Crazy Loggers

Old John:
That’s my part of the planet, and I am an occasional logger. There are a handful of idiots, but they exist in every sphere of every aspect of life. Most of us are experienced and considerate,
As that great, late, Scòtsman, Colin MacRae said “If in doubt, flat out”

Colin MacRae is a rally driver in a prepared rally car with no ordinary traffic on the roads so how you relate that to a logger driver is exactly the problem encountered. It is a mentality of believing that you need to drive a lorry in a fashion that you believe is safe in your own head and that anyone who disagrees with slowing down is either inexperienced or is somehow throwing a sissy flounce. I am sure that there are some very capable logger drivers around who are not chancers and relying on others to move out of their way. I am experienced enough driving class 1 lorries to know the difference. Knowing the roads is one thing but driving like a lunatic not knowing what is coming around a blind bend on a narrow road is irresponsible, the odd fact of that there has never been a case of a logger driver ever hitting a coach is probably due to the fact that the coach drivers are in a position to move into a safe zone out of their way rather than the logger drivers ability to avoid a collision. I have been driving coach tours all over the country for 3 months now driving around areas such as the lakes with tighter roads where the hgv drivers give more courtesy and are obviously used to those roads. I did indeed encounter some loggers in that category in Scotland, it was a rarety though as the majority just don’t give a dam for anyone else on the road.Speaking with some locals also who described the driving antics of some of the loggers as a menace. Your own description of “if in doubt flat it out” is not big and not clever and certainy is not a good driving analogy. Bad driving does not require defending.

jakethesnake:
My point is in a lot of cases complacency sets in and drivers perceptions change. Give YT a couple of years on these roads and he may possibly be driving like the loggers.

Why would I drive like that in a couple of years?? You say you had been involved with training other drivers taking passengers? Yet you think it is acceptable to drive like a lunatic once complancency sets in. Very odd indeed. You do tend to say some very odd things that are contradictory. Such as surprised by how coach mirrors can be a problem.

md1987:
A tri axle coach?

Yes?

Like many drivers on regular day in day out runs they get complacent. Loggers pretty much the same as the slate quarry drivers who years ago ran on the west coast of Wales. I nearly crapped myself the first time I came across them.

Yorkshire Tramper:

jakethesnake:
My point is in a lot of cases complacency sets in and drivers perceptions change. Give YT a couple of years on these roads and he may possibly be driving like the loggers.

Why would I drive like that in a couple of years?? You say you had been involved with training other drivers taking passengers? Yet you think it is acceptable to drive like a lunatic once complancency sets in. Very odd indeed. You do tend to say some very odd things that are contradictory. Such as surprised by how coach mirrors can be a problem.

That’s because the snake is a fake he knows nothing but thinks he knows everything claims to have done it all but cannot back it up with any facts or evidence
I caught him out so many times I’ve lost count
Could be a long lost cousin of carryfast

“Familiarity breeds contempt.” Is that the expression ?

How much…

To replace the windscreen in that window-lickers house of fun?

As part of my job (and partly the reason I took the job ) I spend a lot of time up in Scotland . Logging trucks are a regluar sight and I have the greatest respect for them , heading off the road into a forest in the middle of winter to collect logs is not a job for the faint hearted I’ve had to go into the woods on a good day to deliver and collect stuff the thought of doing it with freezing temperatures and 6-8 inches of snow on the ground would make me run a mile in the other direction . To be able to do that on a regluar basis and bring the lorry back unharmed gets my respect, wagons and drag trailers with a high center of gravity load on are never going to be as stable on the road so if your in their neck of the woods (so to speak ) I tend to give them as much room as possible , if your on roads that are regular log runs be prepared to stop and give them a bit of room .

beefy4605:
As part of my job (and partly the reason I took the job ) I spend a lot of time up in Scotland . Logging trucks are a regluar sight and I have the greatest respect for them , heading off the road into a forest in the middle of winter to collect logs is not a job for the faint hearted I’ve had to go into the woods on a good day to deliver and collect stuff the thought of doing it with freezing temperatures and 6-8 inches of snow on the ground would make me run a mile in the other direction . To be able to do that on a regluar basis and bring the lorry back unharmed gets my respect, wagons and drag trailers with a high center of gravity load on are never going to be as stable on the road so if your in their neck of the woods (so to speak ) I tend to give them as much room as possible , if your on roads that are regular log runs be prepared to stop and give them a bit of room .

I too respect the difficult work done by loggers.
But
Im not so sure I agree with some of your other comments. If their vehicles are less stable because they have a high, heavy, load, then they should drive them accordingly. Not expect to drive the same speed as a "normal" truck, and take more road. They should *need, and take* no more room than anyone else. When we all learnt to drive trucks werent we told not to use our big vehicles as bully-boys?
We cant say to car drivers "out the way, Im bigger". Loggers can`t say that to us.

In my car I do give more room to trucks than they may need.
In my truck I do give more room to other heavier vehicles.

It isn`t up to them to take it from me.

Yorkshire Tramper:

jakethesnake:

Because that’s what some do, they pass a test, have no confidence, gain confidence which sometimes becomes over confidence and that’s when things can go wrong.
Have you heard of the Dunning Kruger effect? Look it up. Maybe you are different, maybe you drive like an old granny and always will but we are all different and perceive everything differently.

