Coventry Companies

deckboypeggy:
No i do not know of any ex mortons men as owner drivers, Morton laws he was a good man always tried to look out for us chippy men.although union motivated,a lot of the union trouble was from the car /tractor factory people the higher ranking men with differnt agendas and they all went to the same branch meetings,so on reflection i expect they had to go along with them or sink.

i think i remember the company offering units for sale but i had not got the forethought or even the money, after we finished i have never had any contact with any ex mortons men , not even our local chippy men or even as as owner drivers ,as i drifted in to european fridge work in 1982 i did not know existed, so then moved into a differnt world and that is where i stopped however moved around a great deal l always worked for big companies once i had got into a working more than 10 hours mode,it took a while ,but you soon learnet you either did what they said ,legal but long hours.
there were times when after a long day on the meat ,when i used to think i have just done 2 days work in one.if my old work mates could see me they would never believe it.Retired now .would i do it all again ,bits yes, and no,36 hours on the trot no,but i did it with others ,some used to say how long but once you got to a abattoir in Germany or France they were not bothered when you stated your shift,they gave you a dead line to do and they expected it.and you did it, and if it was a swiss tip ,you got in the back and passed the lambs down…so i went full circle.

Morton Laws did become an owner driver. he bought a Spanish Dodge, I did plenty of continental work after working for Mousley until 76, so I know where your coming from, I even went over in one of Mortons MAN’s non sleeper that my Brother had leased of them.

Dieseldog66:

deckboypeggy:
No i do not know of any ex mortons men as owner drivers, Morton laws he was a good man always tried to look out for us chippy men.although union motivated,a lot of the union trouble was from the car /tractor factory people the higher ranking men with differnt agendas and they all went to the same branch meetings,so on reflection i expect they had to go along with them or sink.

i think i remember the company offering units for sale but i had not got the forethought or even the money, after we finished i have never had any contact with any ex mortons men , not even our local chippy men or even as as owner drivers ,as i drifted in to european fridge work in 1982 i did not know existed, so then moved into a differnt world and that is where i stopped however moved around a great deal l always worked for big companies once i had got into a working more than 10 hours mode,it took a while ,but you soon learnet you either did what they said ,legal but long hours.
there were times when after a long day on the meat ,when i used to think i have just done 2 days work in one.if my old work mates could see me they would never believe it.Retired now .would i do it all again ,bits yes, and no,36 hours on the trot no,but i did it with others ,some used to say how long but once you got to a abattoir in Germany or France they were not bothered when you stated your shift,they gave you a dead line to do and they expected it.and you did it, and if it was a swiss tip ,you got in the back and passed the lambs down…so i went full circle.

Morton Laws did become an owner driver. he bought a Spanish Dodge, I did plenty of continental work after working for Mousley until 76, so I know where your coming from, I even went over in one of Mortons MAN’s non sleeper that my Brother had leased of them.

Mo Laws went upto about six motors at one stage,doing general work.
Like deckboy I am retired now,gave up my Licence just over two years back.I said I would renew if I had used it in the first year of retirement never had the need so it ran out.
Certainly couldnt go back to the long hours and early morning,dont even miss work at all,fishing and pottering around and holidays in the sun, beats driving heavies hands down

Yes ,retirement is the best job i had.i live well away from any transit routes so i venture out now and again.
Ibet the drivers who MORTON lAWS HAD NEVER FIDDLED HIM …■■? i get a small pension £34 per month DHL.HOW I DO NOT KNOW?

deckboypeggy:
Yes ,retirement is the best job i had.i live well away from any transit routes so i venture out now and again.
Ibet the drivers who MORTON lAWS HAD NEVER FIDDLED HIM …■■? i get a small pension £34 per month DHL.HOW I DO NOT KNOW?

Even better than being self employed,get up when you want do what you want when you want,only Boss I have now is the Wife

hillage1:

dieseldog6:
Curtis- Hillage were two transport companies that sort of joined up for a while. Malcolm Hillage used to run the Oak Pub in Baginton where I lived, that Marathon was driven by Johnny Hexton I think, who told me he went to the Middle East in it, can any one verify that.
Ellis Greaves yard was on the Fosse Way beween Rugby and Princethorpe.

i can verify that johnny exton drove the LEYLAND pictured (and rightfully named Louise jennifer) to the middle east more than once.

if you have any other pictures of curtis-hillage trucks i would be grateful if you could let me have a copy.

Not Curtis-Hillage but Malcs other company later on in years, Express Freight Services Coventry but depot was at Long Itchington. This was me 1992 at Frontignan France with my little Merc, not a lot of room in one of them.

Nothing more to say really but a couple of famous motors

Hi AZITWAS,YES i like your name very good, i cannot open your picture.maybe you used use photobucket to post??

LOLIPOP would you happen to have had some maroon coloured trucks in the late 70s and a brother ROY? from around Southam AREA?as from nowhere a name just popped up.similar to ROUGH .i just thought . they used to sub a bit from Chippy, case cars .Bull head wharf.south of the river charlton …

deckboypeggy:
Hi AZITWAS,YES i like your name very good, i cannot open your picture.maybe you used use photobucket to post??

LOLIPOP would you happen to have had some maroon coloured trucks in the late 70s and a brother ROY? from around Southam AREA?as from nowhere a name just popped up.similar to ROUGH .i just thought . they used to sub a bit from Chippy, case cars .Bull head wharf.south of the river charlton …

Hi DBP Not me I think you maybe referring to the Huff Bros out of, I think Southam way Roy used to work for Morton`s mainly out of Whitnash,along with another guy Derek.

First pic is Puncy Dan’s, second pic off internet.

image.jpeg

Pearsons open day May 7th.

I remember a company called Redhouse. They were just off the Stoney Stanton Rd in Coventry.

Geoffo:
I remember a company called Redhouse. They were just off the Stoney Stanton Rd in Coventry.

Redhouse Motor Services. R.H.M.S on the headboard, red motors?

pete smith:

Geoffo:

Hi Pete R.H.M.S.thats a blast from the past. I remember them with a lot of Scammells, In fact an old fellow who lived near me drove for them in his younger days, By the name of Harry Vine, Long gone now of course, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

pete smith:

Geoffo:

Hi Pete R.H.M.S.thats a blast from the past. I remember them with a lot of Scammells, In fact an old fellow who lived near me drove for them in his younger days, By the name of Harry Vine, Long gone now of course, Regards Larry.

Hi Larry,
Can’t find any of the Scammell’s but found these, Cheer’s Pete

wide load.jpg

crane-truck-redhouse-web.jpg

Yes Pete, that’s the company.

Good pics too.

hillage1:

dieseldog6:
Curtis- Hillage were two transport companies that sort of joined up for a while. Malcolm Hillage used to run the Oak Pub in Baginton where I lived, that Marathon was driven by Johnny Hexton I think, who told me he went to the Middle East in it, can any one verify that.
Ellis Greaves yard was on the Fosse Way beween Rugby and Princethorpe.

i can verify that johnny exton drove the LEYLAND pictured (and rightfully named Louise jennifer) to the middle east more than once.

if you have any other pictures of curtis-hillage trucks i would be grateful if you could let me have a copy.

Yeah is that you Malc? Well F*** my boots lol

pete smith:

Lawrence Dunbar:

pete smith:

Geoffo:

Hi Larry,
Can’t find any of the Scammell’s but found these, Cheer’s Pete[/quote

The RHMS was originally owned by Tommy Venn in a yard at the back of the Red House pub on the Stoney Stanton Rd,he ran low loaders pulling for Webster & Bennett
The old long nosed Scammels where a bit to be desired,one driver who used the same pub as me said he nearly crapped himself when the steering wheel came of whilst turning off the Stanton Stanton Rd by the old Gardeners cafe.
Some of the drivers where a bit shifty they disappeared when a panda car came in the street.
A story went at one time,that Venn was fond of sacking people for the simplest of reasons,put was made to look a bit of an ■■■ when he sacked someone for standing around and was told he couldnt,when asked why,the answer was hes the milkman waiting for his money.

Hi everyone

I’m trying to track down Nick who wrote some time ago about his father Hughie Hill. Is this the man who used to live in Spitalfields, Bedworth in the very early 1950s??

Howard

Bobby Reardon, who was at one time my Dad’s trailer mate at BRS drove for Red House.

lolipop:

petemcevoy:
Hi. My dad has asked me to post here. He drove for Morton’s and Massey Ferguson in the 60’s and 70’s. He is an Irish chap called Peter McEvoy, he recognises some of the names mentioned in this thread and is interested in catching up. He has some pictures of the lorries he drove etc, I will scan them in next time I’m visiting him and post them here.

Cheers

Remember your Dad,he started on his own I think it was something to do with second hand tractors out Washwood Heath way somewhere

Hi lolipop. Thank you for your reply, sorry it took me so long, my dad was just talking about this again recently. He did go out on his own, in Westwood Heath, where I lived as a child. He has mentioned that before that he was at Masseys on Banner Lane, around 1965

My dad has asked me to try and track down some pictures of 7 massey ferguson 135s across a 40ft trailer. If anyone had anything like this he would really love to see them. He still has pictures he wants me to scan in to show, I will do so next time I visit.

Thanks again!

Pete