Coupling up to a trailer

What happens Berty is that we get lazy. I used to always get out and check the height of the 5th wheel was correct. Now I have a little bit of experience under my belt, I simply drop my lift axle(if it’s up), go under enough so that I know my 5th wheel is under the trailer but ahead of the pin, lift her up and simply reverse into the pin.

You will get to know after a while mate by simply looking in your mirror where your unit is in relation to the trailer. But as others have said, it’s the pricks who ram into the trailers relying on the slide rails that often come a cropper.

Cheers all… I knew I was doing it right anyway but couldn’t understand why haven’t seen others do it I mean if the trailer brake wasn’t on for whatever reason and the thing rolled back it sure would be one he’ll of an embarrasing situation on your hands right? I picked up a trailer the other day in rugby and the thing was that high off the ground not even my air suspension could get high enough so I had to wind the legs down in low gear which took ages… How the he’ll it was dropped that high I have no idea

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

The trailer was probably dropped by a Scania with it’s mid lift axle up. Were you in a Volvo by any chance??

I found that I couldn’t get the pin with the FH’s if a Scanny had dropped it high.

stevieboy308:
You do whatever you feel comfortable with

That’s about the crux of it, it’s when you start dong things differently because of peer pressure or supposed “cool factor” that you will inevitably drop a huge bollock!

eagerbeaver:
What happens Berty is that we get lazy. I used to always get out and check the height of the 5th wheel was correct. Now I have a little bit of experience under my belt, I simply drop my lift axle(if it’s up), go under enough so that I know my 5th wheel is under the trailer but ahead of the pin, lift her up and simply reverse into the pin.

You will get to know after a while mate by simply looking in your mirror where your unit is in relation to the trailer. But as others have said, it’s the pricks who ram into the trailers relying on the slide rails that often come a cropper.

We don’t have slide rails. I always drop my suspension before I back under, get halfway, and lift all the way up. Then back under.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Berty:
Cheers all… I knew I was doing it right anyway but couldn’t understand why haven’t seen others do it I mean if the trailer brake wasn’t on for whatever reason and the thing rolled back it sure would be one he’ll of an embarrasing situation on your hands right? I picked up a trailer the other day in rugby and the thing was that high off the ground not even my air suspension could get high enough so I had to wind the legs down in low gear which took ages… How the he’ll it was dropped that high I have no idea

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

There’s every chance it’s just ■■■■■■ the air out, or dropped empty and not enough air in it to keep it at ride height and therefore raised the nose. Before you start winding next time, make sure the trailer brake is on, red airline on, raise the trailer suspension to drop the nose of it

eagerbeaver:
it’s the pricks who ram into the trailers relying on the slide rails that often come a cropper.

Ironically it’s those ‘relying on the lifting ramps’ who aren’t going to be the ones putting a trailer through the back of the cab. :wink: Unlike those dropping the unit below the the trailer to save a bit of grease getting on the lines etc.

Carryfast:

eagerbeaver:
it’s the pricks who ram into the trailers relying on the slide rails that often come a cropper.

Ironically it’s those ‘relying on the lifting runners’ who aren’t going to be the ones putting a trailer through the back of the cab. :wink:

“Those” will have a clunking surprise if they do this with one of the majority of units that doesn’t have ramps. The sounds of the leading edge of the trailer smacking into the back of the chassis :laughing:

James the cat:

Carryfast:

eagerbeaver:

Ironically it’s those ‘relying on the lifting runners’ who aren’t going to be the ones putting a trailer through the back of the cab. :wink:

“Those” will have a clunking surprise if they do this with one of the majority of units that doesn’t have ramps. The sounds of the leading edge of the trailer smacking into the back of the chassis :laughing:

Ramps are bolted to the top of the chassis not level with it and no ramps then it’s the forks on the fifth wheel that are supposed to be there to lift the trailer.In no case should the trailer be low enough or unit high enough to hit the chassis going under a trailer. :bulb:

Berty:
but I do get some funny looks sometimes…

As soon as you start doing things to avoid people looking at you funny it wont be long afterwards that you rip the suzzies off, smash the lights on a too high trailer or drop a trailer on its nose.
Forget if anyone is looking at you funny. Who cares what they think? If someone doesnt have the balls to say something to your face its not really that important anyway.
I always did it the way I was taught and I never damaged anything apart from one light cluster which happened due to being distracted when backing up.
The guys who all think they know it better and give funy looks will usually be the ones who come a cropper. Anyone with a proper head on their shoulders lets someone do it their own way and doesnt look down at anyone who does it differently.
Do it the way you want to ensure you remember everything (esp your numberplate. you’ll only once stare at a trailer you just unhitched after parking on a bay and wonder if theres anyway to move it forward a foot and a half to get your plate off without having to hook the whole ■■■■ lot back up again!)

Carryfast:

James the cat:

Carryfast:

eagerbeaver:

Ramps are bolted to the top of the chassis not level with it and no ramps then it’s the forks on the fifth wheel that are supposed to be there to lift the trailer.In no case should the trailer be low enough or unit high enough to hit the chassis going under a trailer. :bulb:

The fith wheel trailing edge isn’t either razor sharp nor flush with the chassis. Reverse into that with a trailer slightly above chassis height and it’ll stop quite nicely against the fith wheel.

Some of the ramps I have come across were not always on top of the chassis, some ran slightly lower at the rear. Just my experience.

Carryfast:

eagerbeaver:

Ironically it’s those ‘relying on the lifting ramps’ who aren’t going to be the ones putting a trailer through the back of the cab. :wink: Unlike those dropping the unit below the the trailer to save a bit of grease getting on the lines etc.

I know it’s a concept you can’t get your head around!! But you drop, then lift, maybe the penny might drop this time!! Suspension goes down, suspension goes up, it’s that simple

stevieboy308:

Carryfast:

eagerbeaver:

I know it’s a concept you can’t get your head around!! But you drop, then lift, maybe the penny might drop this time!! Suspension goes down, suspension goes up, it’s that simple

You’re talking to someone that can’t get past AEC Matadors and Guy big Js. If you tell him half the units are equipado sin Rampas he’ll blink at you as if you’ve just told him the Earth isn’t a disc.

stevieboy308:

Carryfast:

eagerbeaver:

As I read it the idea is to minimise the movement of the fifth wheel against the trailer to save shifting a bit of grease.Which means putting the fifth wheel under a high trailer relative to the unit.Then guessing where it is relative to the pin and stopping in time then lifting it.All well before it either reaches the jaws thereby possibly causing a miscouple or damages the jaws when it’s lifted,or the trailer goes through the back of the cab.Remind us again what’s the worse that can happen in the unlikely case of a trailer being too low with or without ramps.

Carryfast:
Remind us again what’s the worse that can happen in the unlikely case of a trailer being too low

It has to go on anti depressants,cant do its job properly and needs lots of love and reassurance to get its spirits back up?

Carryfast:

stevieboy308:

Carryfast:

eagerbeaver:

As I read it the idea is to minimise the movement of the fifth wheel against the trailer to save shifting a bit of grease.Which means putting the fifth wheel under a high trailer relative to the unit.Then guessing where it is relative to the pin and stopping in time then lifting it.All well before it either reaches the jaws thereby possibly causing a miscouple or damages the jaws when it’s lifted,or the trailer goes through the back of the cab.Remind us again what’s the worse that can happen in the unlikely case of a trailer being too low with or without ramps.

I think it’s a good job you don’t get anywhere near a truck anymore, if you can’t judge when you’re under a trailer, especially as most trailers have a deep pin without shooting the pin, the last place you wanna be for all our sakes is trying to steer it

As many have said keep doing what you are doing nowt wrong with it I still get out & check if I am ok but normally drop suspension go under raise suspension get out check then back under until hear & feel the pin is in then get out & check it is put clip in

I am lucky as the trailer break comes on auto when uncouple on most of the trailer I use

This worked well not so long ago when I dropped a loaded trailer in the yard connected up correctly yep had checked the 5th wheel was in I went to pull away trailer stayed unit moved fortunately there was no damage & we managed to raise trailer slowly cctv that was around showed I had done everything correct I did phone my boss told him what happened he was fine about it asked a few questions np no come back so it covers you if in doubt

stevieboy308:
I think it’s a good job you don’t get anywhere near a truck anymore, if you can’t judge when you’re under a trailer, especially as most trailers have a deep pin without shooting the pin, the last place you wanna be for all our sakes is trying to steer it

If it’s all supposedly about the minimising of grease being wiped off the fifth wheel against the trailer you’re not judging when ‘it’s under the trailer’.You’re obviously judging the difference between the pin reaching the forks of the fifth wheel v the jaws.Which is obviously even more a case of guesswork with a deep pin.As for doing that with a zb auto box without any clutch control over where it actually ends up carry on.Bearing in mind all the comments about units which seem to have had trailers hit their cabs which I don’t ever remember in my time. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Carryfast:

stevieboy308:

If it’s all supposedly about the minimising of grease being wiped off the fifth wheel against the trailer you’re not judging when ‘it’s under the trailer’.You’re obviously judging the difference between the pin reaching the forks of the fifth wheel v the jaws.Which is obviously even more a case of guesswork with a deep pin.As for doing that with a zb auto box without any clutch control over where it actually ends up carry on.Bearing in mind all the comments about units which seem to have had trailers hit their cabs which I don’t ever remember in my time. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Your time driving vacuum sweepers?

Carryfast:

stevieboy308:

You do know if people did it properly and after raising the unit got out and checked the aim of the pin against the fith wheel this wouldn’t happen? It’s people who don’t do the job properly who ■■■■ it up. People it seems who would be well suited to your agricultural old method. Those dirty of suzie types who refuse to do the job properly so they need baby ramps to run up. Diddums.