CPC

what is cpc all about, do drivers need it, or is it for employers & self employed?

This is a very simple explanation for the two types of DRIVER CPC.
It deliberately does not go into any sort of detail as a lot of the details have not yet been finalised.

The DRIVER CPC allows a driver to drive for HIRE or REWARD

There are TWO types of DRIVER CPC.

The INITIAL (to get a D1, D, C1 or C licence) & the PERIODIC (ongoing) for when you have the D1, D, C1, C or C+E licence

The INITIAL driver cpc is purely for a D1, D, C1 or C licence acquisition and is about the same as what is done now but with some senario questions added as an extra theory test and a half hour extra of questions about certain areas of safety which may include physically showing the examiner how to strap, chain, rope a load etc

The PERIODIC driver cpc is to be (unless they change it) an ATTENDANCE of 35 hours of training at an approved centre or with an approved trainer. It needs renewing every 5 years and can be done in 5 x 7 hour sessions, which can be spread over the 5 year period.
The 7 hour sessions can be split into 2 half consecutive days.( 2 x 3.5 hours)

I do not know what it will cover or consist of because the DSA etc have not finalised it yet :exclamation:

If you have a D1, D, D+E, C1, C or C+E licence on Sept 10 2009 then the 35 hours will need to be done by Sept 2014 to retain your right to drive for HIRE or REWARD - it does NOT affect your right to retain your LGV or PCV licence.

Those that pass the INITIAL driver cpc after Sept 10 2009 will have to do their PERIODIC driver cpc within 5 years from their pass date - the 5 year expiry date should be on the issued DRIVER CPC CARD.

The medical requirements will not change.

The upgrading to a C+E or D+E licence will not change from what it is now.

I Hope that I have managed to make things a little clearer and I regret that I cannot offer any more positive info than I have already put here :slight_smile:

The DRIVER CPC is not the same as other CPCs

Link to IDCPC - Initial Driver Certificate of Professional Competence

Link to PDCPC - Periodic (ongoing) Driver Certificate of Professional Competence

You can try looking on DSA CPC Info
and also on OCR CPC Info for info on the Operator CPC.

It’s about drivers and operators having to put their hands in their pockets again for another stealth tax.

ROG,

Got a quick about the HIRE or REWARD element of the the drivers CPC.

My company runs a restricted operator licence. I only deliver goods that on used in connection with my companies business. E.g. We a company that installs steel staircases and I deliver the steel work, plant(Cherry pickers etc) and tools for the job.

Do I need a driver CPC in 5 years to continue driving(not that I will have a job then)

Thanks

Jim

truckerjimbo:
ROG,

My company runs a restricted operator licence. I only deliver goods that on used in connection with my companies business. E.g. We a company that installs steel staircases and I deliver the steel work, plant(Cherry pickers etc) and tools for the job.

Do I need a driver CPC in 5 years to continue driving(not that I will have a job then)

Thanks

Jim

If you were just taking the gear to the job, parking the vehicle and then doing the installation which was your main job, then driving the vehicle back to the yard at the end of the day, it would be regarded as the exemption below…

3.–(1) These Regulations apply to any person who drives a relevant vehicle, other than a vehicle to which paragraph (2) applies, on a road and is –
(a) a national of a member State; or
(b) a national of a third country employed or used by an undertaking established in a member State.
(2) This paragraph applies to a vehicle–
(a) which it is an offence for that person to drive on any road at a speed greater than 45 kilometres per hour in Great Britain under section 89 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984(e) or in Northern Ireland under the Motor Vehicles (Speed Limits) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1989(f);
(b) which is being used by, or is under the control of any of the following –
(i) the armed forces;
(ii) a police force;
(iii) a local authority in the discharge of any function conferred on or exercisable by that authority under an order made under section 5 of the Civil Contingencies Act 2004(g) or regulations made under section 20 of that Act, or
(a) 1996 c.14.
(b) Section 66A was inserted by the Road Traffic Act 1991 (c .40), section 9(1) and amended by the Goods Vehicles (Licensing of Operators) Act 1995 (c.23), section 60(1) and Schedule 7, paragraph 11. (c) S.I. 1995/2994 (N.I. 18).
(d) 1971 c.77; the definition of “work permit” was amended by the British Nationality Act 1981 (c. 6), Schedule 4, paragraph 7.
There are other amendments to section 33 which are not relevant to these Regulations.
(e) 1984 c.27.
(f) S.R. 1989 No. 203.
(g) 2004 c.36.
(iv) a fire and rescue authority;
(c) which is undergoing road tests for technical development, repair or maintenance purposes, or that is a new or rebuilt vehicle which has not yet been put into service;
(d) which is being used in a state of emergency or is assigned to a rescue mission;
(e) which is being used in the course of a driving lesson or driving test for the purpose of enabling that person to obtain a driving licence or a CPC;
(f) which is being used for the non-commercial carriage of passengers or goods for personal use;
(g) which is carrying material or equipment to be used by that person in the course of his work, provided that driving that vehicle is not his principal activity.

ROG:

truckerjimbo:
ROG,

Thanks

Jim

If you were just taking the gear to the job, parking the vehicle and then doing the installation which was your main job, then driving the vehicle back to the yard at the end of the day, it would be regarded as the exemption below…

3.–(1) These Regulations apply to any person who drives a relevant vehicle, other than a vehicle to which paragraph (2) applies, on a road and is –
(a) a national of a member State; or
(b) a national of a third country employed or used by an undertaking established in a member State.
(2) This paragraph applies to a vehicle–
(a) which it is an offence for that person to drive on any road at a speed greater than 45 kilometres per hour in Great Britain under section 89 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984(e) or in Northern Ireland under the Motor Vehicles (Speed Limits) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1989(f);
(b) which is being used by, or is under the control of any of the following –
(i) the armed forces;
(ii) a police force;
(iii) a local authority in the discharge of any function conferred on or exercisable by that authority under an order made under section 5 of the Civil Contingencies Act 2004(g) or regulations made under section 20 of that Act, or
(a) 1996 c.14.
(b) Section 66A was inserted by the Road Traffic Act 1991 (c .40), section 9(1) and amended by the Goods Vehicles (Licensing of Operators) Act 1995 (c.23), section 60(1) and Schedule 7, paragraph 11. (c) S.I. 1995/2994 (N.I. 18).
(d) 1971 c.77; the definition of “work permit” was amended by the British Nationality Act 1981 (c. 6), Schedule 4, paragraph 7.
There are other amendments to section 33 which are not relevant to these Regulations.
(e) 1984 c.27.
(f) S.R. 1989 No. 203.
(g) 2004 c.36.
(iv) a fire and rescue authority;
(c) which is undergoing road tests for technical development, repair or maintenance purposes, or that is a new or rebuilt vehicle which has not yet been put into service;
(d) which is being used in a state of emergency or is assigned to a rescue mission;
(e) which is being used in the course of a driving lesson or driving test for the purpose of enabling that person to obtain a driving licence or a CPC;
(f) which is being used for the non-commercial carriage of passengers or goods for personal use;
(g) which is carrying material or equipment to be used by that person in the course of his work, provided that driving that vehicle is not his principal activity.

No I dont install the steel. I just deliver the steel work and then go back the yard.

Jim

truckerjimbo:
Do I need a driver CPC in 5 years to continue driving

I just deliver the steel work and then go back the yard.

Jim

Then you need to do the PDCPC 35 hours ‘training’ to continue driving for a job in a vehicle over 3.5 tonnes after Sept 2014

mikewhi:
It’s about drivers and operators having to put their hands in their pockets again for another stealth tax.

Agreed!

Attended my first module today for my D and to be honest its patronising ■■■■■■■■ with a price tag!

Just a means to and end for us lot to continue earning a living, the course content was nothing I didn’t already know!

Dusty321:
Attended my first module today for my D and to be honest its patronising ■■■■■■■■ with a price tag!

Just a means to and end for us lot to continue earning a living, the course content was nothing I didn’t already know!

Can you tell us exactly what you did for 7 hours please :question:

I.E. what was involved, format and course content etc…

ROG:

Dusty321:

Can you tell us exactly what you did for 7 hours please :question:

I.E. what was involved, format and course content etc…

Oh jeez… to cut a very long day short it started with a group introduction, you all sit in the training room and ask the person to your left question about them, then stand up and talk about that person for 2 minutes to the group.

