Coventry Companies

Dieseldogsix:

Gardner 120:
Oooooh tears to my eyes time … I was a Jag apprentice 11 years in and 10 at Motor Panels and my grandad 38 years at Canley for The Standard - they lived in Tile Hill Lane opposite the factory and lorries went up and down 24 hours a day carrying bodies in from Liverpool and cars out on transporters. Also a nice pic of Rootes there too - top stuff!

From 1965 to 68, my Dad, Don Tibbs and George Stevens used to do the ferrying on nights out of the Standard- Triumph, I used to go with him on a Friday night, happy days.

Gardner 120… do you remember Motor Packing in Torrington Ave?

Don Tibbs was my Dad, I remember going with him to Southampton docks when he was driving an AEC Cartransporter

Alf Fletcher ex BRS Coventry has passed away. Funeral will take place in Rugby on Thursday 25th April. RiP Alf.

Right does anyone have any photo’s or stories of these outfits.
Mortons of Coventry (Mortons BRS)
Brady Transport Coventry
Mousley Trucking, when they were at Siskin Dr
GKN Foundations
Cartransport BRS
Furness and Parker
Progressive Deliveries
Canley Car Deliveries
Motor Packing
Red House Motors
Ellis Greaves

dieseldog6:
Right does anyone have any photo’s or stories of these outfits.
Mortons of Coventry (Mortons BRS)
Brady Transport Coventry
Mousley Trucking, when they were at Siskin Dr
GKN Foundations
Cartransport BRS
Furness and Parker
Progressive Deliveries
Canley Car Deliveries
Motor Packing
Red House Motors
Ellis Greaves

How about Latham’s? Just found an article about one of their drawbar Atki transporters from 1973

Yes I know some of old Latham’s drivers, used to have depot on the Oxford road by the Rootes factory, taken over by Cartransport BRS in the late 70’s, the son Martin was my boss at BRS in 1990.

dieseldog6:
Yes I know some of old Latham’s drivers, used to have depot on the Oxford road by the Rootes factory, taken over by Cartransport BRS in the late 70’s, the son Martin was my boss at BRS in 1990.

Here’s a short article from Comical Motor, dated 16 March 1973 - hope it’s all legible enough. It features a special build Atkinson ‘Raider’ with a Gardner 8LXB engine, GHP 668L.

The wagon later belonged to Donald Sharples of Darwen, a farmer who used it on hay and straw with a drawbar trailer. When he bought it, someone had already had the 240 away, and it had a 180. The giveaway was that there was a 2’ gap between the cab and the headboard, where the 8-pot engine used to stick out behind the cab!

Sister vehicle GHP 669L famously remained in service with Bostock’s of Congleton until the early 2000s, and I think is now preserved.

Great article 240, didn’t know they coupled like that back then, both Coventry reg no’s, My first artic was a Borderer reg no GHP 120N but it had a 220 Rolls Royce Eagle in it, it’s Sister wagon GHP119N had a smash on the old A41 where the Fosse Way crosses it, and was turned into a wrecker by Bill Jinks commercial at Siskin Dr, Baginton. anyone know where they are now? were they scraped.

dieseldog6:
Great article 240, didn’t know they coupled like that back then, both Coventry reg no’s, My first artic was a Borderer reg no GHP 120N but it had a 220 Rolls Royce Eagle in it, it’s Sister wagon GHP119N had a smash on the old A41 where the Fosse Way crosses it, and was turned into a wrecker by Bill Jinks commercial at Siskin Dr, Baginton. anyone know where they are now? were they scraped.

They didn’t usually couple like that, but I think that that was the point of the article.

GHP 120N was last taxed in 1981:

The vehicle details for GHP 120N are:

Date of Liability 01 08 1981
Date of First Registration 01 10 1974
Year of Manufacture 1974
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 0CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Heavy Oil
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Unlicensed
Vehicle Colour BLUE
Vehicle Type Approval null
The information contained on this page is correct at the time of enquiry.

And GHP 119N in 1984:

The vehicle details for GHP 119N are:

Date of Liability 29 08 1984
Date of First Registration 01 10 1974
Year of Manufacture Not Available
Cylinder Capacity (cc) Not Available
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Heavy Oil
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Unlicensed
Vehicle Colour BLUE
Vehicle Type Approval null

All info from DVLA

240, thanks for the info, not a very long life 7 years for GHP 120N, I wonder if it was exported? I still have some photo’s of both of them, after they were painted in Automotive Products colours,while on contract , they were owned by Mousley Trucking of Coventry,who bought them new, that company is now based in Rugby.

Just a short note about that 5th wheel coupling, do you remember the Foden Twin Load? This was an 8-wheeler with a shortened body to accommodate a 5th wheel at the back of the chassis. There was then a short artic trailer towed behind. Didn’t seem to last very long, but when I see a B-Double nowadays it seems like Foden had the idea well ahead of time.

Sprado, yes I do remember them, ICI had some on Atki’s , with 3 small hooper tanks, abit like a Drom in the USA, but I also saw the Foden with the flat decks on th M6.

240, can you get info like that on any vehicle, if so where? maybe you could tell me what happened to a DAF 2800 Turbo EOJ 868V, I used to run Spain and Italy with it.

dieseldog6:
Sprado, yes I do remember them, ICI had some on Atki’s , with 3 small hooper tanks, abit like a Drom in the USA, but I also saw the Foden with the flat decks on th M6.

240, can you get info like that on any vehicle, if so where? maybe you could tell me what happened to a DAF 2800 Turbo EOJ 868V, I used to run Spain and Italy with it.

Yes, it’s very easy - just go to www.dvla.gov.uk and pick your way through to “Vehicle Enquiry”

The ICI motors of which you speak were a pair of Chinese 6 tractors, JUL769/70D, but actually owned by J. Spurling but contracted to ICI. Each had a 7T tank in front of the turntable, and 2 more on the trailer

heres a couple for you:

ELLIS GREAVES. If i remember correctly, they were on a little back road out of Rugby. Went round this sharp right hand bend and there was the yard on the right. Strange place for a heavy haulage co :confused:

R K CRISP from Birmingham. but never heard of CURTIS.

dieseldog6:

Don’t want to labour this point, a bit off thread, but I spent ages yesterday googling Foden Twin-Load and came up with only 3 hits, and none of them pictures only mentions. It appears they were produced post 1964 but for only a short period being an unsuccessful concept. I remember the ICI Atkis, someone posted a picture on here the last time the subject came up.

truckerash:
heres a couple for you:

ELLIS GREAVES. If i remember correctly, they were on a little back road out of Rugby. Went round this sharp right hand bend and there was the yard on the right. Strange place for a heavy haulage co :confused:

R K CRISP from Birmingham. but never heard of CURTIS.

Were R K Crisp from Birmingham? I remember them coming into Fleetwood in the late 1970s, subbing for Pandoro, but I thougt that they were from Southampton.

come on 240 Gardner… you need to go to Specsavers pal :wink:

check the photo with the Curtis Marathon.
What does it say on the tilt■■? :confused: :blush:

Curtis- Hillage were two transport companies that sort of joined up for a while. Malcolm Hillage used to run the Oak Pub in Baginton where I lived, that Marathon was driven by Johnny Hexton I think, who told me he went to the Middle East in it, can any one verify that.
Ellis Greaves yard was on the Fosse Way beween Rugby and Princethorpe.

truckerash:
come on 240 Gardner… you need to go to Specsavers pal :wink:

check the photo with the Curtis Marathon.
What does it say on the tilt■■? :confused: :blush:

I checked with my Labrador :wink: and he thinks he remembers them doing work out of Southampton too… maybe a depot down there■■?

And the B+I van behind the Ellis Greaves motor takes me back a bit too - it’s a long time since B+I wrapped up!

240 Gardner:

dieseldog6:

for a VW fan like myself, that picture is priceless!!

dieseldog6.

Yes Ellis Greaves were indeed on the Road between Rugby and Princethorpe. The yard is still there and is used by a crane hire company now.

Ray.