COVID (again) / make sense of it [Merged]

Why another COVID 19 thread?
Make a visit to BBC R4 Any Answers:
Some really interesting stuff, including the Dr early on exhorting people to simply stay at home, but if you’re short of time just go the 2nd half of the programme.

Franglais:
Some really interesting stuff, including the Dr early on exhorting people to simply stay at home, but if you’re short of time just go the 2nd half of the programme.

Triage based on age? Health (smokers… drinkers…) ? Economic prospect? Gender? Religion?

Maybe first come-first served or a coin toss?

There will be many, very emotive and heated discussions about this.

I’d like to stay at home if only I could find and afford to stock up with enough stuff to not have to keep going to the shops to find/buy food for myself and older friends/family.Not even any bread today for the first time in over 20 years of a regular reserved order at the bakers.Then having to stand in risky queues of people to add injury to insult.

Refuse to listen to radio 2 upwards.

Nothing but doom and gloom.
Stopped watching the news. This many dead that many dead. Forget to mention this many survived that many survived.

Propoganda sticking it in every oraface for the world to hear.

I just go about doing what i need to do. I respect everyone elses opinions and fears and keep my distance and do what i need to do to keep people safe.

290,000 deaths worldwide last year with flu.

29000 to date so far with this virus.

Lets see how the figures compare when its all over.

Franglais:

What date for the broadcast Franglais ?
So that I can search for the podcast

pierrot 14:

Franglais:

So that I can search for the podcast

Any Questions broadcast at 20:00 on Friday (27th), any answers is sat (today) with the initial broadcast plus phone and message input from the great unwashed…

pierrot 14:

Here`s a link:
All worth a listen, but for me the young Doctor (Jasmine) speaking at 06.30 spoke well.
As did two people: at 33.45 Diana, followed by a Dr Jenkins.

the nodding donkey:
Triage based on age? Health (smokers… drinkers…) ? Economic prospect? Gender? Religion?

Yeah, well, all up for discussion…unfortunately this may be necessary…

And is everyone keeping current on what is being said about the initial “viral load”? Lots being said, but here is an article from The New Scientist yesterday
newscientist.com/article/22 … -19-worse/
Maybe suggesting Doctors and other health workers, being exposed to greater amounts of the virus will suffer from worse symptoms and worse outcomes. Not certain, but worrying for all those we have caring for us.

njl:
phone and message input from the great unwashed…

“The Great Unwashed”…right…

Franglais:

pierrot 14:

Here`s a link:
All worth a listen, but for me the young Doctor (Jasmine) speaking at 06.30 spoke well.
As did two people: at 33.45 Diana, followed by a Dr Jenkins.

the nodding donkey:

Yeah, well, all up for discussion…unfortunately this may be necessary…

And is everyone keeping current on what is being said about the initial “viral load”? Lots being said, but here is an article from The New Scientist yesterday
newscientist.com/article/22 … -19-worse/
Maybe suggesting Doctors and other health workers, being exposed to greater amounts of the virus will suffer from worse symptoms and worse outcomes. Not certain, but worrying for all those we have caring for us.

njl:
phone and message input from the great unwashed…

y

You missed the link Franglais

[quote="cgscott"o hear.

I just go about doing what i need to do. I respect everyone elses opinions and fears and keep my distance and do what i need to do to keep people safe.
[/quote]
That makes two of us.
Is it really so difficult to show respect to others?

Franglais:

It made me laugh as well.

bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08812gw

Whoops
bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000gt23

cgscott:

Stopped watching the news. This many dead that many dead. Forget to mention this many survived that many survived.

But the cases and death figures are ‘accelerating’ at a frightening rate.To the tune of thousands in a ‘day’ in Italy and Spain combined alone.

‘If’ it’s all real suggest you check the cases v ‘recovered’ figures.Bearing in mind they won’t define exactly what ‘recovered’ means in this case some reports saying no immunity open to reinfection by the same infection as before.

