Crap Money?

indeed.co.uk/m/viewjob?jk=86 … &from=serp
Class 1 driver £80 per day? Bit crap isn’t it?

Theyl be someone who will take it though

Yes £80 thats the basic (and no doubt holiday pay), the 20% of lorry earnings (whichever is greater) should earn you a decent wage, more than the £500 they state in the ad. i’d have thought.
My first artic job was 25% of the lorry earnings, about the best paid general haulage in the district at the time, but by hell didn’t you get a ropey motor, hence the pay.

Muckaway:

Thats what I earn picking carrots

Juddian:
25% of the lorry earnings.

How do/did you know exactly what the vehicle earned?

You don’t, you just rely on their honesty :laughing: :laughing:

Crap money usually gets disguised by sleight-of-hand to look better than it is. If the process of working out one’s pay “looks complicated” - then you can bet your boots that it’s gonna end up being crap, with the “optimum earnings potential” somehow never being possible to achieve…

Compare that to what SHOULD be a complicated bonus structure - in the City for example - where one’s Christmas bonus boils down to (1) How much did YOU make for the bank, less how much your COLLEAGUES blew of it…

“Loners” are not rewarded in the city. Loners that make huge profits often find themselves getting paltry bonus payments because their colleagues can’t keep up. Loners can also screw things up completely when given access to the “watchers” of the back offices, as did Nick Leeson some years ago now. It doesn’t get you a bonus at your bank if 29 out of 30 traders all make a million each for the bank - and trader 30 blows over £700m in a matter of days…

How many yards out there have a “group bonus” where drivers are encouraged to look out for their colleagues, lest they “let the side down” for the bonus? What are the bonus payments based on come to that? Fleetboard ■■■■■■■■? Get some idiot fall off his bike in front of you - and your emergency stop blows your bonus? Get a stop-start run and there goes your fuel bonus? Get a tramping job with backloads miles away from your drop - “no pay when wheels aren’t turning my son”…

I reckon a better bonus would be based on (1) How much it has cost the firm to employ you this year subtracted from (2) how much the firm made as a whole this year.

THAT way, you’d get a good amount for looking after your kit - paid every year the company doesn’t lose money. Getting stuck in traffic will iron out over the year, and because the pool is based on company profits as a whole - getting a bum duty won’t penalize you from getting the same bonus as “God Driver” who merely happens to have a cushier duty than yours otherwise. :bulb:

Juddian:
Yes £80 thats the basic (and no doubt holiday pay), the 20% of lorry earnings (whichever is greater) should earn you a decent wage, more than the £500 they state in the ad. i’d have thought.
My first artic job was 25% of the lorry earnings, about the best paid general haulage in the district at the time, but by hell didn’t you get a ropey motor, hence the pay.

I’m not a sales rep so I’d rather have a guaranteed hourly wage. I’m not responsible for truck earnings, profit/loss etc so I don’t want to be paid some dreamt up amount. I had that as a pilot for the Red Arrows; A bonus that you had no idea how it was worked out.

Performance related pay on a tipper job. What could possibly go wrong?

:unamused:

Small family firm is a major plus point. Look at the big picture guys.

Well unless the family is a bit dodgy, like mine.

the nodding donkey:

Nothing should go wrong if ground rules are applied. I was on earnings for years (27% on a six wheeled tipper) BUT i had a rate sheet for every quarry, job etc I worked from and worked my own wages out daily. If my figures were higher than the gaffer’s workings out he paid me on my figures, however if you haven’t a clue what the rate per load is then it is all down to trust I’m afraid.

Pete.

the nodding donkey:

Trouble is, “Performance” shouldn’t be measured on one’s ability to overtake two-abreast TNT wagons already going around the roundabout you’re about to negotiate…

“Getting back early” doesn’t save the company any money. It actually costs less for the wagon to do 100 miles in 2 hours than it does for the same trip in ten minutes less…

Winseer:

the nodding donkey:

Trouble is, “Performance” shouldn’t be measured on one’s ability to overtake two-abreast TNT wagons already going around the roundabout you’re about to negotiate…

“Getting back early” doesn’t save the company any money. It actually costs less for the wagon to do 100 miles in 2 hours than it does for the same trip in ten minutes less…

I hope that’s a motorway trip you are talking about… :open_mouth:

So that means if your sat in traffic all day, your truck breaks down or your boss hasnt got much work on you aint getting payed. No thanks

Pimpdaddy:

Muckaway:

Thats what I earn picking carrots

What daily hrs is that,
hardly for 8hrs??
Net tax or gross??

Hard graft as not much chance of a nice cab heater or have a kip on a bay with night-heater on full pelt!!![emoji12]

Juddian:

I was on the same 25%…knackered old wreck,mega wages for the time,and no sleep…kinda good with the bad…

dieseldog999:

Juddian:

I was on the same 25%…knackered old wreck,mega wages for the time,and no sleep…kinda good with the bad…

Guess you probably spent twice as much on Tacho disc’s as the average driver as well…

Big Truck:
What daily hrs is that,
hardly for 8hrs??
Net tax or gross??

Hard graft as not much chance of a nice cab heater or have a kip on a bay with night-heater on full pelt!!![emoji12]

Gross. £10/hour, 8 hours a day with a bit of overtime here & there.
I go to work dressed accordingly.

Evil8Beezle:

dieseldog999:

Juddian:

Guess you probably spent twice as much on Tacho disc’s as the average driver as well…

Log book, not the lines through the hours list either, the from/to written times…bugger me i’m old… :open_mouth:
No fiddling either, no i mean that, 12.5 hour day max, then we got clever took on EU hours to work safer and got 15 hour days, that’s progress for ya.

Lidl pay more for stacking shelves

“Earn between £8.25 - £9.50 per hour (outside the M25) and between £9.40 - £10.45 (inside the M25)”

careers.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/caree … /index.htm

Evil8Beezle:

dieseldog999:

Juddian:

3 logbooks to start with…1 for days,1 for nights,and 1 for miscellaneous when I couldn’t wangle the other 2…analogues are a doddle thanks to mr wire and the " must make the boat button",and digis arnt so easy without the magnet or a grand a truck to make them user friendly…if someone makes it,then a paddy can break it…being originally from Glasgow then I have no probs with that logic and still like to cowboy my way through life best I can…having a address in uk,and another one in eire helps a bit though,plus I live in n.i so theres a bit of room to duck and dive here.oohhhh the joys in the land that time forgot… :smiley: