Cumbria companies

Leyland600:
Hi Roy it usually takes place in mid September in Fletchertown Village Hall, Tom Hamilton is a the organiser and the show presented by Nigel Scaife from Settle. Usually well supported and a very well presented show…
Cheers, Leyland 600

Thanks for that Gerald, I thought it was sooner than that.
I’ll make a note of it.

stevedaff:
CC wigton

Lovely motors these. I seem to recall there being a couple or more operators from the ■■■■■■■ region with the Carruthers name. Would they have been related or is it just a local name (or both?)

J.W. Hodgson Transport, Botcherby Mill, Carlisle. Photographs courtesy of Colin Whytock.

Great shots of Hodgson’s Gerald and they look like they were into Household Removals as well . The shot of the ERF artic is a tidy sheeting and roping job , and what do you think it was loaded with ? Peat Moss mebe ? Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis, I found this picture on the Interweb yesterday. I remember seeing Hudsons when I was
going to Kendal, Carlisle, and Glasgow for Robert Baillie. In early 1970, when the M6 was still
being built, I used to pass through Milnthorpe in the wee small hours. Now then, I have a question,
Before “■■■■■■■■ was invented, was Milnthorpe at the top end of Lancashire, or was it at the
bottom end of Westmorland ■■. Kind Regards, Ray.

Ray Smyth:
Hi Dennis, I found this picture on the Interweb yesterday. I remember seeing Hudsons when I was
going to Kendal, Carlisle, and Glasgow for Robert Baillie. In early 1970, when the M6 was still
being built, I used to pass through Milnthorpe in the wee small hours. Now then, I have a question,
Before “■■■■■■■■ was invented, was Milnthorpe at the top end of Lancashire, or was it at the
bottom end of Westmorland ■■. Kind Regards, Ray.

Hiya Ray,
Milnthorpe was always in south Westmorland albeit only about a mile or so from the Lancs border ! So if you were travelling from the main Lancs area to the Furness area of Lancs you had to run through the southern part of Westmorland and turning left at Levens Bridge lights off the A6 onto the A590 then on for a few miles until you crossed Winster beck at Lindale and you were then back in Lancashire. The original firm was J. B. Hudson who were the main repair and recovery operator from about Carnforth to Shap summit on the A6. In 1960 on the death of Maggie Bowman ( ne Hudson) their “A” Licenced haulage business, which comprised of 5 Octopus 8 wheelers and one ERF 4 wheeler along with the name was sold to Athersmith Bros of Barrow-in-Furness. Raymond Bowman, Maggie’s Son, then carried on with the repair and recovery part of the firm which was then renamed Hudson Engineers Ltd.
This a 1976 shot of the last two J.B.Hudson liveried motors which I acquired along with the K. Fell & Co operation from Davy & Co ( Grange)Ltd. Davy’s having bought the J. B. Hudson Ltd. haulage firm from Athersmith’s in 1966. Cheers Dennis.

hayday:

stevedaff:
CC wigton

Lovely motors these. I seem to recall there being a couple or more operators from the ■■■■■■■ region with the Carruthers name. Would they have been related or is it just a local name (or both?)

C & J Carruthers wigton who I worked for ran 3 arctic’s and a four wheeler then . Now they run several fh Volvo’s and an fm on fridge ( Gist) and tanker work to the dairy … Jim Carruthers Aspatria had a couple of Scanias in similar livery on low loader and tipper work and K & B Carruthers Appleby had a livery very similar to Jim Lawson … I don’t believe they we’re related …

Can Any Kendal experts on here help :smiley: ,for selside coming from the south can I go through town like normal :open_mouth: or should I be going around and coming back in on Windermere rd ? Thanks Dan’l

Punchy Dan:
Can Any Kendal experts on here help :smiley: ,for selside coming from the south can I go through town like normal :open_mouth: or should I be going around and coming back in on Windermere rd ? Thanks Dan’l

Up the bypass and down into the Town via Windermere rd. Dan’l. You can’t go through the Town from the south as there is a weight limit IIRC unless you are on the ■■■■■■ but I’d still go via the bypass ! Cheers Denz’l.

The 21st Leyland Society Gathering is on Sunday July 7th 2019.
at The British Commercial Vehicle Museum in Leyland, Lancashire.