US doctors saying not much chance of ‘recovery’ for anyone reaching the point where they need respirator support regardless of age similar to Italy.Not surprising as the cytokine storm created by the body rejecting this alien ( artificial ? ) bug takes out the liver together with the lungs.Just as it’s designed to.

Do people really listen to this BBC BS ? flipping heck !
Some of the people ringing in need to get a grip.
Not informative at all , just a phone in programme to let people whinge !

Sorry Franglais , but I’m out, jeeeez

pierrot 14:

The R4 has loads of factual programming, but this is one of their phone ins. Normally I don’t like them much, but this one I did find informative.
As I said the first front line Dr starting off calmly, then getting emotional as her tiredness showed through, and she pleaded with the public to stay st home.
Then the two older people, coming to terms with their very high risk, and likelihood of death.
I found it worth the listening time.
If you didn’t, sorry, but we aren’t all the same.

Put BBC on the other day - The only “News” was Coronavirus and third world stuff, and how we should dig deep as usual to bail them out that are yet to have this so-called pandemic reach them…

We’re supposed to be looking inward and dealing with our greatest threat in generations right now.
NOT trying to be the world’s policeman, the world’s benefactor, and the world’s fairy godfather as per usual…

It is high time the rest of the world got off Britain’s teat. The Empire came to an end last century, as did the Nazism we sacrificed that Empire to beat.
I’m not worried in modern times about “WWIII” nor “Rise of Communism” nor Rise of Right-Wingness mis-labled as “Fascism”, nor the imminent demise of Titanic EU.
I am more concerned about how many ordinary people will perish from the collapse in our own economy that is already well under way.

The main damage - has yet to bite. That’s the bit that happened between 1932 and 1936 in the Great Depression.
NO jobs for ANYONE (except working for Gangsters) - simply because the only ones that can afford to employ you - ARE the Gangsters!

pierrot 14:

I’ve stopped listening to.rhe radio now.
As say all bbc stations are doom and gloom.
Yes I know it’s serious
But I don’t want to be reminded of it 24 7 .
The comercial.stations are.just as bad having.phone one. People wishing luck to the nhs key workers etc.
Or people.giving.out sob stories etc.

Have another view of the current situation, here’s Peter Hitchen’s tuppenceworth.

hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/

And yes i agree with President Trump, if we are not careful the cure will be worse than the disease.

edd1974:

pierrot 14:

I’ve stopped listening to.rhe radio now.
As say all bbc stations are doom and gloom.
Yes I know it’s serious
But I don’t want to be reminded of it 24 7 .
The comercial.stations are.just as bad having.phone one. People wishing luck to the nhs key workers etc.
Or people.giving.out sob stories etc.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
i stopped listening to radio long before tinterweb got invented and as soon as i worked out how to download everything from the torrents sites ive never watched live tv( nor ever had a licence) and ive never bought a newspaper on over 40 years.
it really makes no difference to anyones life by not listening or reading.
theres enough guff on here to keep me going with waffle from “experts”. :slight_smile:

Carryfast:

cgscott:

But the cases and death figures are ‘accelerating’ at a frightening rate.To the tune of thousands in a ‘day’ in Italy and Spain combined alone.

‘If’ it’s all real suggest you check the cases v ‘recovered’ figures.Bearing in mind they won’t define exactly what ‘recovered’ means in this case some reports saying no immunity open to reinfection by the same infection as before.

US doctors saying not much chance of ‘recovery’ for anyone reaching the point where they need respirator support regardless of age similar to Italy.Not surprising as the cytokine storm created by the body rejecting this alien ( artificial ? ) bug takes out the liver together with the lungs.Just as it’s designed to.

And so says Doctor, Scientist, Pandemic expert, Carryfast. Get a grip mate this is a totally new and unprecedented problem so perhaps its best to keep the gob shut and leave the advice to the REAL experts.