Criminal conviction

Alright

I’ve been saving to get my HGV training and licence, basically with me being on an IVA with no disposable income i got a little desperate and stole some high end goods from my work with a plan to resell. The company ended up catching me and i have been charged and have to go court. Stupid mistake i know. Im not a criminal i made a big mistake and we all deserve a second chance but anyway i still want to be a HGV driver, But am wondering if its even worth it now :frowning: obviously your driving thousands of pounds of goods all day. Should i not bother? will all the companies do criminal checks?

Constructive answers only please.

cheers

If convicted you’re legally required to declare it to an employer until spent, which a minor offence eventually will be.

mrpj:
If convicted you’re legally required to declare it to an employer until spent, which a minor offence eventually will be.

Well im not going to admit to it unless asked. I cant imagine anyone would hire me other wise. Do HGV companies ask and do the check? I dont want to pay for the training if i have no future in the industry

Some do, some don’t. I’d still go for it.

Plus, your conviction will be spent within 2 years under new guidelines in November which will neatly coincide with the 2 years experience problem you’ll encounter trying to get a job in the first place.

Terry T:

Plus, your conviction will be spent within 2 years under new guidelines in November which will neatly coincide with the 2 years experience problem you’ll encounter trying to get a job in the first place.

Thats interesting can you explain that a little more? not entirely sure what the spent thing means as was told itd be on my record for life- cheers

jakeh1989:

Terry T:

Thats interesting can you explain that a little more? not entirely sure what the spent thing means as was told itd be on my record for life- cheers

Have a read here.

http://www.yourrights.org.uk/yourrights/privacy/spent-convictions-and-the-rehabilitation-of-offenders/how-a-conviction-becomes-spent.html

There is a thing called the rehabilitation of offenders act to look up too.

Calm yourself mate.

Chris-J:

jakeh1989:

Terry T:

Have a read here.

http://www.yourrights.org.uk/yourrights/privacy/spent-convictions-and-the-rehabilitation-of-offenders/how-a-conviction-becomes-spent.html

Calm yourself mate.

Thanks mate interesting read, so say after my rehabilitation time i would no longer be able to be penalised for the offence?

jakeh1989:

Chris-J:

jakeh1989:

Terry T:

Have a read here.

Calm yourself mate.

Thanks mate interesting read, so say after my rehabilitation time i would no longer be able to be penalised for the offence?

That depends on what the job you are applying for is I would say.

For example it would still count against you if you wanted to drive say a prison van or a security vehicle but not an ice-cream van.

Chris-J:

jakeh1989:

Chris-J:

jakeh1989:

Terry T:

Have a read here.

Calm yourself mate.

That depends on what the job you are applying for is I would say.

For example it would still count against you if you wanted to drive say a prison van or a security vehicle but not an ice-cream van.

lol cant see myself driving either but i get you mate. So would you say go for the HGV thing? just want to drive lorrys really

jakeh1989:

I once tried to employ a driver who openly admitted a criminal conviction only to be declined cover by the insurance company (it wasn’t a motoring offence). Failure to disclose could cause problems later on is my point :neutral_face:

mrpj:

jakeh1989:

I once tried to employ a driver who openly admitted a criminal conviction only to be declined cover by the insurance company (it wasn’t a motoring offence). Failure to disclose could cause problems later on is my point :neutral_face:

aw man that aint good i’ve really screwed myself over here all i wanted to do was secure a good future, earn a good living

If getting you on a company insurance meant you having a clean record then that question will be asked at interview or on an application form

If it is not a company or insurance requirement then likely it will not get asked

If any job requires a CRB check then it will be listed on that and from what I remember it does not matter if it was 20 years ago - it will be mentioned on a CRB - unless that has changed in the last 3 years

jakeh1989:

mrpj:

jakeh1989:

aw man that aint good i’ve really screwed myself over here all i wanted to do was secure a good future, earn a good living

I wouldn’t disagree with any of the replies you have had so far but you shouldn’t worry too much in my opinion.
Why don’t you call an agency and ask them ?

You have been charged but not convicted yet so you never know eh ?

Chris-J:

jakeh1989:

mrpj:

jakeh1989:

I wouldn’t disagree with any of the replies you have had so far but you shouldn’t worry too much in my opinion.
Why don’t you call an agency and ask them ?

You have been charged but not convicted yet so you never know eh ?

yeah i think ringing up an agency would be a good idea your right. Well i’ve been charged and have admitted it, my solicitor thinks i’ll get a fine/ maybe have to pay back some of the money and some community service, no prison though. Im kicking myself i really am just trying to move past it though think to the future

There’s no jobs anyway so there’s no point. There’s some newbies on here that passed a year ago and still haven’t found work so rather you than me chap.

The point someone made about insurance cover is worth noting too. There’s an increasing number of them won’t insure you for a private policy if you have criminal convictions but I can’t tell you if this is also seeping its way into fleet policies as well.

Yeah no worries well cheers for all your responses anyway.

Rob K:
The point someone made about insurance cover is worth noting too. There’s an increasing number of them won’t insure you for a private policy if you have criminal convictions but I can’t tell you if this is also seeping its way into fleet policies as well.

Why, that’s crazy :open_mouth: :confused:

Terry T:

Rob K:

Why, that’s crazy :open_mouth: :confused:

Because, insurance company! They’ve all turned into little hitler’s over this past decade.

Hi Jake!

Don’t beat yourself up over it mate. I know of people who have been convicted of far worse things and they have managed to secure normal full time employment. I don’t want to go into details obviously! :laughing: It all depends on whether you get asked, and you won’t get asked everytime, trust me. And even if you are honest and tell them (always the best policy really) it doesn’t mean they won’t take you on. In fact by law they can’t descriminate against you just because of a previous conviction. But again, it depends on the offence…a bloke who gets convicted of child abuse isn’t going to be offered a job as a PE teacher!! :smiley: But he probably will get a job in a warehouse unloading or packing goods etc. Also, after your conviction is spent you won’t have to declare it either, so you only have to declare it if you get asked and before the time it becomes spent.

Ignore people saying there are no jobs as well, as far as I’m aware all the people who gain their LGV licence gets to use it before long. I had a cat C licence in 2004 and was using it the following year. The only reason I didn’t use it immediately was because within days of passing the cat C test, I secured myself a job as a coach driver! :slight_smile: (I received free training for that, by the company!) After a while of getting bored of taking school kids to school everyday, I left and got a cat C job straight away without any problems. I haven’t been driving LGV vehicles ever since then either, just on and off with agencies. Then, after losing a good LGV job in late 2011, I decided to upgrade to the cat C+E. I passed that in January 2012 then within weeks I was using it for a local campany! Unfortunately I was made redundant about 2 months later as the work suddenly died off a bit, and as I was the last to join the company, I was the first one out. However, within a few weeks of that, I was offered another job (in another part of the country) and I went for it. I’m still there now! :sunglasses:

I also understand that if you want to drive trucks in the USA or Canada, they won’t accept anyone who has any kind of criminal record. So, you might find it difficuly then.

So, go for it mate! Good Luck. :sunglasses:

mrpj:

That is not constructive under the act of 1974, if a conviction is spent you do not have to declare a conviction again, it is not unlawful to not declare unless asked, you do not offer up information. you can even get a job in the Prison Service with a spent record … for theft handling stolen goods etc.

you need to know the law if you are gonna spout crap.

For OP, if you are convicted then it will stay on record for life however when spent it could be 2,5 or 10 years etc. you no longer have to declare it. as it could be used against you if two persons were to go for job etc … however if it is a 1st offence you could get off with a conditional discharge which is a case of if you no further offence is commited within the set time it is discharged.

Must say stupid for stealing from employer, I would not trust you now from an employer perspective thinking well he did it to them why not me mud sticks etc. good luck and do it, some of the employers of companies are as bent as hell … PM Slimeyphil he will put you in right direction,