Crazy Loggers

Just returned from a 5 day tour of the western Highlands, Oban. Fort William and Glencoe. The road conditions were treacherous with heavy rain fallen leaves scattering the roads and mud on the roads coupled up with hairpin type bends (blind bends) etc. The roads were quite narrow in sections and all conditions called for careful driving in order to be safe. Now the cars were not so much of a problem but the loggers were hurtling around blind bends taking up more than their fair share of the road. To the point where I was nearly touching the sides of them when passing either side. The risks they take on some stretches of road were questionable. Not skilled driving but bordering dangerous. Are these loggers on bonus work or something? They dont give an inch up or slow down when approaching them. Mindless and crazy springs to mind.

Think of them as tipper drivers.

Then it makes sense.

Usual crack mate I would imagine… Knobs daft enough to try (and succeed :unamused: ) to meet tight schedules set by other knibs in offices,.with most probably an (illegal) incentive bonus chucked in the mix.to make their endurance test of a job a bit more bearable and lucrative. :unamused:
Just avoid and ignore them and let em get on with it until they end up in a ditch somewhere.

As a rule (and something I discussed with Robroy yesterday) if the guy hurtling towards you has steel mirror guards you really need to keep out of his way , because as sure as eggs is eggs he ain’t gonna keep out of yours .

i dont imagine those bloody great mirrors on coaches make those sort of journeys easy yt… :open_mouth:

Yep,crazy Jocks (of which I am one ) A Jock, not crazy. Well I don’t think so. :wink:

Don’t like others calling the Scots Jocks but I seem to get away with it. :laughing:

years back a Volvo log truck used to often pass me on a back road exactly as you described, then suddenly i never saw it again.Can see it in my mind even now pale green cab log poles swaying .
About 5 yrs later was at a BBQ ,one of the sons of the logging firm was there so i asked him about said truck. Apparently it was hossing along a very straight country road and a little micra turned onto the road and he drove straight over it and truck careened into a field.Driver got out and just wandered around in a daze for ages till someone found the micra etc

Aye I’ve witnessed this when I’m up there touring on the bike. They obviously know the roads like the back of their hands which you would think make them aware of the potential nastiness in some spots. But no lol.

the maoster:
As a rule (and something I discussed with Robroy yesterday) if the guy hurtling towards you has steel mirror guards you really need to keep out of his way , because as sure as eggs is eggs he ain’t gonna keep out of yours .

That’s a good general rule. Never thought of that before!
Always learning new tricks on here :slight_smile:

m.a.n rules:
i dont imagine those bloody great mirrors on coaches make those sort of journeys easy yt… :open_mouth:

In actual fact, the most difficult part of converting from a lorry to a coach is the mirrors. They protrude forward aprox 3 ft of your front end adding to your swing, I admit to having some very close encounters getting used to them, that and the additional overall length of the rear overhang of a triaxle coach can give rise to some hairaising moments in tight coach parks and roads.

robroy:
Usual crack mate

They must be on crack the way they drive mate.

Yorkshire Tramper:

m.a.n rules:

In actual fact, the most difficult part of converting from a lorry to a coach is the mirrors. They protrude forward aprox 3 ft of your front end adding to your swing, I admit to having some very close encounters getting used to them, that and the additional overall length of the rear overhang of a triaxle coach can give rise to some hairaising moments in tight coach parks and roads.

Glad you and your coach made it back in one piece! These roads can be a little daunting especially if you don’t drive on them much.
I must say I am surprised you say the mirrors take a bit of getting used to. Suppose it depends on the type fitted though. Some drivers new to coaches after driving lorries find the steering axle being behind them as opposed to directly below them took a little getting used to.

jakethesnake:
Glad you and your coach made it back in one piece! These roads can be a little daunting especially if you don’t drive on them much.
I must say I am surprised you say the mirrors take a bit of getting used to. Suppose it depends on the type fitted though. Some drivers new to coaches after driving lorries find the steering axle being behind them as opposed to directly below them took a little getting used to.

The mirrors are so far forward and set slightly outward in comparison to a lorry’s side mirrors that it takes some concentration not to forget to look out for them when turning against sides of buildings etc. Also on the triaxle coaches it isnt just the steering front axle that is a little tricky but the rear steer on them can quickly catch you out.

A tri axle coach?

Yorkshire Tramper:
Just returned from a 5 day tour of the western Highlands, Oban. Fort William and Glencoe. The road conditions were treacherous with heavy rain fallen leaves scattering the roads and mud on the roads coupled up with hairpin type bends (blind bends) etc. The roads were quite narrow in sections and all conditions called for careful driving in order to be safe. Now the cars were not so much of a problem but the loggers were hurtling around blind bends taking up more than their fair share of the road. To the point where I was nearly touching the sides of them when passing either side. The risks they take on some stretches of road were questionable. Not skilled driving but bordering dangerous. Are these loggers on bonus work or something? They dont give an inch up or slow down when approaching them. Mindless and crazy springs to mind.

That’s my part of the planet, and I am an occasional logger. There are a handful of idiots, but they exist in every sphere of every aspect of life. Most of us are experienced and considerate, and move, collectively, tens of thousands of tons every week, some of this on extremely challenging roads, both in and out of forest environments.
In my nearly 50 years on the road, I cannot think that I ever remember of an accident between a logger and a coach, and I have to say that this has not been because of the superior skill of the coach drivers, particularly touring coaches. It is my experience that many coach drivers are very greedy regarding their share of those narrow carriageway, almost as though they know that the lorry driver will do whatever he has to do to avoid contact with a coach, and the attendant consequences. The regular long distance service coaches, City link etc, with drivers experienced on these roads, seldom have difficulty with the traffic, and tend to be every bit as flat to the mat as the lorries.
Keep at it, and I’m sure you’ll get the hang of it, and learn to appreciate our beautiful part of the world, and no longer feel the need to post such a big girls flounce.
As that great, late, Scòtsman, Colin MacRae said “If in doubt, flat out”

^^^^^^^^
I suppose it’s like everything else in this job, the bad ones stand out, with their antics, so determine the perception and the reputation, and the good ones (who are more than likely in the majority) go unnoticed.
That is why truck drivers in general have bad pr with the public…the d/head contingent spoil it for the rest of us. :bulb:

md1987:
A tri axle coach?

Reading the above posts highlights a problem that most don’t completely understand.(nor do I) The only reason it stands out to me is because of my involvement in training.

We have two drivers, one thinks these loggers drive like lunatics and another is defending them. Of course it is correct that we have idiots in every walk of life but the problem a lot of the time is the idiots don’t think or know they are idiots. In their minds they are very good competent drivers (and probably most are) and obviously the odd few that know they are being *wats but don’t care.

I have driven on these roads many times although not recently and I can see both sides of the coin. There are a lot of tourists on these roads during the summer months and speaking to some of them they also think some lorries drive far too fast. These roads were not built and are not suitable for modern traffic and everything is fine most of the time. Unfortunately though sometimes thing go wrong and people get hurt.

My point is in a lot of cases complacency sets in and drivers perceptions change. Give YT a couple of years on these roads and he may possibly be driving like the loggers.
We have drivers that like to take it easy and enjoy the scenery then we have the budding Lewis Hamiltons who treat the road as a track. The two don’t mix especially when
something out of the ordinary happens.

And that is the problem we have■■?

And don’t mention City Link drivers, some of them are complete lunatics throwing their buses round like a dodgem car which shows how modern lorries and buses can be driven like a big car. :imp: Oh and forgot to mention the tailgating of cars. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

md1987:
A tri axle coach?

One at the front and 2 at the rear. I too struggled to remember seeing 3 at the back like a trailer.