Crap set up. what do i do?

I have a a low rider mega trailer with a 2 meter over hang at the back with a 2 and a half ton moffatt thats hanging on. NOT GOOD !!! its got no counter balance weight any were on the trailer.the company i work for has put small tires on it on the tractor, since i started i have put a lower 5th wheel on and lowered the suspension. it all fits together ok but when the moffatt is on its uncontrolable as you can guess. i have to pump the suspension right up on the trailer to so stop the moffatt hitting the ground. you can actually see the trailer bending. the tractor spins every were shredding the tyres. also it will not drive in a straight line it snakes all out the road. the moffatt trys to come round you every time you try change line or breaking. i am so fed up with it the company i work for they could not give a [zb] . they do not hold a class one licence so they have not got a clue what i feels like on the road. i have had a few scares in it but not wrote it off YET!
there are lots of other problems with it but the list is to long.i am on good money, no nights out, and it round the corner from were i live, i love the job but i cant keep driving this vehicle. its a death trap.
what do i do■■? any one got any ideas i have ran out.

if it needs stars to get past the auto censor that’s the clue it’s not allowed…Denis F

Does it get any better when loaded because from my reading of your original post it seems as though you run empty a lot of the time?

What do you usually carry (cargo and weight may be of use though I’m guessing building materials) and what has been the response when you mention these difficulties to your TM? Another thought what are the axle loadings when empty?

ya its not to bad loaded but my load is no more than 6 ton its all light weight stuff. i i have i 1 ton water ■■■■ at the front to keep it down it dus help. but is not safe pumping the suspension up. etc. i know how to cure it but they just will not listen at all. i am ready to leave. neva driven anything like it in my life

LEE EDWARDS:
I i cant keep driving this vehicle. its a death trap.

If it’s a death trap why do you continue to drive it? it’s not just your life at risk.

Get another job, no job is worth risking life and limb.

Fastrantiger:

LEE EDWARDS:
I i cant keep driving this vehicle. its a death trap.

If it’s a death trap why do you continue to drive it? it’s not just your life at risk.

Get another job, no job is worth risking life and limb.

Fastrantiger has pretty much said what most people wil be thinking I’m afraid. :unamused:

You drive this truck everyday and you have listed the faults that it has. No advice from anyone could improve the ride quality of this vehicle as it sounds totally undriveable and a potential fatal accident waiting to happen.

For the sake of your loved ones and mine that could be in the wrong place at the wrong time as you come around a bend, refuse to drive this vehicle or leave.

The advice is that simple. :exclamation:

thanks for your replies, you are all saying the same as i have said. i am trying so hard to sort it out at work to improve the vehicle. been honest i need complete new setup. we really need a step trailer with moffatt and a normal std unit. if the problem dus not get sorted asap, well i think i will take ya advise and leave. but know one will put up with the way it drives so the next person will have the same problem. they will not learn!!! lets see what they say tomorrow i will keep you all posted. thanks again 4 all coments :smiley:

pumping the air up on the trailer would compound the problem of having a forklift on your back end ,and increase the chances of you jacknifeing considerably.

would suggest you go to work tomorrow ,put the trailer suspension on self center ,
if its as bad as you say with the ground clearance . you wont get out the yard
then the boss would have to do something
you cannot continue to run about with the air up on an empty trailer
you will come a cropper .
crimminal charges jail is it worth it :question:

As has been said already go to work tomorrow and “REFUSE TO DRIVE SAID OUTFIT ON THE ROAD” as they are taking you for a mug as “YOU” are the one who will end up in court and lose your licence or worse still end up in jail on manslughter charges if you are involved in an accident.

It shows what the firm think of you when they keep sending you out in a vehicle that is blatantly dangerous as you the driver are the one who is LEGALLY responsible for the vehicle on the road and it is YOUR livelihood that you are risking as if you lose your licence they will just get a replacement driver to fill your job.

Is any job worth risking your living and your freedom for I think not.

like i say you are all dam right in what your saying. its one big joke. the thing is its the only truck we have its a small buisness and i am the only class 1 driver. i know lifes can be at risk driving this bag of s**t. i will try get some pic’s of it so ya can all look at it. se what i can do tommorrow. i asked them today what they are doing about it and they said don bur are coming out to have a look at it but not sure what they are going to do apart from lower the unit more, but then i will not be able to get on building site. as i tip every day on them!!! they trailer dus not even sit level with the unit. at just keeps getting worse i could be here all night explaing this to every one.so like i said i will try get some pics of this crazy set up.,has any one else eva had this type of problem?

NEJ:
As has been said already go to work tomorrow and “REFUSE TO DRIVE SAID OUTFIT ON THE ROAD” as they are taking you for a mug as “YOU” are the one who will end up in court and lose your licence or worse still end up in jail on manslughter charges if you are involved in an accident.

It shows what the firm think of you when they keep sending you out in a vehicle that is blatantly dangerous as you the driver are the one who is LEGALLY responsible for the vehicle on the road and it is YOUR livelihood that you are risking as if you lose your licence they will just get a replacement driver to fill your job.

Is any job worth risking your living and your freedom for I think not.

you need to take your gaffer out for a ride in the truck then suggest putting at least 2 ibcs /concrete blocks something to compensate for the weight of the moffet it will help as for the ground clearance have you tried shortening the securing chains (try shortening it by 1 link ) it will lift the back of the moffet a wee bit more :smiley:

the firm i used to work for had about a 1 and a half tons of flat bar welded into the head board it sorted the ride out no problem a hope this help’s

any one know any jobs going■■?

At least they seem to be trying to work with you on sorting out the problems although not quite as quickly as you would like, leaving may not be the answer they could easily drop some agency or less qualified driver in that rig and that person could end up killing someone maybe even you.

Is there any private land locally you could take your gaffer to show him how bad it is ?

Work with him and you might actually stop someone getting killed.

any pictures of it mate■■?

i still drive the vehicle cus its the only one we have. but my boss said he is trying to sort it out months ago. but mean while i will have to keep driving it till its fix’t. but it needs doing asap. i went work to day and nothing was said about sorting it out. will get some pictures tommorrow!!!

LEE EDWARDS:
mean while i will have to keep driving it till its fix’t.

No you dont Lee, it’s unsafe. It’s your life on the line here. Fill in a defect form with the noted defects, you cannot be sacked for refusing to drive a dangerous vehicle.

i went work to day and nothing was said about sorting it out.

So if I’m out on the road tomorrow and you kill me, that’s ok is it? not your fault you’re driving a dangerous vehicle? I dont think so Lee.

put a couple of heavy pallets on the front and tell your boss they will stay there until he sorts the truck out, he will loose load space and have stock riding around for nothing, that might make the truck stable and give him an insentive to sort it out, or when you leave the yard with a load, do it all and when it is empty phone the boss and say it is too dangerouse to drive back to the yard and you are going to leave the mounty to get the truck back safely, let him know you are recording your call…see what he says

Seems to me that couple of Jumbo bags of Ballast at the front of the trailer, on pallets if necessary to facilitate shifting with the mounty, would be your answer and wouldn, cost more than £60.

If your boss won’t go for a £60 temporary fix then you need to ask if your conscience can deal with an accident and the consequences

You definitely need to get some sort of ballast on the front before you leave on your next trip, either that or refuse to go or warn them that you won’t return with the Mounty.

I have never had a Mounty (I wonder how many Canucks can honestly say that :confused: ), so how do others cope with what to me seems like an obvious problem?

LEE EDWARDS:
i still drive the vehicle cus its the only one we have.

Its the only 1 your boss has, your just the muggins who gets paid to take it out.
Remember if your boss won`t fix it, your free to walk away … most likely with your life and licence intact

Spardo:
You definitely need to get some sort of ballast on the front before you leave on your next trip, either that or refuse to go or warn them that you won’t return with the Mounty.

I have never had a Mounty (I wonder how many Canucks can honestly say that :confused: ), so how do others cope with what to me seems like an obvious problem?

I’ve only run with a Mounty for one company, so others may know better. My understanding was that there was about 2 tons of ballast on the front and that the trailers were built to carry a Mounty from the outset and not modified to carry a Mounty. Unladen weight for the 4 wheel unit, 15 foot high 13.5 metre step deck with Mounty on board was 20 tons, so there must have been a fair bit of ballast somewhere. The company still lost one when it began to wag its tail and threw it off the motorway within seconds of the wiggle starting.