Brady’s then. Cheers Dennis.

One of LV subbies taken at the yard in Northfleet, Kent.

IMG_9186.jpg

Lawrence Dunbar:

6LX:
0Tuers Morland Penrith
John Brunskill “Brunk” Marathon T reg
"Enroute from L/Pool to Monkhouse Animal Feeds Langwathby
I had the other one S reg both had 220 ■■■■■■■
Graham Fenton had a V Reg Buffalo
Colin Mcguffog had a 6 wheeler Reiver Tipper
Stan Tuer had Atki 8 wheeler Tipper

Norman Croad Torquay Devon

Hello “6LX”, you mention Graham Fenton when he drove for Tuers, I new Graham when he drove J.T.Bell he had a Albion 4 wheeler, He sometimes loaded Danish Bacon on the Newcastle Quayside. I drove for Baxters Road Services in those good old days the 50s, We used to stay in digs at Manchester , Mrs Smiths & Doris Dance Mrs Smiths daughter on Hyde Rd Arwick Green, We used to have a few beers in The Devonshire Pub AKA As Tommys Music Hall,He was a great bloke to know, Regards Larry.

Hello Larry
Yes Graham was a Genuine chap to work with.Lived in Appleby…He had a Scammell Crusader and Later had a New Buffalo…We just brought back Animal feeds from L/Pool Docks to Langwathby…Tuers are not Trading now…

Norman Croad Torquay Devon