Courious about your opinions

orys:

Santa:
What do you think of my edit then Orys?

Sounds better off course. I won’t change it now it’s already published.

It will be years and years, if ever, that I could compete with native English speaker. This piece was also more difficult because it’s not written from scratch in English but it was translated from Polish - I found translating more challenging since you have stick to the original…

Now come on your writing competes with a lot of native English speakers already, don’t put yourself down. Your posts on here for instance in my opinion are some of the most well written. Even though I may not agree with a good few of them :wink:

As for your article yes I enjoyed it but like anything if your prepared to look hard for it the job can still be a bit romantic. I plod around in my own little world looking at great scenery often stopping for a break to enjoy it. Only the other day I stopped for a walk on the beach in North Wales during a break! I also take interesting routes that take my fancy. If there’s a direct route through some mountains or a motorway route I’ll go the direct one. But I had to look long and hard for a job like this. And they almost don’t exist in the UK anymore.

Very well written

I completely agree

Cheers
Owen

orys:
Opinions like that: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80799#p1090646 are becoming more and more popular. Trucking is no longer romantic job, it’s just the struggle against idiots behind their computer screens in the office.

So I have an article for you: gazetae.com/artykuly/closely-watched-trucks

What do you think? Is it exagerrated for you, or it’s just how the haulage industry starts to look like?

Well its definatley written from a Polish perspective…
As you can see, it is very carefully described in the European law and the simplified results of the bureaucrat’s work may be found in a 58 paged leaflet issued by the institution responsible for enforcing these regulations — the British VOSA.

…maybe even from the perspective of a Pole visiting Britain !!! :laughing: :laughing:
And then i realised, you penned it !! :laughing: :laughing:

well done orys hit the nail on the head there :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Nice Article Orys…even linked it on FB. :wink:

That is brilliant, its best to read it in a Polish accent though. :smiley:

I thought it was excellent Orys. It reminded me of some of the articles you find tucked away in the better newspapers. Sure there was the odd bit that didn’t read quite right, but nothing so bad that it detracted from what you we trying to say
And you might have over done the down side a bit, but for if somebody who had no knowledge of the haulage industry reading it would given them some idea of them idea of the job of your average truck driver, without all that “you must respect us, as we bring you everything” that seems to be the norm when trying to give joe public our side of the story.

truckerdan155:
That is brilliant, its best to read it in a Polish accent though. :smiley:

I can’t read it in a Polish accent, as it always sounds like Borat. Nice!

Thanks for that nice words again.

I think I owe you an explanation of something: the original version of this article (in Polish) was issued some time ago.

It all started from that in a Polish media there were series of articles/tv reportages about how good to be a trucker, how romantic it is etc. My editor asked me “you know the truth, would you like to write a piece for us giving another side of the coin”? So I did.

I agree with switchlogic (here, here!) that the job still can be romantic and that the article was a bit one-sided, but this is because it was in some way answer to the other ones which could be seen in Polish press recently.

You might be right, I could think about this before and instead of just plain translation amend this for an English-speaking reader who are not familiar with the overall picture of the trucker in Polish media. But it’s now too late.

EastAnglianTrucker:
Well done Orys… I’d be interested in hearing what reactions you get from readers of that piece.

If you mean reaction from the Polish reader, well…

I feel bad about it, but: gazetae.com/artykuly/ciezaro … m-nadzorem it has 4,7 of 5 in readers rates and it was the most popular article when we started the portal few months ago.

As for the Polish truckers, as I asked for the opinion on a Polish forum and there were some opinions that it’s good and well balanced, along with some opinion that I exagerated this bit about invigilation, tracking and everything. It’s understandable, many Polish truckers still drive for small outfits, they don’t know the life of a supermarket drivers etc.

Apart of that I got my typical share of what idiot I am, that I have completely no idea about the subject, that it’s clear that I was never behind the wheel of anything bigger than Polonez, that they all know it better, that they would write it better, that it’s boring and noone would like to read it etc. Polish folklor standard. That’s why I prefer trucknetUK :wink:

orys:
Apart of that I got my typical share of what idiot I am, that I have completely no idea about the subject, that it’s clear that I was never behind the wheel of anything bigger than Polonez, that they all know it better, that they would write it better, that it’s boring and noone would like to read it etc. Polish folklor standard. That’s why I prefer trucknetUK :wink:

You mean there are people over there who haven’t a clue or who are trying to practice one-upmanship too? Seems peeps are pretty much the same the world over.