Covid 19 shielding

hi
I work as class one driver for a supermarket, no problem happy enough working through the Corona virus problems??!!. Two days ago I received a letter from the NHS telling me to stay at home for three months ( I had my spleen removed years ago never been a problem). So took the letter into work and was told I had to do what the letter says, I was sent home fair enough I will get eighty percent of my pay , but I don’t want to sit at home I will take the risk ( I already have been).
Does anybody know the legal side of this if I want to go back now??.

Kinda shot yourself in the foot with that one. As a fellow supermarket driver I would have decided which way I wanted to play it, do I want 3 months off on 80% (100% for my lot) or do I want do keep working for 100% plus any OT that may be kicking around. The decision on that question would have given me the answer to either bin the letter or give to employer. You went ahead and gave it to your employer meaning they have a duty of care to follow the medical advice from the NHS letter and sign you off for 3 months. Trying to self certify yourself back to work in this climate is going to be nigh on impossible. Afraid to say you made your bed and you are going to have to lie in it for the next 3 months.

Yes,you made your bed,but hey,its not so bad is it ,I’m in the same situation,at least you’re protected from coronavirus, who knows what that could have done to you,I’m using the time for all those things I always wanted to do but never had the time…

Are you going to stay indoors (jail) for 3 months (could be extended until a vaccine is found in possibly 2+ years time) to protect your health but have virtually no normal life or are you going to choose to do other :question:

I’ve been off 5 weeks and rightly or wrongly I’m enjoying it, but only by trying to make the best of it, best I can.
The downside of it is I’ve had all this Covid news reports, progress, lack of progress, stats, and basic good old doom & gloom bs, rammed down my neck on the tv news channels and between tv programmes, I ain’t saying I don’t believe it but…I’ve stopped watching it all in fact.
For example, one cheerful ‘‘expert’’ said the other day, there may NEVER be a vaccine, so this could become the new ‘Normal life’ here on after. :open_mouth: :unamused:
I’ve even told my Mrs to stay in, while I do all the shopping ffs, and those supermarkets are now depressing places.

I will be starting back pretty soon, and yeh, I’ll be honest I do have reservations, it ain’t that everything has been sorted, it’s just the same scenario in fact (or worse) as it was when I finished. :neutral_face:

Only thing on the positive side I can console myself with (if that’s the right word, I sound likea right wimp :laughing: :laughing: ) is that I’ve many mates stil working through it, and they are doing fine.

I ain’t easily frightened usually either I must say, but I’m also a realist, …but no doubt after 2 days back on the road,.and trying to keep away from it all, all that stuff on tv will not be relevant to me.

Thing is, if this stuff goes on a lot longer, the only people left will be the giro Jeremy Kyle types who just doss in the house in normal times anyway :unamused: , and those wealthy celebrities who can afford to isolate themselves in their million pound homes, who come on podcasts, telling us …we are all in the SAME boat here. Yeh?..are we ■■■■.!

robroy:
I’ve been off 5 weeks and rightly or wrongly I’m enjoying it, but only by trying to make the best of it, best I can.
The downside of it is I’ve had all this Covid news reports, progress, lack of progress, stats, and basic good old doom & gloom bs, rammed down my neck on the tv news channels and between tv programmes, I ain’t saying I don’t believe it but…I’ve stopped watching it all in fact.
For example, one cheerful ‘‘expert’’ said the other day, there may NEVER be a vaccine, so this could become the new ‘Normal life’ here on after. :open_mouth: :unamused:
I’ve even told my Mrs to stay in, while I do all the shopping ffs, and those supermarkets are now depressing places.

I will be starting back pretty soon, and yeh, I’ll be honest I do have reservations, it ain’t that everything has been sorted, it’s just the same scenario in fact (or worse) as it was when I finished. :neutral_face:

Only thing on the positive side I can console myself with (if that’s the right word, I sound likea right wimp :laughing: :laughing: ) is that I’ve many mates stil working through it, and they are doing fine.

I ain’t easily frightened usually either I must say, but I’m also a realist, …but no doubt after 2 days back on the road,.and trying to keep away from it all, all that stuff on tv will not be relevant to me.

Thing is, if this stuff goes on a lot longer, the only people left will be the giro Jeremy Kyle types who just doss in the house in normal times anyway :unamused: , and those wealthy celebrities who can afford to isolate themselves in their million pound homes, who come on podcasts, telling us …we are all in the SAME boat here. Yeh?..are we [zb].!

Rob that same boat we’re in is called the Titanic , lifeboats only for the rich [emoji6][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent while in furlough

Cowpat:
hi
I work as class one driver for a supermarket, no problem happy enough working through the Corona virus problems??!!. Two days ago I received a letter from the NHS telling me to stay at home for three months ( I had my spleen removed years ago never been a problem). So took the letter into work and was told I had to do what the letter says, I was sent home fair enough I will get eighty percent of my pay , but I don’t want to sit at home I will take the risk ( I already have been).

I got that letter two months ago and took it into my bosses office. Been stuck at home ever since. Fair enough, I took the opportunity to get stuff done that I’d been putting off, but now I’m bored. I rang my place up and asked to go back to work. Start after the bank holiday.

Apparently I’ll have a back to work interview and they’ll ask what, if any, adjustments they can make. The only advantage I may have over you is I dont cab hop and once I’ve cleaned it, theres only me in it again.

The letter is only an advisory, not a legal requirement and if you want to, you can opt out.

I suspect a few folk might be taking the 12 weeks at 80% and then go driving for the agency somewhere else.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks guys for the replys.
Putting it bluntly I f####d up, I took the shielding letter into work for advice being unsure if there any legal obligation on my side to keep off the road.
My advice to anybody reading this who gets the letter is to sit down and think what you want to do before you tell the boss.
Ps I spoke to to a doctor who implied immediate death if I strayed past the front door!!.

Way I see it is they are not sending out these letters for nothing
I’m a reasonably fit and healthy bloke, but if I got a letter telling me that after my med records have been checked out, it’s been decided I am at high risk, why tf would I take a gamble on my life just to drive a ■■■■ truck…and especially if I was getting compensated with 80% of my pay.
If the reason is financial,.well at least if the worst happens you will have died debt free…yippeee! eh? :unamused:
Priorities :bulb:

Cowpat:

If you get it and you die your family have no recourse against your employer and your employer’s insurance could have a reason to refuse to pay out on any life insurance you get as a perk. In fact actually it could be if you’ve your own life insurance policy and die from CV-19 they may have a reason to get out of paying too.

If you’re getting 80% of your pay though why would you not take a free 3 month holiday?

What I don’t understand is, when the NHS and a doctor have advised you to isolate why would you ask for advice from a bunch of random people on an internet forum.

Regardless of how board you may be, the sensible thing to do is to listen to the advice from the medical people.

Sent from my mobile.

I agree entirely with the 2 above posts.
Are you really THAT desperate to get back to work ffs? :unamused:
Do you really think for one second that your employer is going to think any better of you?..and even if he does he will have forgotten about you as soon as you are replaced if it has the effect of you being packed up in a box. :bulb:

I keep saying this over and over again, there is more to life than working, and definitely if it involves driving a ■■■■ truck, …that has never applied more aptly, than it does to this thread.

tachograph:
What I don’t understand is, when the NHS and a doctor have advised you to isolate why would you ask for advice from a bunch of random people on an internet forum.

Regardless of how board you may be, the sensible thing to do is to listen to the advice from the medical people.

Sent from my mobile.

Speak for yourself. I’m a licensed and trained gynaecologist. So I’ll pop off to ‘look into things’, do some poking around, and I’ll return later with my advice. I may be some time.

ezydriver:

tachograph:

Sent from my mobile.

Speak for yourself. I’m a licensed and trained gynaecologist. So I’ll pop off to ‘look into things’, do some poking around, and I’ll return later with my advice. I may be some time.

I also used to be a one, but I only do it now and again these days just to keep my hand in.
In fact I’ve still got my fingers in a few other pies.

Bloke across the road from me is a gynaecologist too. I only discovered that when I saw him decorating his hall from outside the house through his letterbox!

robroy:

ezydriver:

tachograph:

Sent from my mobile.

I also used to be a one, but I only do it now and again these days just to keep my hand in.
In fact I’ve still got my fingers in a few other pies.

Would you record that as rest or other work?

robroy:
Way I see it is they are not sending out these letters for nothing
I’m a reasonably fit and healthy bloke, but if I got a letter telling me that after my med records have been checked out, it’s been decided I am at high risk, why tf would I take a gamble on my life just to drive a [zb] truck…and especially if I was getting compensated with 80% of my pay.
If the reason is financial,.well at least if the worst happens you will have died debt free…yippeee! eh? :unamused:
Priorities :bulb:

I totally agree

So do I.

Just curious, I thought the 80% furlough pay was if your employer had no job for you, and was claiming 80% of your pay from the govt, to keep your job open and you stay at home, ie the coronavirus job retention scheme.

I thought if you were advised to shield, that is basically going on the ‘sick’ where you would get either CSP or SSP depending on your firm and what your sick record was.

A guy at our place has done it, and he’d had a couple of weeks off in Jan, using his sick pay, and as far as i’m aware is on ssp for 12 weeks now.

Please correct me if 'im wrong in any of the above :slight_smile: