CPC?????

delboytwo:
but if you have a D1 with code 101 you have to take the full initial CPC

correct as the D1 (101) is not a PCV - a D1 without the 101 is.

burnie1:
I have looked into this with the DSA who informed me that the only time you would not need to do the initial driver CPC when taking a Cat C is when you are not driving commercialy or when you have passed a C1 test before 10th Sept 2009.

Those who passed their car test before 1997 and have C1 on their licence through grandfathers rights and take the Cat C test after 10th Sept 2009 and want to drive commercially will have to take the initial CPC.

ROG:
Phoned DSA on 0191 201 8112 and got straight to the DSA INITIAL DRIVER CPC Experts who confirmed that a C1, no matter when they got the catagory, will NOT have to take modules 2 & 4 if they go for C after 10 Sept.

I don’t know where this other DSA info saying the opposite has come from but the experts at the DSA on the above number have asked that if anyone is saying different, please could they be asked to call that number so they can ‘discuss’ the issue.

I reckon the person at the DSA who gave you that duff info might have been getting confused with the requirement for a C1 instructor to have passed the C1 (or higher) DSA test in order for them to instruct C1s after April 2010 - dsa.gov.uk/Category.asp?cat=607

Looks like Rog is right.

Scenario

Pre 97 licence holders passes their Cat C test on the 10th September 2014. They do modules 1 + 3 to get their licence. They will then need to have completed 35 hours of periodic training and obtained their driver cpc card before they can drive. So this trainee has done no training because they have just decided to join the industry so they need to attend 5 days training to get their hours at a cost probably of £500 + and also have to have 5 days off work. If they could complete the initial CPC instead then it would be quicker and cheaper.

burnie1:
Scenario

Pre 97 licence holders passes their Cat C test on the 10th September 2014. They do modules 1 + 3 to get their licence. They will then need to have completed 35 hours of periodic training and obtained their driver cpc card before they can drive. So this trainee has done no training because they have just decided to join the industry so they need to attend 5 days training to get their hours at a cost probably of £500 + and also have to have 5 days off work. If they could complete the initial CPC instead then it would be quicker and cheaper.

Exactly that - spot on.
The only thing they could do is to plan earlier and do THE PERIODIC (ongoing) DRIVER CPC 35 hours in advance where they might have the option of doing it during their time off/annual leave from their present job.

thanks all .

ROG:
Phoned DSA on 0191 201 8112 and got straight to the DSA INITIAL DRIVER CPC Experts who confirmed that a C1, no matter when they got the catagory, will NOT have to take modules 2 & 4 if they go for C after 10 Sept.

I still await the reply from the e-mail but it WILL state the same.

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your email dated 11 August about Driver CPC for Cat C.
You did not say where you received information from, however I can confirm that the information you have is incorrect.
You will not have to do any of the modules if you already have Driver CPC by ‘acquired rights’, upgrading your C or D category does not affect Driver CPC.
However, if you have Driver CPC in one category and wish to have in the other category, e.g. if you have LGV licence and you want a PCV licence, you will have to do all 4 modules.

Yours faithfully,
Dave Shell
Contact Centre
Supervisor
Driving Standards Agency
Tel: 0300 200 1122
Fax: 0300 200 1155
Email: customer.services@dsa.gsi.gov.uk

Hi guys,

I am currently trying to pass my CAT C before 10 September. I have C1 on my licence through acquired rights (car licence passed in 1982).

So if i fail to pass in time, then I can still get CAT C on my licence by passing module 3 (the practical drive) without having to do module 2 or 4…correct? If so, will I be able to drive commercially until 10th september 2014? I can do the periodic CPC (35 days training before this date) to drive commercially after 10th September 2014?

Also, my training school says on their website that after 10 September you will have to have module 1 and 2 before practical training can begin. This is not true then as those with C1 can take the test without the other modules. Will the DSA examiners know this and not halt the test as I haven’t passed module 2?

Am I reading this right or am i missing something?

cheers!

robertt:
Hi guys,

I am currently trying to pass my CAT C before 10 September. I have C1 on my licence through acquired rights (car licence passed in 1982).

So if i fail to pass in time, then I can still get CAT C on my licence by passing module 3 (the practical drive) without having to do module 2 or 4…correct? If so, will I be able to drive commercially until 10th september 2014? I can do the periodic CPC (35 days training before this date) to drive commercially after 10th September 2014?

Also, my training school says on their website that after 10 September you will have to have module 1 and 2 before practical training can begin. This is not true then as those with C1 can take the test without the other modules. Will the DSA examiners know this and not halt the test as I haven’t passed module 2?

Am I reading this right or am i missing something?

cheers!

if you have a C1 now you don’t have to take module 2 or 4 at all (ROG as confirmed this by the DSA)

you have to take module 1 before 3 that’s all

you will how ever have to complete periodic training by 2014 to continue working for a living

delboytwo:
if you have a C1 now you don’t have to take module 2 or 4 at all (ROG as confirmed this by the DSA)

Exactly right Del :smiley:

Explained in this post - THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC

robertt:

Now you can relax :smiley:

robertt:

They are sort of correct -
The mod 1 theory must be passed before taking mod 3 test
The mod 2 theory must be passed before taking mod 4 test

The examiner will know this as a test cannot be booked and the trainee named for it without the theory pass being logged on the DSA computer system.

I would like to see exactly what it says on your training company’s website - who are you training with :question:

robertt:

you will how ever have to complete periodic training by 2014 to continue working for a living

Cheers guys thats great news :smiley: I can now relax a little :smiley:

Rog I am training with EP training based near Guildford. Great company and good trainers! Here’s the link to the page:

eptraining.co.uk/driver_cpc/initial.html

Here’s another scenario for you: At present to do module 3 (the drive) it includes 5 show me tell me questions. If I do the test (module 3) after September 10th will these still be asked or are they being dropped from this module and replaced by module 4■■?

Cheers!

robertt:
Here’s another scenario for you: At present to do module 3 (the drive) it includes 5 show me tell me questions. If I do the test (module 3) after September 10th will these still be asked or are they being dropped from this module and replaced by module 4■■?

Still the same as now - the mod 4 Qs may repeat some of then but as we don’t know what the mod 4 Qs are and the DSA will not tell :open_mouth: then your guess is as good as mine :exclamation:

robertt:
Rog I am training with EP training based near Guildford. Great company and good trainers! Here’s the link to the page:

eptraining.co.uk/driver_cpc/initial.html

MODULE 1 AND 2 MUST BE PASSED BEFORE MODULE 3 AND 4

The above quote from their site is about to be changed - they were thankful for the info.

the mod 4 Qs may repeat some of then

There is a standard question which will arise in every module 4 test. The wording is along the lines of:

From the driver’s cab and outside the vehicle, demonstrate the checks you would make before starting a journey.

Hope this helps :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

the mod 4 Qs may repeat some of then

There is a standard question which will arise in every module 4 test. The wording is along the lines of:

From the driver’s cab and outside the vehicle, demonstrate the checks you would make before starting a journey.

Hope this helps :laughing: :laughing:

To my way of thinking that would include all the on test safety questions, wouldn’t it :question:

that would include all the on test safety questions

Yes - and more. It’s important the the candidate demonstrates rather than just talks through the check.
I don’t believe anyone is going to pass the module 4 without training or a massive amount of luck :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

that would include all the on test safety questions

Yes - and more. It’s important the the candidate demonstrates rather than just talks through the check.
I don’t believe anyone is going to pass the module 4 without training or a massive amount of luck :laughing: :laughing:

this firm is offering training for module 4

driverscpc.org/portal/alias_ … fault.aspx

Peter Smythe:
Yes - and more. It’s important the the candidate demonstrates rather than just talks through the check

If that is correct, then for those doing mod 4, what is the point of the on-test safety questions for mod 3 :question:

ROG:

Peter Smythe:
Yes - and more. It’s important the the candidate demonstrates rather than just talks through the check

If that is correct, then for those doing mod 4, what is the point of the on-test safety questions for mod 3 :question:

not all driver who are upgrading will need to do module 4 and that why the questions in mod 3 would still be required

delboytwo:
not all driver who are upgrading will need to do module 4 and that why the questions in mod 3 would still be required

I know - that’s why I said - for those doing mod 4 :wink: - it does not really matter because if they know them then they know them and doing a few questions twice would cause no great problems :slight_smile:

ROG:

delboytwo:

I know - that’s why I said - for those doing mod 4 :wink: - it does not really matter because if they know them then they know them and doing a few questions twice would cause no great problems :slight_smile:

Rog module 3 changes in sept as well, is there going to be any questions in it anyway cos of module 4

will there take them out