Courious about your opinions

Opinions like that: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80799#p1090646 are becoming more and more popular. Trucking is no longer romantic job, it’s just the struggle against idiots behind their computer screens in the office.

So I have an article for you: gazetae.com/artykuly/closely-watched-trucks

What do you think? Is it exagerrated for you, or it’s just how the haulage industry starts to look like?

That is a very good article - talk about the truth!

Good read that. seems to hit the nail on the head alright :slight_smile:

Sat in a layby getting rocked by passing traffic, and thinking “you and me both, brother…”

m4rky:

+1

Great article!

Red Squirrel:

m4rky:

+1

+2

Well put Orys - some of the English isn’t quite right, so only 9/10.

The huge engine of the enormous eighteen-wheeled juggernaut roars as it negotiates the hairpin bends on the way up the steep mountain road. Inside the cab a microphone from a CB radio hangs over the dashboard. Behind the wheel a muscular driver, his eyes shielded from the glare of the sun by his baseball cap, neglectfully chews his toothpick; his attention divided between the amazing views through the windscreen and the ■■■■ young hitch-hiker on the passenger seat. He is not in a rush, so he will probably decide to take a break when they reach the summit, where they will park in a secluded spot to sit on the still warm bonnet of his truck and watch the sun set over a distant sea… This is a life many teenage boys dream about. But, as is usually the case with dreams, the reality is very different…

See what I mean? :smiley:

Ironic isn’t it? For all the sometimes unpleasant comments about Polish drivers that are put out on this forum, it takes one of them to sum up the driver’s job so eloquently in English that we can all understand and agree with! :wink:

Excellent article.

That would be a nice article for a motorists magazine or website Orys.

I know people complain about digicards and other modern systems but I prefer to have them than some Manager saying ‘just tip that off the card’ like in the good old days or chasing my flysheet down Gunness Wharf on a windy day.

There are people who are far more experienced and cleverer than me on TNUK that will tell you that truck driving can be a fairly stress free and simple job as long as you know what you are doing. I agree with them.

If you think about the controlled environment that office, factory and warehouse workers have to deal with I don’t think we do too badly. At least we get a change of scene and if you are as daft as me, still look forward to going to work each day.

W

Thanks for all nice words. :slight_smile:

It is a very well written piece :smiley: I must be back in the dark ages but do you think we are badly paid, and yes I know we put lots of hours in but I couldnt earn what I earn anywhere else in a given week?

Excellant article Orys. You have managed to put into words, what an awful lot of us are thinking.

What do you think of my edit then Orys?

AlexWignall:
That would be a nice article for a motorists magazine or website Orys.

I know people complain about digicards and other modern systems but I prefer to have them than some Manager saying ‘just tip that off the card’ like in the good old days or chasing my flysheet down Gunness Wharf on a windy day.

There are people who are far more experienced and cleverer than me on TNUK that will tell you that truck driving can be a fairly stress free and simple job as long as you know what you are doing. I agree with them.

If you think about the controlled environment that office, factory and warehouse workers have to deal with I don’t think we do too badly. At least we get a change of scene and if you are as daft as me, still look forward to going to work each day.

W

I agree with this, lorry driving is still a great job.

The article was a good read but too negative.

Excellent article, probably should be handed out to anyone thinking of getting a licence.

quote=“orys”]Thanks for all nice words. :slight_smile:
[/quote]
A very well written article orys,well done.
regards dave

Written by one who knows. V. good. English not too bad (that is intended as a compliment!), not that I was checking particularly. Not sure about “Why is it that not many truckers would tell you bad things about the job they do?” after looking at this site! Keep up the good work.

Santa:
What do you think of my edit then Orys?

Sounds better off course. I won’t change it now it’s already published.

It will be years and years, if ever, that I could compete with native English speaker. This piece was also more difficult because it’s not written from scratch in English but it was translated from Polish - I found translating more challenging since you have stick to the original…

Well done Orys… I’d be interested in hearing what reactions you get from readers of that piece.