Cumbria companies

Bewick:

hodgeturbo:

hodgeturbo:

Bewick:
Where’s Hodge ? is he on Neets with his new Scanny ? It’s nee good parked up it should be earning it’s keep eh!

Still getting painted Dennis going in the Tipton at Harrogate on the road June

Nearly ready Paul ! What size and make of tyres is it shod on ? and did you spec them or you just took what it came on ? All the best at Tipcon Cheers Dennis.

It came with good years on Dennis but I’ve put michelins on the front.the choice of tyre is Michelin,Bridgestone or Goodyear I’ve had Michelin and Goodyear both did well but think the Goodyears did best and there£45 a tyre cheaper when ordering a new truck

The fronts are 385 and rears 295

hodgeturbo:

Sounds like a girl I used to date “hodge turbo”!!!

David

5thwheel:

hodgeturbo:

David

Trust you to introduce a bit of “Percy Filth” onto the thread David ! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :blush: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

hodgeturbo:

Bought loads of both them sizes Paul, the 385’s were on our tri-axle trailers and the 295’s were on the later Scania units. The trailers and the units joined the fleet with Michelin as O/E and then I used to buy both Bridgestone and Mich as well as some Toyo as replacements £10,000 per month on average in latter years and we had minimal tyre damage on our operation which mebe was quite a bit less than some Tipper lads eh! One thing I stopped doing years ago was buy remoulds although I did carry on for a while still having my own Mich cases recapped by Bandag but only for use on drive axles and they were the 1100x22:5 and 1200x 22:5 Mich cases only. As far as the tandem axle trailers were concerned I only bought new cases in job lots (at the right price :wink: ) and they were mainly Toyo and Yokohama and then I sold the casings for decent money to a good Pal who was in the second hand case job and he knew that our tyres had been well looked after eh! Could talk about tyres till’t coos come yam eh! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

hodgeturbo:

Bought loads of both them sizes Paul, the 385’s were on our tri-axle trailers and the 295’s were on the later Scania units. The trailers and the units joined the fleet with Michelin as O/E and then I used to buy both Bridgestone and Mich as well as some Toyo as replacements £10,000 per month on average in latter years and we had minimal tyre damage on our operation which mebe was quite a bit less than some Tipper lads eh! One thing I stopped doing years ago was buy remoulds although I did carry on for a while still having my own Mich cases recapped by Bandag but only for use on drive axles and they were the 1100x22:5 and 1200x 22:5 Mich cases only. As far as the tandem axle trailers were concerned I only bought new cases in job lots (at the right price :wink: ) and they were mainly Toyo and Yokohama and then I sold the casings for decent money to a good Pal who was in the second hand case job and he knew that our tyres had been well looked after eh! Could talk about tyres till’t coos come yam eh! Cheers Dennis.

Hiya,
I remember a sign just inside the main gate at W J Ridings it read “Check tyre pressures daily, but leave the inflation to us” I had the best pair of steely boots you could buy funnily they always registered 90 PSI.
thanks harry, long retired.

harry_gill:

Bewick:

hodgeturbo:

Hiya,
I remember a sign just inside the main gate at W J Ridings it read “Check tyre pressures daily, but leave the inflation to us” I had the best pair of steely boots you could buy funnily they always registered 90 PSI.

Hi Harry, I wonder how many of present day young drivers would know what you are saying & mean ■■?, Do you think their Sat Nav would alert them to this old way of checking a hard or soft tyre, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , Regards Larry.

Bewick:

5thwheel:

hodgeturbo:

David

Trust you to introduce a bit of “Percy Filth” onto the thread David ! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :blush: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

And some 240 Percy Filth at that Dennis!!

David

harry_gill:

Bewick:

hodgeturbo:

Hiya,

Aye Harry all we ever wanted our lads to do was have a “kick round” but never get involved with inflation, our Tyre fitter had a “toffee hammer” as I called it and he would go around the fleet tapping and he never failed to find an even slightly deflated tyre ! Had the touch of a highly qualified Surgeon :wink: saved the firm £000’s on the tyre bill. :smiley: Regards dennis.

Noo come on Hodge where’s these Tipcon photos of this new Scanny ? We’er all hodden oor breath waiting Eh! Cheers Dennis.

Tyres.

Brother Andy tells me he can remember that the 1962 Leyland Comet 4 wheeler, which was on cross plies used to ‘bump’ for the first mile or two if you set off in winter fully loaded. As the tyres warmed, the flat spot disappeared.

I didn’t remember that, but certainly remember putting a set of 4 Dunlop cross ply (made where I don’t remember, possibly not in UK by then) across the back of the Saviem unit in Saudi about 1978/79.

I liked Michelin Radial on the steer.

No bump from the Dunlop in Summer, but in winter, you sometimes got close to freezing around Riyadh at dawn and they bumped. Not in Dammam on the gulf coast, winter in Dammam was a bit like summer in England, some rain, sometimes torrential, but mostly sunny days, 16 - 20 degrees. No bumpy cross plies! Jeddah is in the tropics. Even winter was hot. Those Dunlop cross plies wore very well.

Whenever I start I’m reminded of Uncle in only fools and horses. ‘When I was in Saudi…’ Mass evacuation!

A German man, about 50 years old, visited my 20’ container transport office in about 1981. He’d come out on spec and had arranged a shipment of Hungarian made tyres. I can’t remember what make they were now, but I agreed to buy about 16 and put them on a couple of trailers. They were radials and looked exactly like Michelins, but of course they were cheaper. They were good.

After a couple of years, we bought all our tyres from him, he also shipped some Sava tyres made in Yugoslavia. They looked the same Michelin pattern as the Hungarian ones, but we found that they weren’t the same quality. We finished up using the Savas on the trailers and the Hungarian ones on the units as I remember.

John.

John West:
Tyres.

Brother Andy tells me he can remember that the 1962 Leyland Comet 4 wheeler, which was on cross plies used to ‘bump’ for the first mile or two if you set off in winter fully loaded. As the tyres warmed, the flat spot disappeared.

I didn’t remember that, but certainly remember putting a set of 4 Dunlop cross ply (made where I don’t remember, possibly not in UK by then) across the back of the Saviem unit in Saudi about 1978/79.

I liked Michelin Radial on the steer.

No bump from the Dunlop in Summer, but in winter, you sometimes got close to freezing around Riyadh at dawn and they bumped. Not in Dammam on the gulf coast, winter in Dammam was a bit like summer in England, some rain, sometimes torrential, but mostly sunny days, 16 - 20 degrees. No bumpy cross plies! Jeddah is in the tropics. Even winter was hot. Those Dunlop cross plies wore very well.

Whenever I start I’m reminded of Uncle in only fools and horses. ‘When I was in Saudi…’ Mass evacuation!

A German man, about 50 years old, visited my 20’ container transport office in about 1981. He’d come out on spec and had arranged a shipment of Hungarian made tyres. I can’t remember what make they were now, but I agreed to buy about 16 and put them on a couple of trailers. They were radials and looked exactly like Michelins, but of course they were cheaper. They were good.

After a couple of years, we bought all our tyres from him, he also shipped some Sava tyres made in Yugoslavia. They looked the same Michelin pattern as the Hungarian ones, but we found that they weren’t the same quality. We finished up using the Savas on the trailers and the Hungarian ones on the units as I remember.

John.

Good Year High Millers were noted for this being nylon quality, Regards Larry.

Bewick:
Noo come on Hodge where’s these Tipcon photos of this new Scanny ? We’er all hodden oor breath waiting Eh! Cheers Dennis.

There ya gar Dennis

hodgeturbo:
There ya gar Dennis

This b@@@dy phone

hodgeturbo:
There ya gar Dennis

Oh! ■■■■ it the bloods run to me heed eh! Why don’t you just own up Hodge, you’ve just been out on the ■■■■ eh! like a Bear wid a ■■■■■■■ coconut eh! Noo then wats the crack wid that name on’t side o’t tipper box, I’ve seen a few of the Burlington Agg 8 wheelers down here, is it summat to do with Lord Cavendish’s Burlington Slate operation. We’ll be hevin to doff our cadies to thee next ! :wink: A fine looking motor anyway Paul far better than them Mercs and Hinos ? that Burlington are running by a mile, I bet there was a lot of interest in it at Tipcon though. Have you got it into service yit or ista still admiring it in’t yard :open_mouth: Cheers Dennis.

hodgeturbo:

Bewick:

Smart motor, Mr Hodge. (You any relation of A & J of D by any chance?).

I trust whoever pilots it does so with a bit of noggin, unlike that Burlington Aggregates muppet who nearly wiped one of our lads out about a month ago.

Arrogant ■■■■ needs taken off the road. Just seen the dash-cam footage. :open_mouth:

hodgeturbo:

Bewick:

Hi Paul! Now thats a really nice tipper! How mutch dose it weight empty?

Danne

Hi Paul, a good looking motor good luck with it. I have managed to turn the photo the right way up so as Dennis can hev a good luk at it an stop the blood running to his heid.
Cheers Leyland 600

Paul Hodgson.JPG

Leyland600:
Hi Paul, a good looking motor good luck with it. I have managed to turn the photo the right way up so as Dennis can hev a good luk at it an stop the blood running to his heid.
Cheers Leyland 600

Many thanks for your valued assistance in correcting this shambolic post Gerald ! :smiley: Now is it possible that you can “airbrush” Marra out of the shot eh! :wink: Who is he anyways ? :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Regards Dennis.