Cumbria companies

Probably some rogue frea merryport that’s been caught ont security camera :smiley:

Tuers of Morland ■■■■■■■
Albion Clydesdale with a Four-In -Line Trailer.

Norman Croad. Torquay Devon.

6LX:

Tuers of Morland ■■■■■■■

Now that is a fine old shot from the early/mid 60’s Norm ! Cheers Dennis.

I can remember Tuers very well One of their drivers Greame Fenton used to stay in the same digs as I did when in Manchester, We used to go for a few bevies in a pub called the Grapes near Ardwick Green, It was very popuplar with drivers EI Pickfords, Wynns Baxters Road Services , J.R Adams Orrell & Brewster, This was in the 50/60s Era, The good old days in my book, Present day stearing wheel attendent drivers dont seem to do this sort of thing, Dont get me wrong, But they just park up close their curtains & dont appear to speak to anyone, And some Ive seen have a cab that looks like a Wendy House, With loads of Teddy Bears & other silly things on their windscreens, Bloody sad IMO, what ever happened to the good crack in the pubs with drivers Im glad that Im out of the haulage game, Of course this is just an old haulage man giving his oppinion for what its worth, But a 81 years old who gives a ■■■■ anyway, Regards Larry.

6LX:

Tuers of Morland ■■■■■■■

Smashing pic Norman. Mike :slight_smile:

Bewick:

Leyland600:
Hi Paul, a good looking motor good luck with it. I have managed to turn the photo the right way up so as Dennis can hev a good luk at it an stop the blood running to his heid.
Cheers Leyland 600

Many thanks for your valued assistance in correcting this shambolic post Gerald ! :smiley: Now is it possible that you can “airbrush” Marra out of the shot eh! :wink: Who is he anyways ? :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Regards Dennis.

So where’s Marra disappeared till eh! whats the betting he’s flogging the arse of that new Scania on neets somewhere carting planings ( cash only £5 a ton where dose thoo want it tipping eh!) Come on Hodge we want the next instalment eh! Cheers Dennis.

My involvement with the Tuer family came about through the coach hiring industry, the late Fred Tuer, his wife and daughters do all they could if a fellow operator had a breakdown or other problem alway keen to lend a coach when needed and the reverse happened when they needed assistance. I always enjoyed Fred’s crack when parked up alongside him at a theme park, childrens farmyard, pantomime etc the crack was always entertaining. I attended his funeral at Carlisle Crematorium it must be about 2 years or so ago with a very large crowd of former hauliers, coach operators and industry suppliers. The cortege was preceded along Dalston Rd to the crematorium by Mark Douglas from Alston with his Albion Chieftain restored in Tuers livery, Fred would have been know it was there in his honour.
RIP Fred. Leyland 600.

Leyland600:
Hi Paul, a good looking motor good luck with it. I have managed to turn the photo the right way up so as Dennis can hev a good luk at it an stop the blood running to his heid.
Cheers Leyland 600

Thanks Gerald

Another eBay find . I presume this cab is off one of Robsons fodens

are these now called bulmans bulk ?

image.jpeg

Hi Dan, I sold my 1977 Foden S83 8 wheel bulk blower to David Bulman back in 1980.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Hi ,Looks very tidy :smiley: cheers .

Noo then Gerald I’d hev thowt thoo would have had ruddy g’t light bar on’t roof eh! plus flags and various other adornments on’t inside of’t screen ! :blush: :open_mouth: :wink: seriously though a very tidy outfit and no doubt you kept it in pristine condition so Bulman would have got a very reliable motor I guess! Cheers Dennis.

Punchy Dan:

This is a shot of Derick Hill jnr. when he carried on as an O/D after his dad Derick had been killed in a tragic accident in the workshop when a jack collapsed and he was crushed. I recall the incident very well because Malc Woodhouse Snr and me were asked if we would be interested in purchasing the firm which was called Savage Transport in which Derick Snr. was a partner called Savage who didn’t take part in the business. They ran about half a dozen artics IIRC ( as rigids) mainly on Fire bricks out of Scotland and steel and other traffic back up. This would be in the mid 70’s IIRC and they had a tidy fleet which Derick Snr ran very well but it was a “one man” band and there was , on the face of it, not a lot of value in the traffic as it was mainly “one off” loads and was in the main “subbed” apart from the brick traffic and every man and his dog was in on that out of Scotland. One very peculiar quirk we learned was there was a pile of new Michelin X tyres in the workshop, probably 20 odd or more and when we enquired of young Derick ( who drove for the firm) who actually showed us around he told us that his Dad bought 6 or 4 (not sure which) new Mich X 1100x22:5 every month ! Very strange we both thought at the time. Malc did offer to buy the fleet ( all Gardners) but the family wanted to sell as a “going concern” IIRC. We declined and I’m not just sure what happened eventually but Derrick Jnr carried on as an O/D as per the photo. Funny how a photo can cause the old memory cell to start churning ! Cheers Bewick. PS I have recalled an amusing incident a few years earlier on the M6 with young Derick in a Mk1 150LX and me in one of our 205 Cu Mk11’s but for another post !

Hi Dennis , No I did not have any fancy lightbars on the cab but on second thoughts perhaps I should have had a small searchlight point upwards on the cab roof as many farmers situated their bulk bins or milking parlour intake pipes in such a position that I was tipping the body underneath power cables a bit ropey on dark nights. One of Carr’s drivers a very experienced lad was tipping his ERF 6 wheeler feed tanker under cables one day in daylight with a reasonable gap between the top of the tank and cables with the discharge pipe clear of the ground. He was blowing away merrily when suddenly there was, a flash and a bang, the unicone clamp on the tank - hose connection flew open with cake spewing everywhere. The static electicity that can build up in the discharge pipe and through the vehicle pulled the cable further down until it contacted the wagon with the results described. Not wishing to touch the wagon until it was earthed the driver found a piece of steel bar and dropped it against the chassis before reaching in to stop the PTO to the blower. How he managed to get in and stop the engine I cannot remember but the incident gave us all a shock as we had all been in a similar situation at one farm or another. It was often good policy to fit an extra pipe in the discharge line and keep away from cables. I can recall pointing a torch skywards looking for cables at a new farm location just to make sure there were no cables that could cause problems on a dark winter night away out in the wilds.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Leyland600:
Hi Dennis , No I did not have any fancy lightbars on the cab but on second thoughts perhaps I should have had a small searchlight point upwards on the cab roof as many farmers situated their bulk bins or milking parlour intake pipes in such a position that I was tipping the body underneath power cables a bit ropey on dark nights. One of Carr’s drivers a very experienced lad was tipping his ERF 6 wheeler feed tanker under cables one day in daylight with a reasonable gap between the top of the tank and cables with the discharge pipe clear of the ground. He was blowing away merrily when suddenly there was, a flash and a bang, the unicone clamp on the tank - hose connection flew open with cake spewing everywhere. The static electicity that can build up in the discharge pipe and through the vehicle pulled the cable further down until it contacted the wagon with the results described. Not wishing to touch the wagon until it was earthed the driver found a piece of steel bar and dropped it against the chassis before reaching in to stop the PTO to the blower. How he managed to get in and stop the engine I cannot remember but the incident gave us all a shock as we had all been in a similar situation at one farm or another. It was often good policy to fit an extra pipe in the discharge line and keep away from cables. I can recall pointing a torch skywards looking for cables at a new farm location just to make sure there were no cables that could cause problems on a dark winter night away out in the wilds.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Hi, your story reminds me of one of the loads I carried in Saudi. (Sorry, Uncle Albert again, ‘Durin’ the war…') We never knew what was coming off the docks from Behring in the USA. One shipment of 20 or 30 trailers was to supply some sort of gravel plant up near the Kuwait Border (which reminds me in turn that on that job, John Longhorn saw a camel sleeping on the tarmac in the dark at the last second and swerved enough to avoid doing fatal damage to his truck, but the camel was less lucky. They used to sleep on the road because it was warmer than the sand in Winter).

On the port, I hooked up to a tanker trailer, which was empty. When I got back to the yard, Peter Best, the TM, asked me to take it up to Aramco and fill it with petrol and take it up to site, I think it was somewhere up near Nariyah. When I got to Aramco to load, the Egyptian loader asked where he could attach the static line. I hadn’t a clue what he was talking about. He explained that he was looking for a bare copper earthing tag, and we both looked around the trailer, but couldn’t find any connection point. I asked if it really mattered as I ‘was in a bit of a hurry.’

He smiled and said ‘Only if you want to live. The static will build up as we load the tank. If it has nowhere to go…BOOM! All Aramco will be gone!’ I went back to the yard, hammered flat some copper pipe and made a tag, sandpapered and drilled a flange on the trailer and bolted it on. When I got back up to Aramco, he allowed me to load, and it didn’t go BOOM.

That was my first experience of pulling a tanker and it certainly felt strange as the liquid moved back and forward as you accelerated and braked.

John.

So the tale I “trailed” in a previous post about an encounter I had with Young Derick Hill on the South bound M6 somewhere near Stoke/Keele area !
Savage Transport frae Penrith as I recall were known as a “no nonsense” get stuck in outfit run by the formidable Derick Hill Snr RIP. Their fleet colours were very similar to Stampers but IIRC the roofs were more of a “yellowy” colour but the maroon was identical from memory. Anyway this particular day circa '71/early '72 I’m tramping south in one of our 205 ■■■■■■■ Mk11 Atkis at 50 MPH ( which is the speed we ran at) fully freighted with 20 tons of paper. So who comes creeping alongside in his MK1 150LX Atki but young master Hill loaded with fire bricks IIRC. Now it was quite obvious he was " all out" speedwise and I was just sat there tickling the throttle at about 1800 rpm with 10MPH plus “in hand” so he’s along side not making one inch ! so I just give the 205 a few more revs and pulled away from young Mr Hill ! Then I slackened back to a steady 50 but lo and behold up he creeps again but as he gets along side he’s rocking and rolling backwards and forwards in his seat trying to push the MK1 past ! It was hilarious to watch so I gives the 205 it’s head and left him floundering in the middle lane and he eventually got the message and dropped in and stayed there ! I normally wouldn’t have bothered but I knew them as “ram Arses” so I couldn’t resist winding him up. I have another tale which I’ve just recalled ,this time about Derrick Snr RIP in his brand new 8LXB Boderer northbound at the southern end of the Atherstone bypass on the A5 !For another day ! Cheers Bewick.

Derick is still going up and down the M6 in his little tautliner van :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: