CRB Checks Yes or No

Do you think you should have to have a CRB Check (crimnal record check) to drive a lorry - van would you have one or not if not why not and also how would you say no if you did not want one. What sort of goods would you think you would be carrying for this to be done or type of work. My views are these CRBs are for teachers and people looking after children and people hospital E.T.C . What do you think? :grimacing:

If you will be delivering vulnerable high value goods, they will be looking for any convictions for theft or fraud,
likewise for schools/old peoples homes they will be looking for â– â– â–  offenders.

As crb check is an invasion of your privacy you have the right to refuse it but doing so can/will affect your employment, to be honest if you said no you will look like you’re hiding something.

Depending on what goods you are carrying, some insurance companies insist on it before they will give you cover for goods in transit.

Why would you need a CRB check when they are now teaching ex.cons to drive trucks as part of a criminal rehabilitation programme. (which incidentally is really going to go a long way to raising our perceived public profile aint it :unamused:)

Most of the public think we are uneducated unwashed criminal low life dregs anyway (unfortunately for most of us that are not, they do have a point in some cases :neutral_face: )… that should serve our purpose by delivering their goods, and then ■■■■ off out of their towns and disappear for the night until next time, so basically I wouldn’t worry about it mate.

Like it’s already been said for certain loads/customers then yes, for general haulage then no. A convicted criminal who has spent his/her time has the right for that conviction to be undisclosed if it comes under the Spent Convictions

Im not being pedantic, but the old crb is now the dbs…disclosure barring service. There is two levels basic and enhanced. The 1st one does a basic check as too who you are/were you live/and wether you are known to the old bill and any offences if you have them. The 2nd does same as 1st with checks on list 21/and social services checks/and other authority checks with regards to vunrable adults/kids etc. Nowt to worry about UNLESS you are/or have a rather savory past.

another1:
Im not being pedantic, but the old crb is now the dbs…disclosure barring service. There is two levels basic and enhanced. The 1st one does a basic check as too who you are/were you live/and wether you are known to the old bill and any offences if you have them. The 2nd does same as 1st with checks on list 21/and social services checks/and other authority checks with regards to vunrable adults/kids etc. Nowt to worry about UNLESS you are/or have a rather savory past.

Yeah but the question isn’t would you object, the question was is it necessary. The fact is for 80% of transport jobs it isn’t!

NewLad:

another1:
The fact is for 80% of transport jobs it isn’t!

You’re going out with a £60k unit and a £30k trailer with £500+ of fuel in the tanks, a fuel card with god knows what credit limit on it and the load is worth £1000s - £100,000s. I’m surprised more don’t do it.

Yes yet another good money spinner :unamused:

Conor:
You’re going out with a £60k unit and a £30k trailer with £500+ of fuel in the tanks, a fuel card with god knows what credit limit on it and the load is worth £1000s - £100,000s. I’m surprised more don’t do it.

By the same token, there are many dodgy hauliers out there with a string of drivers hours offences created by their greed and mismanagement, endless run ins with Vosa and the police for badly maintained trucks and overweight loads etc. If employers are going to demand a crb check, than at the same time the agency that deals with that process should also give the person being checked crb details of the person or company that is requesting it. No good an individual being ‘cleared’ if the organisation employing them is corrupt. :neutral_face:

Yep, can’t see any reason not to have one, as stated if the nature of your work brings you into contact with vunerable demographic groups. i.e young children, window lickers, cyclists etc…

A few years ago my wife started a nursery and I had to have one, even though my involvement was more on the paperwork side of things. no problem at all.

Probably the only thread where ‘thinking of the children’ is not really appropriate.

Im going to tell this company no to there CRB i dont see why they need to know my life history i have my clean licence a passport i live where i say i live and have the bills and morgage to prove it im okay money wise wife has a great job i work bloody hard as i enjoy working and i can do the job that they want doing well and impress the client if they don,t trust me why should i trust them :unamused:

another1:

…Only if you were convicted do you need to worry…

deck21:
Im going to tell this company no to there CRB i dont see why they need to know my life history i have my clean licence a passport i live where i say i live and have the bills and morgage to prove it im okay money wise wife has a great job i work bloody hard as i enjoy working and i can do the job that they want doing well and impress the client if they don,t trust me why should i trust them :unamused:

If its a good job with good wages and you have nothing to hide, whats the problem?

Truckulent:

It’s an invasion of my privacy.
Unless I was applying for a job meaning a CRB check was reasonable, I’d refuse permission.
I’m a truck driver, I have a checkable track record, all the information a prospective employer needs is there.
An ordinary job driving an ordinary truck isn’t reasonable cause for a CRB check.

Simon:

Truckulent:

It’s an invasion of my privacy.
Unless I was applying for a job meaning a CRB check was reasonable, I’d refuse permission.
I’m a truck driver, I have a checkable track record, all the information a prospective employer needs is there.
An ordinary job driving an ordinary truck isn’t reasonable cause for a CRB check.

I agree.

I merely meant that, unless you are actually convicted of an offence, the DBS (CRB as was) will show up nothing. So for those that do have something to hide, unless a conviction has occurred, nothing would show up.

So it’s of some use, but no guarantee of anything. Sadly, these days, people assume if you have a problem with the check (where it’s needed of course), it’s because you are hiding something, not because you have a (perfectly reasonably) desire to stop a 1984 style government/society shoving it’s nose up everyone’s arse all the time to see if it smells.

Presumed guilty until you prove otherwise just about covers it.

Had to have a enhanced check done a few years back before I could get married because at the time my wife to be worked with children she ran a nursery from home, I can see the reasoning behind this but if it had gone wrong for what ever reason she would have had to pack up work or we would not have been able to marry. As far as I know you don’t have to have one done if you where just marrying a lady with a young family, they have their place where children are involved but for road transport that’s talking it too far.

Ossie

There are some instances where convictions are nowt to do with an employer. If someone got involved in a punch up in their teens for example, how does that stop them driving a truck in their forties? (nope it not me :wink: ).

Do you get to see a copy of the report to check it’s accuracy?

The crb/dbs is sent directly to your address and you then take said document to the boss and he photocopys it. The document is yours not theirs. Therfore you do and can check for any mistakes within.