Then comes a section about your company, their aims and visions for the future etc etc…

Then your group (3x5 people) are given a laminated diagram of a bus with 15 (I think) bullet points such as bus exterior, tyres, lights etc you are required to select 2 of the 15 and identify possible vehicle faults… Something like:- Exterior Please identify 9 possible faults or Tyres Please identify 4 possible faults and so on. Then 2 from the group are required to stand up and both explain to the whole group what possible faults could be found and why they were chosen…

Then, a video section on customer care and how to deal with drunk customers roll play for around an hour.

Then, drink drive law. How much can a driver drink the night before his shift. This is another group activity. 45 mins or so

What to do and how to help disabled customers. What to say and what not to say to them…

Daily workaround checks. Many vids…

Speeding and the potential for fatal consequences. 5 vids and around 1/1.2 hours…

A 15 minute crossword connected with road safety, the company and customer care…

“Eco Driving” How to reduce company vehicle wear, fuel costs and saving the environment :unamused: many vids…2 hours or so

Lastly, a vid with our company blowing its own trumpet… How we support our local community, dedicated to our customers, providing the best possible service yada yada yada…

Thats about it from memory Rog

Thank you for describing your wonderful exciting day :exclamation: :unamused: - I was falling asleep just reading it… ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I would be happy to update my skills and broaden my experience but from what I have read and seen its just a new tax.Dont want to be negative but if a bus man and truck man can inter-change like this what is the point.A trucker can learn about disabled passengers and how to care for them and do a module about long overhangs then 1 on double deckers .but its not relevant to his job ,never mind though he is half way through his training.

The thing that does it for me is that you can’t fail it, its not a test its purely an assessment to show you where you can improve at certain part of your job, pure ■■■■■■ stealth tax

I missed something from that list… a talk about sleep and how much you need or the 5 stages of sleep…

It was quite gripping stuff, (in a patronising talking to a child styley) the trainer told us “if we don’t get enough sleep we might have an accident” no ■■■■ Sherlock! :unamused:

Its not the course that irritates me beyond belief but the underlying reason for the course… Money :imp:

No wonder you were falling asleep :cry:
Sounds like the aim of the day was to give you as much useless info in the shortest time :laughing:

I have experience of training this subject and have delivered a full 35 hour-1 week course.

Of course some of the information people already know but the guys all said the found it interesting and informative.

Sounds like you had an experience of bad training.

chevmac:
No wonder you were falling asleep :cry:
Sounds like the aim of the day was to give you as much useless info in the shortest time :laughing:

I have experience of training this subject and have delivered a full 35 hour-1 week course.

Of course some of the information people already know but the guys all said the found it interesting and informative.

Sounds like you had an experience of bad training.

Hi chevmac, This is a subject that’s just a tad contentious…:grimacing:

Leaving aside all the stuff about ‘stealth tax’ and all the other emotive stuff, I’d say that the tutor seems (to me) to have had a problem adapting to the audience. IMHO, that’s a sure-fire way of irritating the learners right from the ‘off.’ :frowning:

IMHO, any classroom based ‘driver’ courses ought to be delivered by tutors who are ‘ex-industry,’ just like the requirement for delivering ADR. :wink:

I think this won’t be the first time that we hear such a story. :wink: </Mystic Dave mode>

i have a full class c licence, am wanting in time and savings allowing to take my class c+e (artic), will the test day be any different to when i took my class c in 2007, or will the test be longer, more questions in tell me show me , for the cpc.
hope you can help.

chevmac:

I know it’s asking a lot but is there any chance someone you know that has sat the course, coming onto here and giving their experience of it :question: :question:

dieseldave:
Leaving aside all the stuff about ‘stealth tax’ and all the other emotive stuff, I’d say that the tutor seems (to me) to have had a problem adapting to the audience. IMHO, that’s a sure-fire way of irritating the learners right from the ‘off.’ :frowning:

IMHO, any classroom based ‘driver’ courses ought to be delivered by tutors who are ‘ex-industry,’ just like the requirement for delivering ADR. :wink:

I think this won’t be the first time that we hear such a story. :wink: </Mystic Dave mode>

I’d have to agree with Mystic Dave- think we can all see this one coming :laughing:

In answer to your question ROG I will certainly ask some of the guys concerned if they fancy giving all the juicy gossip about their course-

stay tuned for further develpoments