Cumbria companies

This is an early/mid 70’s shot of our garage down in Milnthorpe village and one of Savage Transport’s ( Derick Hill Snr) artics over the one of the pits having failed it’s MOT at the MOT Station. Derick came down into the village to call on our help, which I gladly gave !! Can’t just remember what the failure was but I think it was “play” in a track rod end !! Derick was driving the 8LXB and was en-route to S. Wales so it was a fair trek back to Stainton at Penrith ! We sorted him and he was tested and on his way, bull arsing his way down to S.Wales !! As you can see the M & G Coiler is loaded with fire brick from, probably, Manuel Works !! Cheers Bewick.

Punchy Dan:

Just an observation but am I right in seeing that Young Dericks motor is shod on 1000x20’s ? very odd as Tubeless had been dominant over the previous 10 years for both weight and simplicity i.e. wheel centre and tyre 1100x22:5, as opposed to wheel/flap/tube/rim and locking ring ! very strange on a “V” reg motor ! Cheers Dennis.

So back to the tale of Derick Snr on the A5 ! So I’m making steady progress one day up the A5 on my way home loaded with wood pulp from Tilbury ! I can’t just recall what motor I was driving but I think it was the last Mastiff I operated, I don’t think it was one of the first Atkis, anyway it doesn’t matter as it has no bearing on what happened as the incident is as clear to me to-day as it was back then in about 1972 IIRC. Motoring along those long stretches of the A5 from nowhere Whoosh !!! Derick Hill sailed past in his new 8LXB Borderer literally airborne !! loaded with probably 10 or 12 large reels, which turned out to be liner board :blush: So as I got to that elongated roundabout at the southern end of Atherstone I could see a blue light flashing at the far end of the “O” and thought Oh ! Oh! what’s happening :unamused: Lo and behold as I got around the “O” and turned onto the by-pass guess what ? the Savage Transport Atki is stood in the off-side lane about 100yds along and all the reels but one ( yes one :blush: ) are on the grass in the central reservation ! traffic could still pass by on the inside lane. Derick was stood with the Bobby on the grass surveying the carnage ! I thought well Derick you’ll be late home to Penrith to-night mate if the load was for Scotland ! Those reels of liner board are of low quality so as they landed on grass and provided they didn’t get their centres crushed would be useable as they are so tightly wound that there would be little or no damage ! Happy days ! Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:

Just an observation but am I right in seeing that Young Dericks motor is shod on 1000x20’s ? very odd as Tubeless had been dominant over the previous 10 years for both weight and simplicity i.e. wheel centre and tyre 1100x22:5, as opposed to wheel/flap/tube/rim and locking ring ! very strange on a “V” reg motor ! Cheers Dennis.

Dennis for an oxygen thief you’ve got better eyes than me :blush:

Punchy Dan:

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:

No wonder Dan’l going by some of that fancy beer you were drinking Friday night mate ! either that or you didn’t “change 'ands” at 99 :blush: Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:

No wonder Dan’l going by some of that fancy beer you were drinking Friday night mate ! either that or you didn’t “change 'ands” at 99 :blush: Cheers Dennis.

Dennis you can be very naughtey at times But its all good old banter, & IMO,If anyone including the C/F Leatherhead chappy, Im being kind here and not calling him a ■■■■■ Cant take it I would suggest they go onto another thread that caters for their sort of whatever trash that they want to Spout about, Regards Larry.

An F10 operated by the family Business of A. D. Boyes of Ireby in North ■■■■■■■ the village where I spent my formative childhood and spent many happy hours sat on the bonnets of their Beaver and Comet and later on the passenger seat of their first couple of Traders. I reckon this Volvo would have been driven at the time of the shot by the late Robbie Boyes the elder of the two brothers the younger brother was the late Alex jnr. a.k.a. “The manager”. Happy times in the 50’s Cheers Bewick.

Another fleet line up of ERF’s run by another long gone West ■■■■■■■■ Marra of mine Harry Thompson a Great Lad one of the best !

Thoo’ s Reet Dennis, photographed at The Brandraw junction in Speytri, Port Talbot bound I guess. I believe Robbie had pulled over to allow a large abnormal load through travelling in the opposite direction, The all over advert bus is another clue, the 30 Carlisle- Whitehaven service heading west would normally have been parked on the other side of the road outside Bouch’s general store but had to move over for the wide load. I remember this bus in its overall advertising livery for Border TV about 1984 I think. I have seen this photo elsewhere on this site one of a series showing the wide load passing through Aspatria. (the towns Sunday name)
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Leyland600:
Thoo’ s Reet Dennis, photographed at The Brandraw junction in Speytri, Port Talbot bound I guess. I believe Robbie had pulled over to allow a large abnormal load through travelling in the opposite direction, The all over advert bus is another clue, the 30 Carlisle- Whitehaven service heading west would normally have been parked on the other side of the road outside Bouch’s general store but had to move over for the wide load. I remember this bus in its overall advertising livery for Border TV about 1984 I think. I have seen this photo elsewhere on this site one of a series showing the wide load passing through Aspatria. (the towns Sunday name)
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Thanks for the additional info Gerald ! What weight do you reckon that “mangle” would have been on the Volvo ? Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis I seem to remember Robbie telling me that these top zones as I think they were called grossed out about 56 tons.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Leyland600:
Hi Dennis I seem to remember Robbie telling me that these top zones as I think they were called grossed out about 56 tons.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Aye Gerald there was nowt too big or too heavy for oor Robbie to tackle eh! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:
An F10 operated by the family Business of A. D. Boyes of Ireby in North ■■■■■■■ the village where I spent my formative childhood and spent many happy hours sat on the bonnets of their Beaver and Comet and later on the passenger seat of their first couple of Traders. I reckon this Volvo would have been driven at the time of the shot by the late Robbie Boyes the elder of the two brothers the younger brother was the late Alex jnr. a.k.a. “The manager”. Happy times in the 50’s Cheers Bewick.

It was an F12 Dennis,ended up on the slag bank at Workington

hodgeturbo:

At least it’s only side wards and nut upside down!!!

hodgeturbo:

Hiya,
Taught myself to be an artic driver in one like this in the late 1950s
it took me only a couple of shunts to put it in the bay, I had been
driving an Octopus and drawbar trailer only the same morning so
it didn’t take a lot of doing in my case, nice to have another string
to my bow and got me a class 1 licence as opposed to a class 2 if I’d
still been driving the leggers when the grandfather rights came in.
thanks harry,long retired

hodgeturbo:

hodgeturbo:

Obviously Hodge would appear to be quite relaxed about been on his side a few times, he only hasn’t managed to cowp yan reet upside doon yit eh ! :blush: :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

hodgeturbo:

hodgeturbo:

Obviously Hodge would appear to be quite relaxed about been on his side a few times, he only hasn’t managed to cowp yan reet upside doon yit eh ! :blush: :wink: Cheers Dennis.

I’ve had two over Dennis an eight wheeler and an artic

hodgeturbo:

Bewick:

hodgeturbo:

hodgeturbo:

I’ve had two over Dennis an eight wheeler and an artic

Well all I say Paul is ---- I hope it’s not third time lucky eh! and are you going on this old truck run ? Cheers Dennis.

Probably have a look but don’t think I could have the 143 ready in time!!