Mirrors on coaches and trucks have vastly improved over the years and have become far more streamlined. Maybe more blinds pots but in general far better vision.
I first drove a coach nearly 40 years ago and have never had a problem with mirrors on any vehicle. Different mirrors in different places but a day or two and you adapt.
Mirrors used to stick out a lot more but I though you would have known that.

You come across as relatively inexperienced but I may be wrong. Never heard a lorry or coach driver mention a tri axle coach. :wink:

Franglais:

beefy4605:

I too respect the difficult work done by loggers.
But
Im not so sure I agree with some of your other comments. If their vehicles are less stable because they have a high, heavy, load, then they should drive them accordingly. Not expect to drive the same speed as a "normal" truck, and take more road. They should *need, and take* no more room than anyone else. When we all learnt to drive trucks werent we told not to use our big vehicles as bully-boys?
We cant say to car drivers "out the way, Im bigger". Loggers can`t say that to us.

In my car I do give more room to trucks than they may need.
In my truck I do give more room to other heavier vehicles.

It isn`t up to them to take it from me.

Spot on as usual Franglais.

jakethesnake:
Spot on as usual Franglais.

Even if I was, I certainly would not claim it for myself.

(I have read Dunning’/Kruger)

jakethesnake:

You come across as relatively inexperienced but I may be wrong. Never heard a lorry or coach driver mention a tri axle coach. :wink:

Funny that because you come accross as knowing nothing about what you post. Also a triaxle coach drives very differently to a normal coach but then I suppose you knew that too. :confused:

Yorkshire Tramper:

jakethesnake:

Funny that because you come accross as knowing nothing about what you post. Also a triaxle coach drives very differently to a normal coach but then I suppose you knew that too. :confused:

Jeez, what’s the matter with you? Would you care to elaborate please? If I have posted something that is wrong please have the decency to point it out.

Did I say anything about driving “triaxle” coach as you call it■■? No I did not. As it happens I haven’t driven one but I have had plenty experience with long rigids and tail swing. I presume it’s similar or is your one so much more difficult?

jakethesnake:

Yorkshire Tramper:

jakethesnake:

Jeez, what’s the matter with you? Would you care to elaborate please? If I have posted something that is wrong please have the decency to point it out.

Did I say anything about driving “triaxle” coach as you call it■■? No I did not. As it happens I haven’t driven one but I have had plenty experience with long rigids and tail swing. I presume it’s similar or is your one so much more difficult?

A triaxle coach has rear steer and is longer than a standard coach to accomadate the extra seating and room required, the coach drives completely different to a normal coach and extra care is needed as it turns much quicker in tight spaces and has the additional length overhang at the back which catches a lot of coach drivers out when they first drive a tri. Luckily most of our coaches are triaxle so I have got used to them but if you jump into one having driven a standard two axle coach then you will notice the difference immediately. Some coach drivers do not like them because of the size and handling characteristics. I prefer them because I have experience driving triaxle low loaders with rear steer so they are very similar.

Yorkshire Tramper:

jakethesnake:

Yorkshire Tramper:

jakethesnake:

A triaxle coach has rear steer and is longer than a standard coach to accomadate the extra seating and room required, the coach drives completely different to a normal coach and extra care is needed as it turns much quicker in tight spaces and has the additional length overhang at the back which catches a lot of coach drivers out when they first drive a tri. Luckily most of our coaches are triaxle so I have got used to them but if you jump into one having driven a standard two axle coach then you will notice the difference immediately. Some coach drivers do not like them because of the size and handling characteristics. I prefer them because I have experience driving triaxle low loaders with rear steer so they are very similar.

I understand completely. Like most things they are much easier with a little practice.

jakethesnake:
I understand completely. Like most things they are much easier with a little practice.

Exactly, they are just different to drive. Same as the coach mirrors, when driving a lorry you get used to looking left and right into the mirrors as you are reversing or going forward into a tight area.
In a coach you have to look forwards and upwards, you get used to looking at your bumper when in tight areas and then you look up at your mirrors you can be milimeters from hitting something as you didnt take into account the additional few feet in front that they protrude. It isn’t difficult but it does take some getting used to. Moving forward into tight spaces you tend not to look into your mirrors, difficult to explain but they are easy to hit something when new to them.

Yorkshire Tramper:

jakethesnake:

Exactly, they are just different to drive. Same as the coach mirrors, when driving a lorry you get used to looking left and right into the mirrors as you are reversing or going forward into a tight area.
In a coach you have to look forwards and upwards, you get used to looking at your bumper when in tight areas and then you look up at your mirrors you can be milimeters from hitting something as you didnt take into account the additional few feet in front that they protrude. It isn’t difficult but it does take some getting used to. Moving forward into tight spaces you tend not to look into your mirrors, difficult to explain but they are easy to hit something when new to them.

I reckon the biggest challenge to me would be coming off something that bends in the middle after all these years, to something that doesn’t. :neutral_face:

Screenshot (36).jpg

I’ve seen quite a few Lorries and vans/cars collide at this narrow point just north of Ardlui (and the other one close by) with varying degrees of destruction!

Like most roads, just need to respect them while traversing them.

stu675:

md1987:
A tri axle coach?

One at the front and 2 at the rear. I too struggled to remember seeing 3 at the back like a trailer.

Aye my misunderstanding. Didn’t include the front axle lol