Crankshaft gone

Hi all,

Been told today by a garage mechanic that the crankshaft has gone on one of our 26t trucks. Can anyone tell me what this means? I know nothing about engines! :blush:
Cheers!!

Driv3r:
Hi all,

Been told today by a garage mechanic that the crankshaft has gone on one of our 26t trucks. Can anyone tell me what this means? I know nothing about engines! :blush:
Cheers!!

its ■■■■■■ that wat it means

It means it’s expensive!

Driv3r:
Hi all,

Cheers!!

If the crank has gone, it is terminal. Does he mean it has been stolen, or just misplaced?

Does the engine still run, quite possible with a broken crank.

How has the mechanic diagnosed it? by ear or over the telephone. Maybe he has taken the sump off

In your engine there are either six or eight up and downy things which are connected by rods to a roundy-roundy thing.

Burning diesel forces the up and downy things to spin the roundy-roundy thing, which turns the wheels via the gearbox. Think how a cyclists legs go up and down and turn the pedals round and round, and you’ll get the idea (but don’t think of Victoria Pembleton standard.co.uk/olympics/olym … 42468.html , or you might get a series of other ideas).

The roundy-roundy thing is worn out.

It won’t be cheap to fix that’s all you need to know. :laughing:

Wheel Nut:

Driv3r:
Hi all,

Cheers!!

Does the engine still run, quite possible with a broken crank.

It might put the timing a bit out though when numbers 1,2 and 3 are no longer connected together with numbers 6,5 and 4 assuming it’s snapped in half. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like its gonna be a major job then. The engine was making a very loud banging noise as it was being revved. Oh well, my boss will do his nut tomorrow then when he finds out!

A picture of Victoria Pembleton will cheer him up.

there seem to be loads on the net for some reason.

NB other keen female cyclists are available (no, that’s not what I meant) but Clare Balding doesn’t have quite the same appeal for us chaps.

Driv3r:
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like its gonna be a major job then. The engine was making a very loud banging noise as it was being revved. Oh well, my boss will do his nut tomorrow then when he finds out!

Sounds like the big end bearings and journals.That’s why oil pressure gauges are important as they can mean the difference between catching the problem early enough before a lot of damage is done to the bottom end. :bulb:

She’s feked. Get a coffee and a newspaper.

Get 'em to shot a set of shells in and crack on drive :laughing:

Driv3r:

that sound’s like the crankshaft bearing’s are ■■■■■■, to get it fixed, the crank’s need’s to be reground*, and new bearing on all of the support bearing’s and conrod bearing’s. this could get expensive as it’s all going to be genuine part’s

• if salvagable, i.e not too badly scored. it is put on a lathe and is bought in to tollerance for the new bearing’s. if it not salvagable it’s a new crank needed, and by that point a 2nd hand engine is the best route

if the engine is repaired, it does need a close eye keeping on it, as one of the possable causes of the bearing going, is oil starvation, and most of the time, it is terminal, i’m in the middle of installing a new engine in a 2004 plate ford, due to it being run very low on oil, and the bottom end bearing’s were not getting the oil it needed…

As mentioned, particularly if the truck’s of an age when 2nd hand engines aren’t too hard to come by just swap out whole engine.

I went to a DAF 2800 one night with a broken crank and it was still running with a bit of a knock.Admittedly it was through a big end rather than a main.

Gas Gas that is humour of the highest order,from now on a crank will always be a “roundy roundy thing”.

Where`s it gone :open_mouth: :question:

Anywhere nice ?
I hear Southern France is all the rage at the mo` :unamused:

Oh , and Victorias thingamy jigs could do with a pumpety pump by looks of it :open_mouth:

they are small, but perfectly formed

and thanks, Griffo…

“Oy loikes a laff”, as they say in Nofuk

philgor:
this could get expensive as it’s all going to be genuine part’s

Only if you choose genuine parts.
Any half decent machine shop can supply shells in any size you want.
Our local machine shop are quite happy machining new crankshafts (from forged blanks) if you so wish!

Oh, and you can’t grind Iveco cranks. They used to makle their cranks out of proper forged steel like everyone else, but now they make them out of cheaper, weaker steel and just case harden the journals/bearing races.
So if you grind them, you take away the only tough bit in them and the metal underneath is soft.