Bewick:
Great shots of Hodgson’s Gerald and they look like they were into Household Removals as well . The shot of the ERF artic is a tidy sheeting and roping job , and what do you think it was loaded with ? Peat Moss mebe ? Cheers Dennis.

hodgsons didnt do household removals - they had 3 pantechnicon vans for carrying ladies hats for Kangol at cleator moor to all the shops around London- there were 2bedfords and a bmc. they backloaded from london with televisions or shredded wheat also a lot of other household goods

Nice bit of info about Hodgsons of Carlisle “EC11” They were I suppose over shadowed a bit by Robsons and Watts but by what you explain they had other sources of traffic of their own. I do recall that Hodgsons ran a nightly trunk from Carlisle to Watts depot at London Colney. Hodgsons main traffic south was Albright Wilsons ( Marchon ) from Whitehaven. Watts then reloaded their trunk motor back to ■■■■■■■■■■ or ■■■■■■■ as it is now known ! Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:
Nice bit of info about Hodgsons of Carlisle “EC11” They were I suppose over shadowed a bit by Robsons and Watts but by what you explain they had other sources of traffic of their own. I do recall that Hodgsons ran a nightly trunk from Carlisle to Watts depot at London Colney. Hodgsons main traffic south was Albright Wilsons ( Marchon ) from Whitehaven. Watts then reloaded their trunk motor back to ■■■■■■■■■■ or ■■■■■■■ as it is now known ! Cheers Bewick.

youve got that info wrong bewick- hodgsons had their own depot in London Colney-they had part of a yard & warehouse rented from T.J.ROBINS further down the road from J.W.WATTS. they had their own depot manager [TOMMY PUGH ] there were 5 drivers employed there- shunters and delivery/ collectors - all loads were sourced from their depot manager /they never loaded from J.W WATTS. in about 1970 they bought their own yard beside THE BELL BAR CAFE near south mimms[now owned by W.H.MALCOLM i am lead to believe

Well EC11 I stand corrected ! But when I was running my first motor, Ford D1000, 68/69 I used to sub lots of bits off J & W back to my area S. Westmorland and Furness , Lancaster areas. I was often in Watts depot once and twice a week and often there would be a Hodgsons motor there as well ! Obviously I didn’t know anything else about them I just assumed they were working with Watts certainly not any of the info you have but can I ask you when did Hodgsons finish or sell out ? If they had 5 shunters in the south they were a much larger outfit than I thought they were. Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:
Well EC11 I stand corrected ! But when I was running my first motor, Ford D1000, 68/69 I used to sub lots of bits off J & W back to my area S. Westmorland and Furness , Lancaster areas. I was often in Watts depot once and twice a week and often there would be a Hodgsons motor there as well ! Obviously I didn’t know anything else about them I just assumed they were working with Watts certainly not any of the info you have but can I ask you when did Hodgsons finish or sell out ? If they had 5 shunters in the south they were a much larger outfit than I thought they were. Cheers Bewick.

i think they finished around about 1980. the fellow that owned the firm[bill croswaite] lost his son and lost heart in the job - he sold a lot of the motors to Ireland and some of the oil contracts went to Robson with some of the motors- myself and another ex employee were having a reminise the other week and we started counting the old drivers and vehicles and jobs they did- we got to 52 motors and 60+ drivers

Thanks for the interesting info EC11, So Mr Hodgson must have sold the firm in the years previous to the chap you named as the last owner. I could only recall the years 68/69 so I had no idea of what happened later on as you say they were running 52 motors by 1980 ! That does surprise me as it would seem they were bigger than “Fast Eddie” in 1980 !. So why is there no photos of JWH apart from one or two very old ones I would have thought there must have been some shots about from later years. Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:
Thanks for the interesting info EC11, So Mr Hodgson must have sold the firm in the years previous to the chap you named as the last owner. I could only recall the years 68/69 so I had no idea of what happened later on as you say they were running 52 motors by 1980 ! That does surprise me as it would seem they were bigger than “Fast Eddie” in 1980 !. So why is there no photos of JWH apart from one or two very old ones I would have thought there must have been some shots about from later years. Cheers Bewick.

when i worked there between 1966 to 1971 there were 52 motors but after i left i lost contact with them so i dont know how many they were running in the end. i am led to believe the company started of as a taxi firm in morton street carlisle before being bought by bill croswaite.as a point of interest “Fast Eddie” moved into hodgsons yard after they packed in

Bewick:

The photo’s Dennis are in the drawer with the photos of the Big J’s with the big Percy.

David

5thwheel:

Bewick:

The photo’s Dennis are in the drawer with the photos of the Big J’s with the big Percy.

David

I do believe you could be right there David !Cheers Dennis :wink:

Bewick:

5thwheel:

Bewick:

David

I do believe you could be right there David !Cheers Dennis :wink:
[/quote ]
Well Dennis this one set of draws I would defo get into, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Regards Larry.