CPC?????

hi all, need a bit of help with the cpc thing. I passed my class 2 about 3 weeks ago and been looking for work but not alot around for newbies :frowning: But at least i got a job at the mo as a 360 driver untill I can get a driving job. The thing i want to know is the road transport .com It says about ‘grandfather’s’ rights so do I NOT have to do all the cpc test■■?. It does say that i have to do 35 hours of pre-periodic training. But dont no what that is■■? Thanks for any help .

Bigdave:
hi all, need a bit of help with the cpc thing. I passed my class 2 about 3 weeks ago and been looking for work but not alot around for newbies :frowning: But at least i got a job at the mo as a 360 driver untill I can get a driving job. The thing i want to know is the road transport .com It says about ‘grandfather’s’ rights so do I NOT have to do all the cpc test■■?. It does say that i have to do 35 hours of pre-periodic training. But dont no what that is■■? Thanks for any help .

Hi Bigdave, There’s a lot of confusion about the driver CPC, so you’re not the only one wondering about it…

This may answer a few of your questions: :arrow_right: CLICKY

I hope that helps, but please post-up if you need more info. :smiley:

Bigdave:

hi mate all driver that have a C1 or passed the C or C+E before sept 10 2009 will have acquired rights and there fore not need to do the Initial Driver CPC, but you will have to do the 35 hours Periodic Driver CPC of the next 5 years you can do this 35 hours of 5 days at one day a year or all at once and every 5 years there after

this is a link to it and there alot of info for you to have a look

drivercpc.org/en/ptg/

delboytwo:

Bigdave:

hi mate all driver that have a C1 or passed the C or C+E before sept 10 2009 will have acquired rights and there fore not need to do the Initial Driver CPC, but you will have to do the 35 hours Periodic Driver CPC of the next 5 years you can do this 35 hours of 5 days at one day a year or all at once and every 5 years there after

this is a link to it and there alot of info for you to have a look

drivercpc.org/en/ptg/

Just want to clarrify that if you have a C1 on grandfathers rights and pass your cat C after 10th Sept 2009 you will have to do the initial driver CPC.

burnie1:
Just want to clarrify that if you have a C1 on grandfathers rights and pass your cat C after 10th Sept 2009 you will have to do the initial driver CPC.

No - the INITIAL DRIVER CPC after Sept 10 is for those doing C that DO NOT have a C1 on their licence.

Having the C1 on the licence before Sept 10 means they have granfather rights for the Driver CPC so only need to do the PERIODIC DRIVER CPC - the 35 hours before Sept 10 2014

ROG:

burnie1:

No - the INITIAL DRIVER CPC after Sept 10 is for those doing C that DO NOT have a C1 on their licence.

Having the C1 on the licence before Sept 10 means they have granfather rights for the Driver CPC so only need to do the PERIODIC DRIVER CPC - the 35 hours before Sept 10 2014

I think you are wrong on this one Rog. I have looked into this with the DSA who informed me that the only time you would not need to do the initial driver CPC when taking a Cat C is when you are not driving commercialy or when you have passed a C1 test before 10th Sept 2009.

Those who passed their car test before 1997 and have C1 on their licence through grandfathers rights and take the Cat C test after 10th Sept 2009 and want to drive commercially will have to take the initial CPC.

It is the same for the theory test when pre 97 licence holders go for the Cat C they have to pass the theory.

ROAD TRAFFIC
The Vehicle Drivers (Certificates of Professional Competence)
Regulations 2007

Persons who must take initial CPC test

4.–(1) Except where paragraph (5) or (9) applies and subject to paragraph (7), a person topwhom these Regulations apply is not permitted to drive a relevant vehicle on a road on or after the date specified in paragraph (3) unless he has successfully completed the appropriate initial CPC test.
(2) For the purposes of this regulation–
(a) the appropriate initial CPC test is the test relating to vehicles of the category into which that particular relevant vehicle falls;
(b) where Article 5(5) of the Directive applies, the appropriate initial CPC test must comply with the last paragraph of Section 2.2 of Annex I to the Directive.
(3) The specified date is 10th September 2008 in respect of vehicles in licence category D or D+E and 10th September 2009 in respect of vehicles in licence category C or C+E.
(4) A person may take the initial CPC test whether or not he has been granted a driving licence for a relevant vehicle.
(5) This paragraph applies where–
(a) a person is undergoing a vocational training course leading to a professional qualification relevant to the carriage by road of passengers or goods (or both) and which is approved by the competent authority as a course to which this paragraph applies;
(b) that course lasts at least six months;
(c) that person has produced to the competent authority’s satisfaction such evidence as that authority may reasonably require that he is undergoing such a course;
(d) the competent authority has issued that person with a document authorising him to drive that relevant vehicle for a specified period of up to 12 months while undertaking such a course; and
(e) that person is driving within the United Kingdom.
(6) The competent authority may authorise a person under paragraph (5)(d) in respect of only one specified period.
(7) A person is not required to take an initial CPC test relating to vehicles of the category into which that particular relevant vehicle falls if he holds a document described in paragraph (8) –
(a) on 10th September 2008, if that vehicle falls into category D or D+E;
(b) on 10th September 2009, if that vehicle falls into category C or C+E.
(8) That document may be –
(a) a current driving licence;
(b) a current driving licence issued by a member State other than the United Kingdom;
(c) a current driving licence recognised as equivalent to a document described in subparagraph (a) or (b); or
(d) a current test pass certificate entitling its holder to a driving licence authorising the driving of any relevant vehicle.
(9) This paragraph applies where a person holds a CPC certifying an initial qualification within the meaning of Article 6(1)(a) of the Directive (CPC awarded on the basis of course attendance and a test).
(10) A person who has passed the initial CPC test in respect of a vehicle which falls within–
(a) category C or C+E, or
(b) category D or D+E,
need not take another initial CPC test to drive any relevant vehicle that falls within the other category referred to in the same sub-paragraph.

S.J. Ladymsn
Minister of State
26th February 2007 Department for Transport

Forgive me if wrong but I thought C1 is a sub catagory of C.
C1 drivers have aquired Driver cpc rights,

Can anyone see where it says that C1 drivers with aquired rights have to do the INITIAL for C as I am not brilliant and reading law.

Best thing to do is talk to the DSA in the Morning

I have debated it before with my view being the same as yours however I was advised differently.

As I have said it is the same as the theory test

burnie1:
Best thing to do is talk to the DSA in the Morning

I have debated it before with my view being the same as yours however I was advised differently.

As I have said it is the same as the theory test

will do :slight_smile:

burnie1:
I think you are wrong on this one Rog. I have looked into this with the DSA who informed me that the only time you would not need to do the initial driver CPC when taking a Cat C is when you are not driving commercialy or when you have passed a C1 test before 10th Sept 2009.

Those who passed their car test before 1997 and have C1 on their licence through grandfathers rights and take the Cat C test after 10th Sept 2009 and want to drive commercially will have to take the initial CPC.

It is the same for the theory test when pre 97 licence holders go for the Cat C they have to pass the theory.

Got to be honest Rog this was my take on it as well but I will stand to be corrected.

This is going to be a very interesting call to the DSA.

The LGV DQC gets issued with ALL the LGV catagories listed - C1 C1+E C C+E - this is because the LGV driver cpc covers them all.

Aquired rights for the DQC are for ALL those who have any of the above catagories on their licence on 10 Sept 2009 and that includes those with pre 97 C1s.
For licence aquisition those that have pre 97 C1s will have to do modules 1 and 3 as those two modules are required to get a C licence issued by the DVLA.
The DVLA do not require modules 2 & 4 in order to issue a licence.

If pre 97 C1s do not do modules 2 and 4 (the driver cpc modules) when upgrading to C then they need not worry as they are already covered on the Driver cpc DQC - or by aquired rights.

The DSA cannot say that pre 97 C1s need to do the initial driver cpc (modules 2 & 4) to gain a DQC with C on it as it is already listed on the card - or by aquired rights.
If that was the case then the same argument would be used when upgrading from C to C+E but it is not !!

Had the DQC only listed the licence catagories that the driver held then that would be a different matter.

I’ve E-mailed the contents of this post to drivercpc@dsa.gsi.gov.uk

• I now await their response…

ROG:
The DVLA do not require modules 2 & 4 in order to issue a licence.

An added thought on this -
A post 97 B licence holder who wants a C1 licence to drive their own horsebox can take modules 1 & 3 to get the licence - the same is true for a C.
It would mean that they cannot drive the above and get paid for it - that’s all.

Unless there is going to be a change in the LAW that makes the licence aquisition dependant on getting all 4 modules, the DSA is in very unsafe legal territory if they say otherwise.

looking at your post Rog i would say a C1 licence holder would have to take all the modules

ROG:
(7) A person is not required to take an initial CPC test relating to vehicles of the category into which that particular relevant vehicle falls if he holds a document described in paragraph (8) –
(a) on 10th September 2008, if that vehicle falls into category D or D+E;
(b) on 10th September 2009, if that vehicle falls into category C or C+E.
(8) That document may be –
(a) a current driving licence;

if you look at this so if you have a C now you don’t have to take the initial cpc

as you have a C1 and it is not in the quote it would mean that you would have to

Phoned DSA on 0191 201 8112 and got straight to the DSA INITIAL DRIVER CPC Experts who confirmed that a C1, no matter when they got the catagory, will NOT have to take modules 2 & 4 if they go for C after 10 Sept.

I still await the reply from the e-mail but it WILL state the same.

I don’t know where this other DSA info saying the opposite has come from but the experts at the DSA on the above number have asked that if anyone is saying different, please could they be asked to call that number so they can ‘discuss’ the issue.

delboytwo:
you have a C1 and it is not in the quote

C1 is a sub catagory of C and therefore, if different rules from C, would need to be stated.
Or simply - C includes C1 - just as C+E includes C1+E

Rog

there one thing if any driver that as a licence for C1 i wonder if there have the restriction code on there licence there a code for the CPC

103 subject to certificate of competence

if there have this on there licence would that mean that there would have to take the initial CPC

it would be interesting to see if any C1 driver as this code on there licence

delboytwo:
103 subject to certificate of competence

What makes you think that is anything to do with the LGV driver CPC or even the National (operator) CPC :question: :question: :question: :confused: :confused:

Rog

you can take a HGV driving test after 10 sept and not need to take 2 or 4 and if you don’t IMO your licence will have 103 on it just for that

there as to be some thing on your licence to say you can drive trucks for a living so that you as the driver knows that you can so DVLA put on you driving licence 103 just like there do if you have D1, 101 not for hire or reward

so in the future a new driver that passes is HGV test will have 103 on so that there know that he as to have a DQC as well if the driver wants to drive for a living

According to the DVLA that is not how it will work Del.
The LICENCE will inform the official of what catagories are held.
The DQC (from 10 Sept 2014) will tell the official if the driver cpc requirements have been met.
Officials can check both by computer link to DVLA.
Prospective employers will ask to see the licence and DQC.

Nothing will be on the LICENCE in regard to the DQC (driver cpc) as they are SEPERATE issues.

I hope that clears it up for you.

so then the only one that have to take the initial CPC are the ones that do not have a licence for C1 IE new drivers

but if you have a D1 with code 101 you have to take the full initial CPC