CPC module 2

where the hell do you get more info on this or any sort of example as to what it involves?? iv got my multiple choice theory tomorrow and want to book this if I pass. I have no idea what I need to learn and I begrudge paying the book which doesn’t give you any questions just tells you what is it ?

A common question. Mod 2 is the case studies right?

Think of it as the theory test but applied. So you know all this stuff now, you have passed the theory test, this is testing the ability to work out which bits of it apply to certain situations.

If you know the theory material you should be fine. Good luck with theory test.

thanks ! does seem like some sort of big secret though… I didn’t want to go into it blindfolded but im just gonna book it

Good luck.

scotlass:
Good luck.

A 1st post - Welcome to the forum! :smiley:

Cheers. Will be able to read more on my laptop and not my phone. Getting used to tap talk too!

You really need the offical driving manual for cpc mod 2 test. Every thing you need to know for the test is in there. I wouldn’t waste your money on cpc book. Just go into bookshop and flick through it. All it does is tell you about how the test is conducted got nothing to do with preparing for the test.

Just read the official book a couple of times especially sections 2, 3 and 4. They give you all the answers. Try and make sure it is most recent one as if not there might be some incorrect information. When you’ve done LGV theory and then read book you’ll understand what i mean. You can then recognize where the questions/answers will come from.

Like i said on other post most of it is going to be a rehash of what you did in the LGV theory but just asked in a different way. You will have a case study (i think on the left side of screen) which will be repeated for each question. Then the questions you get will be connected to the case study. One question for example might be about bad dietery habits. You might have to click on a hamburger if it asks you what is most likely to cause heart disease if eaten in excess.

I’m doing mine tomorrow so i’ll see if i can remember one or two case studies and the questions give you a better idea of you worrying needlessly.

FOUND THE FOLLOWING WHICH IS WORTH A READ
This is a theory based examination that must be sat at a DSA approved theory testing centre. It’s a case study based examination that consists of 7 separate scenarios. The scenarios reflect situations a professional driver may encounter is his or her working day. Each scenario has between 7-8 questions. The questions are supported by multi choice answers. So candidates are required to read the case studies carefully, read the questions and select the answer/s which is most applicable.

In total 50 questions will be asked and the pass mark required is at least 40 correct answers. For some the Module 2 case study examination is pretty straight forward however for others it is quite a challenging examination. Those who seem to have most difficulty are those whose English is not their 1st language. The reason being you must be able to read and fully understand the scenarios before you can properly answer the questions.

Unlike the Multi Choice (Module 1A) and Hazard Perception (Module 1B) theory tests the DSA do not provide any real training material to prepare adequately for the module 2 (or Module 4) test. A book has been produced by the DSA which explains what Driver CPC is and what to expect in the exam however this does not provide any of the questions or answers that will be given in the examination.

Please note. The DSA (or any other organisation) will not publish (in advance) any of the questions and answers candidates will receive in the Module 2 test. So learning parrot fashion is not possible.

If you know your stuff for the theory test it’ll be a breeze. The answers are the same but the questions are asked in a different way. You get a case study to read on the left hand side of the screen and it will ask you five or six questions based on it. You can learn everything you need from the book/DVD that you get to learn the theory.

Just done cpc module 2. Managed to get 47/50. Wish i can say i left room confident i had passed. But i wasn’t sure one way or the other. I think the biggest problem with this test is risk of panic if you get a question at the beginning that you just don’t know. Then another one comes up and you’re thinking f… i am going to fail.

My advice for what it’s worth:

1. always remeber that you can get 10 wrong and still pass. It’s unlikely you are going to get more than that wrong if you can pass the LGV theory as there is quite a bit of overlap with the questions. I had one asking how many days can you drive for 10 hours.

2) DO NOT NEGLECT PARTS OF THE DVSA DRIVING GOODS VEHICLES MANUAL BECAUSE YOU THINK IT WON’T COME UP!!!

Although familiar with drivers hours I made the mistake in not learning the rules about multi-manning. Typical i get a bloody multi-manning case study. I wasn’t sure if it was:
9 hours rest in 24 hours / 9 hours in 30 hours / 11 hours in 24 hours / 11 hours in 30 hours
I flagged it came back to at the end and think i went for 9 hours in 30 hours. I know from the book i saw a mention of 30 hours when it is multi-manned but just didn’t learn it enough.

Another question in same case study was: Bill and Bob decide to use their tachograph charts as their only record of drivers hours. How long do they have to keep them for? 6 months / 1 year / 18 months / 2 years
I honesly didn’t know. i went between 18 months and 2 years but in the end cannot even remember what i chose.

I also got that ratio question again. Maybe others can work this out a lot easily than me. Question about tippers. Your old vehicle was 16,800kg payload and you get a new one 25,200kg. What is the ration of new to old?

Now i knew i had to divide them both by a common factor. I started with dividing by two. [Bare in mind you can’t have any paper/pen with you]. I then spotted i could divide by 12. So you get a ration of 21:14 Divide by 7 and you get 3:2 So the new vehicle you can make two trips compared to three in the old one. I’m sure there is an easier way of doing it, but under exam/time conditions it’s easy to panic.

Unfortunately they don’t tell you what questions you failed on just categories.

Had a question about loads. Load carrying wood, bags and tubular metal. What would you use for the metal: answer must have been chains. I know i had come across using chains for metal but i was thinking tubular maybe not any sharp edges maybe ropes would have been okay as the other material being carried i’m sure ropes would have been suitable.

The case studies are all quite long so i really cannot recall any in detail.

I had a question about drinking alcohol. It asked: How long, at a minimum, would the alcohol stay in the blood stream. The answer were different ranges from 6-14 up to over 72 hours. What threw me was “at a minimum”. So i went for the 6-14 hours.

As i said most questions you will recognize as if you were doing the LGV theory it’s just a few buggers they throw in that you need to be prepared for.

Well done! :smiley:

Good post, nicely written as well!

Now I know a bit about the MOD2 :open_mouth:

Thanks Beezle. I’m assuming you passed car test before 1997 so you already had 7.5T licence? Did you do any 7.5T work before you went for your C?

JS8576:
Thanks Beezle. I’m assuming you passed car test before 1997 so you already had 7.5T licence? Did you do any 7.5T work before you went for your C?

I’m 44 pal, so yes!

Not much C1 stuff though, and that was years/yonks ago. I was lucky enough to be on construction sites before all the H&S, and licences really kicked in. So I got to drive all that stuff, like big excavators, JCB’s site forklifts etc. I used to also go to the concrete works in the 3.5 ton tipper, to collect 1/2 cubic meter of concrete (1.2 tons approx). And that was fun when the concrete (falling from the height a normal concrete mixed is filled from) hit the tipper bed, concrete splattering everywhere! Rusted the crap out the tipper as well! :laughing:

Are you doing C work now. Can’t remember if i’ve seen any post about you doing C+E next. I did consider telescopic forklift before i decided to go for LGV but the whole red/blue card put me off. Just as many hoops to jump through to get red card and then no employer will give you a job as they want blue. Then you need an employer who will put you through the NVQ in order to get blue card! In all it will cost the same as LGV so i thought better option. No mud, rain, labouring work when the telescopic is not needed.

You’re younger than me. I passed mine 3 months too late to get 7.5T. Still don’t really know, until i get some training, if driving a large vehicle is for me. Next step am going to do some car lessons in auto to get some up to date driving experience (last time i drove i reversed into a fence :astonished: luckily nobody around but in hindsight i should have reported it within 24 hours to the police) and get to grips with any differences to driving auto. Plus focus on some advanced driving. Then give Cat C training a go. See what happens.

JS8576:
Are you doing C work now. Can’t remember if i’ve seen any post about you doing C+E next. I did consider telescopic forklift before i decided to go for LGV but the whole red/blue card put me off. Just as many hoops to jump through to get red card and then no employer will give you a job as they want blue. Then you need an employer who will put you through the NVQ in order to get blue card! In all it will cost the same as LGV so i thought better option. No mud, rain, labouring work when the telescopic is not needed.

You’re younger than me. I passed mine 3 months too late to get 7.5T. Still don’t really know, until i get some training, if driving a large vehicle is for me. Next step am going to do some car lessons in auto to get some up to date driving experience (last time i drove i reversed into a fence :astonished: luckily nobody around but in hindsight i should have reported it within 24 hours to the police) and get to grips with any differences to driving auto. Plus focus on some advanced driving. Then give Cat C training a go. See what happens.

I passed Class C about 3 weeks ago. And due to your personality considerations, i wouldn’t suggest a site environment for you, as they are brutal guys normally. You get intelligent ones, but you also get the right idiots, that laugh hysterically if someone gets their ■■■■ out and ■■■■■■ into another persons cup. I kid you not!!! (Right disgusting meat heads!) Breaks are normally all together, and in bad weather you will all be huddled into mud encrusted filthy Portacabins, or you will be spending every minute of your day in your cab■■? Or that is what it was like 20 years ago…

I’m confused. Do you have a manual car licence? If not, why not?

As for seeing if Class C driving is for you, why don’t you find a trainer to get (probably) a free assessment drive?

Also, if your going to be a driver, you need to have transport, so get a car! :smiley:

Got manual car licence but have not had much driving experience over the years. Never owned my own car. So haven’t driven for a while. I’ll probably look around for free assessments but i think without up to date driving skills they might suggest i need more than 5 days so i’d rather get the experience and confidence on the road with a car and might as well in the process focus on sort of skills that will be needed to pass cat c like mirrors, planning, etc…

You probably right about car. Was hoping to get away with not needing one if i could find something more local. I suppose if i can get a job and earn a good wage i’ll be in a better position to afford to buy something second hand. Maybe a moped if it comes to it. Don’t fancy CBT, hazard, theory, training and test again to get scooter licence. Can ride moped on current licence.

Yeah that was the other thing that put me off about building site. A bit too close knit for me with builders all hanging around larking about etc… Liked the idea of telescopic though. I think that’s why i’m drawn to HIAB training rather than C+E. I think money better spent (in my case).

JS8576:
Just done cpc module 2. Managed to get 47/50. Wish i can say i left room confident i had passed. But i wasn’t sure one way or the other. I think the biggest problem with this test is risk of panic if you get a question at the beginning that you just don’t know. Then another one comes up and you’re thinking f… i am going to fail.

My advice for what it’s worth:

1. always remeber that you can get 10 wrong and still pass. It’s unlikely you are going to get more than that wrong if you can pass the LGV theory as there is quite a bit of overlap with the questions. I had one asking how many days can you drive for 10 hours.

2) DO NOT NEGLECT PARTS OF THE DVSA DRIVING GOODS VEHICLES MANUAL BECAUSE YOU THINK IT WON’T COME UP!!!

Although familiar with drivers hours I made the mistake in not learning the rules about multi-manning. Typical i get a bloody multi-manning case study. I wasn’t sure if it was:
9 hours rest in 24 hours / 9 hours in 30 hours / 11 hours in 24 hours / 11 hours in 30 hours
I flagged it came back to at the end and think i went for 9 hours in 30 hours. I know from the book i saw a mention of 30 hours when it is multi-manned but just didn’t learn it enough.

Another question in same case study was: Bill and Bob decide to use their tachograph charts as their only record of drivers hours. How long do they have to keep them for? 6 months / 1 year / 18 months / 2 years
I honesly didn’t know. i went between 18 months and 2 years but in the end cannot even remember what i chose.

I also got that ratio question again. Maybe others can work this out a lot easily than me. Question about tippers. Your old vehicle was 16,800kg payload and you get a new one 25,200kg. What is the ration of new to old?

Now i knew i had to divide them both by a common factor. I started with dividing by two. [Bare in mind you can’t have any paper/pen with you]. I then spotted i could divide by 12. So you get a ration of 21:14 Divide by 7 and you get 3:2 So the new vehicle you can make two trips compared to three in the old one. I’m sure there is an easier way of doing it, but under exam/time conditions it’s easy to panic.

Unfortunately they don’t tell you what questions you failed on just categories.

Had a question about loads. Load carrying wood, bags and tubular metal. What would you use for the metal: answer must have been chains. I know i had come across using chains for metal but i was thinking tubular maybe not any sharp edges maybe ropes would have been okay as the other material being carried i’m sure ropes would have been suitable.

The case studies are all quite long so i really cannot recall any in detail.

I had a question about drinking alcohol. It asked: How long, at a minimum, would the alcohol stay in the blood stream. The answer were different ranges from 6-14 up to over 72 hours. What threw me was “at a minimum”. So i went for the 6-14 hours.

As i said most questions you will recognize as if you were doing the LGV theory it’s just a few buggers they throw in that you need to be prepared for.

Well I wish I had stumbled across this beauty a couple of days ago… Unfortunately failed my CPC mod 2 yesterday (Friday 1st) even though I breezed through the MOD1a & 1b on Wednesday… 3 of the above were in my test, the ratio. Stupidly I chose 2:1 (I used absolutely no logic when choosing that answer) & it weren’t until I was driving home fuming with myself that I’d only managed 38/50 - failed by 2 marks. that I started reviewing the questions in my head. It makes total sense now on review that the answer would be 3:2 & hind-sight is a beautiful thing. I also messed up on a couple of the simple tachograph questions re. still on the multi-manning theme. What mode would the non-driver set theirs to - obviously “available for work” but I remember putting “resting” what a mug! & how pressure can mess with your head… Gotta wait another month now to get my next attempt & sods law these questions won’t come up. Just for clarity, I got 95/100 on the mod 1 multiple choice, so I don’t see how I was ill-prepared for the mod 2, just made daft decisions when applying logic & staying relaxed would have been a much simpler solution.

I found this the hardest part of getting my class 2 (completed Thursday just gone) I scraped through with a 40-50 but not going to lie struggled. Had one complete question about CMR and which colour copy goes to which person. The simplest answer should of been it’s written at the F ing top of the page I ve ask a few drivers I know and even they have said they did nt have a clue but we’re sure it’s written at the top. Which it is by the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stanny_1985:
I found this the hardest part of getting my class 2 (completed Thursday just gone) I scraped through with a 40-50 but not going to lie struggled. Had one complete question about CMR and which colour copy goes to which person. The simplest answer should of been it’s written at the F ing top of the page I ve ask a few drivers I know and even they have said they did nt have a clue but we’re sure it’s written at the top. Which it is by the way

So was that actually one of the 4 options of an answer it gave you?

The CPC CD-ROM I have has no kind of question like that on there, or any of the above mentioned hence why I went in a bit blind… Don’t get me wrong, I am not slagging off the software I have used to guide me by any means as I am sure this type of info is readily available somewhere. I guess I was just naïve in thinking that the software covered everything by the case studies and mock tests - I went through all 30 case studies on my CD twice for revision and I was smashing those mock tests (Just to let people know I used the “The complete LGV & PCV Driver CPC Case study test” software)… Ohhh and congrats by the way. Hopefully I may be in your shoes in a month or so.

…Just to clarify, the CD I mentioned above did reference the CMR doc in one of the case studies so I knew it was required for the transfer of goods internationally etc however it did not mention anything about different colour copies, or the fact there were 4 of them… Just found this via the trusty Google.

1.red printing for sender
2.blue printing for receiver
3.green imprint on carrier
4.black print on second carrier (if present)

Can anyone confirm if this is accurate, considering it came from Wikipedia?

DM86:

Stanny_1985:

So was that actually one of the 4 options of an answer it gave you?

The CPC CD-ROM I have has no kind of question like that on there, or any of the above mentioned hence why I went in a bit blind… Don’t get me wrong, I am not slagging off the software I have used to guide me by any means as I am sure this type of info is readily available somewhere. I guess I was just naïve in thinking that the software covered everything by the case studies and mock tests - I went through all 30 case studies on my CD twice for revision and I was smashing those mock tests (Just to let people know I used the “The complete LGV & PCV Driver CPC Case study test” software)… Ohhh and congrats by the way. Hopefully I may be in your shoes in a month or so.

…Just to clarify, the CD I mentioned above did reference the CMR doc in one of the case studies so I knew it was required for the transfer of goods internationally etc however it did not mention anything about different colour copies, or the fact there were 4 of them… Just found this via the trusty Google.

1.red printing for sender
2.blue printing for receiver
3.green imprint on carrier
4.black print on second carrier (if present)

Can anyone confirm if this is accurate, considering it came from Wikipedia?

Red - sender’s (consignor’s) copy
Green - driver’s (carrier’s) copy
Blue - receiver’s (consignee’s) copy
White with black border - sender’s (consignor’s) spare copy

Just remember RGB as it’s logical in that order about who gets which copy.

Source of information: “The OFFICIAL DVSA THEORY TEST for Drivers of Large Vehicles” Thirteenth edition 2015, page 404.

sign up to drivingtheory4all if you want to pass this test !!! every single answer is on there and its only £18 for 60 days. it is really really good honestly i couldnt knock it. btw im in no way affiliated with the site lol it just really helped me. on my theory disk there was nothing about CMR - RATIOS - gb domestic hours etc etc but its all on drivingtheory4all.co.uk. DOOOO ITTTTTT