Crash ITV

Programme just started. Maybe these wagon drivers up everybody’s arse should take note.

eagerbeaver:
Programme just started. Maybe these wagon drivers up everybody’s arse should take note.

Driving along my local rural route today, throwing it down cats and dogs, 8 leg tipper buried up the arse of a clio driven by a blue rinse. Ok she was doing 38.74 MPH…but with no room to overtake, clearly a cautious Mrs Magoo in a mint V plate in front, sitting 6 inches off her 1mm bit of plastic bumper in monsoon conditions isn’t going to get anyone anywhere fast.

Apart from me. Plenty of room for me to pass. I did feel a little sympathy for Mr Tip. :grimacing:

Just outside of Elgin today a loadall doing about 15 mph was going to join the A96 followed by a woman in her car then me, don’t know how she managed not to stop but she ran into the back of the loadall, no damage to it apart from scratched paint but there was not a lot left of the front of her car !

Just finished watching that crash on the bridge. Visibility was down to feet in thick fog. 100 plus vehicles involved and when the police went through all of the mechanical evidence, ecu’s and jammed speedos they found people driving in thick fog, no lights on, at speeds of up to 60. Wonder no one was killed

There seems to be an increase in trucks hitting other trucks too.

I joined the M6 South yesterday from the M56, and was immediately sat in traffic. Northbound had no vehicles on it apart from a car transporter with car derived vans on it (either United Utilities or British Gas from memory), and the rear two vehicles were damaged.

Rather inevitably after a few minutes of crawling along, the mangled remains of a Ewals artic appeared on the other side.

eagerbeaver:

I joined the M6 South yesterday from the M56, and was immediately sat in traffic. Northbound had no vehicles on it apart from a car transporter with car derived vans on it (either United Utilities or British Gas from memory), and the rear two vehicles were damaged.

Rather inevitably after a few minutes of crawling along, the mangled remains of a Ewals artic appeared on the other side.

Driving down the M40 tonight and quite a few cars driving in the dark with no tail lights. Front lights were on and the dash was lit. Seems these day running lights are making drivers think their lights are on when they’re not.

Note: quoted wrong post!

Guilty of the above. First happened when I dropped my mate off from another friends place, literally just round the corner. Guy came out of the local pub and starting what I thought was waving because I figured he was drunk so I just waved back. Got to his house about a minute later, looked down at the dash… Oh zb! Didn’t have my lights on!

Second and hopefully last time was at Beaconsfield services, 5am back in the winter. Did all my checks but for some reason turned my lights back to only side lights. Must of done that not to wake up the guy opposite me. Left the services, out around the roundabout onto the M40. Only when the street lights dissapeered did I realise that I didn’t have my lights on.

If the intention was to make an impact regards driving standards the programme should have used this case as an example. :frowning:

open.ac.uk/Arts/history-from … Rta84.html

Missed the start of this, but I remember high praise at the time for hero lorry driver saving lives by blocking the road ahead of the bridge. There was not word one about him in the last 45 minutes.

Captain Caveman 76:
Front lights were on and the dash was lit. Seems these day running lights are making drivers think their lights are on when they’re not.

It’s the independent dash lighting which seems to be the problem.I think if you’re an older driver used to dash lights being linked to the lights it’s a very easy mistake to make in well lit areas.It would be safer to make it law that dash lights have to be linked to the lights.

Carryfast:

Captain Caveman 76:
Front lights were on and the dash was lit. Seems these day running lights are making drivers think their lights are on when they’re not.

It’s the independent dash lighting which seems to be the problem.I think if you’re an older driver used to dash lights being linked to the lights it’s a very easy mistake to make in well lit areas.It would be safer to make it law that dash lights have to be linked to the lights.

Better still, outlaw daytime-running-lights, hideous idea.

The other problem I have noticed with these clowns who drive around at night with only their DRLs on is how blinding they are for other road users, very intense light, as blinding as people who forget to dip.

bigchief:
Just finished watching that crash on the bridge. Visibility was down to feet in thick fog. 100 plus vehicles involved and when the police went through all of the mechanical evidence, ecu’s and jammed speedos they found people driving in thick fog, no lights on, at speeds of up to 60. Wonder no one was killed

Saw it today. Raining sideways, one or two with zero lights on. I think it should be a law to have lights on all the time, like it is in a lot of EU countries. I can’t switch the lights off on my motorbike BECAUSE IT MAKES ME MORE VISIBLE!!!

Carryfast:

Captain Caveman 76:

My car is like that. As soon as it gets to dusk my speedo is almost invisible. It only gets backlit when I put my lights on which is the best design

Too many idiots out there think the lights are for seeing, not being seen!

htmldude:
Saw it today. Raining sideways, one or two with zero lights on. I think it should be a law to have lights on all the time, like it is in a lot of EU countries. I can’t switch the lights off on my motorbike BECAUSE IT MAKES ME MORE VISIBLE!!!

But the advantage motor bikes once enjoyed in being more visible by using lights during the day is now lost with cars running intense DRLs. It is just more and more mindless EU rules that have the unwanted side affect of making the roads more dangerous for the more vulnerable road users.

But back to the accident on the bridge; better bigger brighter lights would not have prevented that accident, the main factor was not the thick fog but the thick drivers for not slowing down to a pace where they would have control over their own destiny. It actually amazes me that we don’t have more accidents like this, the amount of numpties we see daily driving nose to tail whilst faffing about with their mobiles phones is jaw dropping.

I don’t think DRL’s have anything to do with the EU as you can still buy brand new cars without them. Bought the Mrs a new Kia Venga last September and that hasn’t got them.

You are spot on there Bluey!

Surely we have the technology nowadays to disable texting whilst your car is moving?

its the same with auto lights people really are that stupid that in fog but its bright they don’t have the common sense to turn the lights on - the computer will see it as bright so wont kick them on auto.

eagerbeaver:

A lot of this is due to the new compulsory AEBS systems fitted to new trucks since last September.

It reacts quicker than you so tail gate at your own peril! Or end up on the one in fronts’ load space!

I think that these daytime running lights are that common now that they no longer ‘stand out in the crowd’ like they did a few years ago when only Volvo etc fitted them. A bit like H&S vests, now that every Tom, ■■■■ and Harry (plus every schoolkid) wears one they just blend in with everyday life.

Pete.

fredthered:

eagerbeaver:

A lot of this is due to the new compulsory AEBS systems fitted to new trucks since last September.

It reacts quicker than you so tail gate at your own peril! Or end up on the one in fronts’ load space!

I got a false alarm on the AEBS system last month, nearly ZB myself, loud buzzer, Red all over the dash and luckily it went off instead of jamming the brakes on.

I had just gone under a bridge over the motorway in the dark :unamused: