Course Payments

I’ve had a letter informing me I am attending a Safe Urban Driving Course, on a Saturday (my days off).

It’s at another depot 28 miles from my normal place of work which would take me an hour each way.

They’ve informed me I will be paid £50, plus £5 meal contribution, plus £0.45/mile diesel for my car.

I’m expected to arrive at 0730 to sign in for an 0800 start, and that it will count towards 7 hours CPC.

So that’s 1 extra hour travel to attend, 30 minutes early to sign in, 7 hours course, 1 extra hour travel to get home = 9 hours 30 minutes on my day off for £55 … equating to £5.79 an hour.

Unbelievable. I’m fuming at the cheek of it.

Thoughts?

First reaction is "Thats awful". Second reaction is that some drivers have to pay from their own pockets for a DCPC course. Im guessing that`s what this is?

Franglais:
First reaction is "Thats awful". Second reaction is that some drivers have to pay from their own pockets for a DCPC course. Im guessing that`s what this is?

No, it’s so they can keep their FORS, it’s just a by product that it counts towards the CPC.

Who has told you that you have to attend, your employer? If so you have two choices: ■■■■ it up and go, or tell them that you already have arrangements on that day and thus will not be there. If you go for the latter, then given that it’s taking place on your regular day off, I imagine that there is very little that they can do about it.

I certainly wouldn’t be giving up a Saturday for £50, that’s for sure.

Minimum wage is £7.20 ffs, yet I’m getting £5.79!

Joke.

Olog Hai:
Who has told you that you have to attend, your employer? If so you have two choices: ■■■■ it up and go, or tell them that you already have arrangements on that day and thus will not be there. If you go for the latter, then given that it’s taking place on your regular day off, I imagine that there is very little that they can do about it.

The letter doesn’t ask me if I can attend. It states “you have been enrolled”.

Oh yeh and the second half of the course involves riding a push bike around Leicester city centre.

I bet it rains. :confused:

I’m not wearing a ■■■■■■ helmet. They can think again if they think I’m wearing a ■■■■■■ helmet.

Olog Hai:
Who has told you that you have to attend, your employer? If so you have two choices:

Or a 3rd choice unite with your fellow drivers and say you won’t do the course on a Saturday unless you are paid at enhanced weekend rates or run the course during the week and pay a standards days pay.

Thinking about it you’re stuffed, just have to accept the inevitable.

Tris:
Oh yeh and the second half of the course involves riding a push bike around Leicester city centre.

I’m not wearing a [zb] helmet. They can think again if they think I’m wearing a [zb] helmet.

Tris:

Olog Hai:

Like I say, it’s up to you what you do, but given what financial ‘reward’ that they are expecting you to sacrifice a Saturday for, if it was me the letter would go in the bin and that would be the end of it.

The problem you may have is that some of your colleagues will attend regardless.

muckles:
Or a 3rd choice unite with your fellow drivers and say you won’t do the course on a Saturday unless you are paid at enhanced weekend rates or run the course during the week and pay a standards days pay.

From what I read on here, you and I have both been around the block a bit in haulage and I am sure that we both know that the ‘unite with your fellow drivers’ is where that would fall apart.

Olog Hai:

Tris:

Olog Hai:

Like I say, it’s up to you what you do, but given what financial ‘reward’ that they are expecting you to sacrifice a Saturday for, if it was me the letter would go in the bin and that would be the end of it.

The problem you may have is that some of your colleagues will attend regardless.

Of course they will. I have some banking to do on the Saturday, so will require to finish early on the Friday if I’m going to attend.

Olog Hai:

muckles:

From what I read on here, you and I have both been around the block a bit in haulage and I am sure that we both know that the ‘unite with your fellow drivers’ is where that would fall apart.

Yep hence the next line :wink:

muckles:
Thinking about it you’re stuffed, just have to accept the inevitable.

Tris:

What happens if you cant ride a bike ■■ talking 'bout the wheeled variety not the village one … :slight_smile:

Tris:

I live in Leicester - what Saturday will you be riding :question:

Tris:

I’m not wearing a [zb] helmet. They can think again if they think I’m wearing a [zb] helmet.

PMSL Don’t forget to tuck your trousers in your socks :grimacing:

And just think, the boss and accountant were cutting into nice juicy steaks whilst they discussed the probable minimum legal remuneration they had to give you during their working lunch! :smiley:

Why it shouldn’t be the proper wages rates is just beyond me… :unamused:

ROG:

Tris:

I live in Leicester - what Saturday will you be riding :question:

March 23rd, I’ll be at the back of the convoy smoking a ■■■.

yt03:

Tris:

PMSL Don’t forget to tuck your trousers in your socks :grimacing:

Pity they sacked the 30 stone driver, would’ve been hilarious seeing the bike snap under his weight.

raymundo:

Tris:

What happens if you cant ride a bike ■■ talking 'bout the wheeled variety not the village one … :slight_smile:

Dunno, as far as I’m aware everyone’s doing it. We’ve got one driver who’s mid 70’s. :laughing: