Coupling up to a trailer

Now most of you know I’m new to this class 1 malarky and after 4 weeks in the job Id say I’m doing ok… but something has been bugging me! When I was taught to couple up to a trailer I was taught to reverse up to it leave a gap, get out and check if the trailer brake is on and check the height of the fifth wheel but I never see any others drivers this. Not just at stobarts but other company’s as well so I ask you is it something that is taught but in reality unnecessary? I always check the trailer brake cus that’s the way I was learned but I do get some funny looks sometimes…

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Keep doing things the way you do Berty and you’ll get it right every time . Those who give you funny looks usually end up with the trailer on it’s knees or rammed into the back of the cab in their haste . Dave

rigsby:
Keep doing things the way you do Berty and you’ll get it right every time . Those who give you funny looks usually end up with the trailer on it’s knees or rammed into the back of the cab in their haste . Dave

Cheers bud… A few of our units have damaged wind reflectors I assume caused by missing the pin?

Berty:

rigsby:

Cheers bud… A few of our units have damaged wind reflectors I assume caused by missing the pin?

My old boss recons the damage caused too the air deflector , back of cab , a-frame on my old truck wasn’t caused by agency driver running over pin , but by d/d hitting modified a - frame I had on my truck , was told too take all the load binders off it , and according too him he knew everything about everything so he must be right :unamused: .

As above keep doing it only takes a minute longer do it right saves a lot of ■■■■■■■■ at the end of the day :wink:

As you were Berty. You’re doing it correctly.

Most of the issues seem to be caused by people listening to all the bs about the trailer being at a higher level than the fifth wheel to stop it wiping a bit of grease off the fifth wheel. :unamused:

Keep doing it that way for now its foolproof.

All machines operated by competant individuals with they’re hands/feet are operated by feel, when you have gained experience you can back up to the trailer with you’re mirrors you will feel for contact if the trailer is heavy or landed to low you may need to lower the axle, if they’re is no contact stop and lift the axle until you see the trailer lift, stop lifting then back under slowly engage the pin gently (no need to slam it like club plant pot do) lift the axle till the legs are off the ground and tug forward twice with a moderate amount of force in bottom gear without monging the clutch.

When landing the trailer unless you do heavy work wind the legs to the ground then back up 2 full turns of the winding gear, disengage the pin pull forward slightly then lower the axle wait a couple of seconds for the axle to lower then move away, try not to land the trailers too low or too high simple really.

You are doing the right thing. The guys who don’t get out and check could be picking up a trailer that they dropped there and know the height hasn’t changed, or even looking and feeling for the trailer sliding up the skids onto their 5th wheels, but the best bet is to carry on how you are, sod the funny looks.

mike68:
Keep doing it that way for now its foolproof.

All machines operated by competant individuals with they’re hands/feet are operated by feel, when you have gained experience you can back up to the trailer with you’re mirrors you will feel for contact if the trailer is heavy or landed to low you may need to lower the axle, if they’re is no contact stop and lift the axle until you see the trailer lift, stop lifting then back under slowly engage the pin gently (no need to slam it like club plant pot do) lift the axle till the legs are off the ground and tug forward twice with a moderate amount of force in bottom gear without monging the clutch.

When landing the trailer unless you do heavy work wind the legs to the ground then back up 2 full turns of the winding gear, disengage the pin pull forward slightly then lower the axle wait a couple of seconds for the axle to lower then move away, try not to land the trailers too low or too high simple really.

Of course if you haven’t got adjustable suspension you may need to wind the landing gear up/ down :slight_smile:

Always worth having a walk around before coupling, no point in connecting up a trailer that you’re going to have to defect.

Berty:
Now most of you know I’m new to this class 1 malarky and after 4 weeks in the job Id say I’m doing ok… but something has been bugging me! When I was taught to couple up to a trailer I was taught to reverse up to it leave a gap, get out and check if the trailer brake is on and check the height of the fifth wheel but I never see any others drivers this. Not just at stobarts but other company’s as well so I ask you is it something that is taught but in reality unnecessary? I always check the trailer brake cus that’s the way I was learned but I do get some funny looks sometimes…

Keep doing it the way you are and you can’t go wrong. I personally always check the park break even with the new trls that automatically come on when dropped. Then I back up raise the air on the unit, that way you won’t miss the pin and the legs are off the ground ready for the pull test and it make life easier when winding the leg up.

As you are. That 1 min walk round before hooking up might save you a lot of bother , could be a fitter checking something under the trailer + try park brakes don’t always com on automatically when the air lines dropped, as for the legs as Dillon says and that way your less likely to damage the legs .

When dropping the trailer…

Leave the winding handle hanging, no need to put it back in the carrier.

Keep doing it that way Berty it’s what I do, I also check for any obvious defects while I’m at it such as wheel nuts, flat or bold tyres as you don’t want to hook up to a trailer only to find it has a defected tyre, also when putting the dog clip in I quickly check the pin is across ok again takes all of about 3 seconds but remember to keep your head down .

yourhavingalarf:
When dropping the trailer…

Leave the winding handle hanging, no need to put it back in the carrier.

I would say there is if it’s going to be shunted as they wouldn’t touch the handle they’d just raise the fifth wheel .

Carry on as you are, plenty of drivers bypass procedures when picking up trailers, especially checking height and the trailer brake, which is fine if you know for a fact the height is ok and you remember to put the hand brake on before connecting airlines.
I think the biggest mistake a lot of drivers make after leaving handbrake off is not removing the keys after the tug test.

I know a few guys who don’t check and personally, I don’t think it’s a good idea. I mentioned it to a mate last week who doesn’t bother checking when he couples a trailer and I asked him if he ever does check and he said no because the company use all the same tractors and trailers so there’s no problem. I didn’t argue the point with him but I would stick to the routine of what you’re doing as it becomes second nature to be part of your pre-couple checks and if you end up working with different firms/ vehicles/ trailers etc. then you’re not going to have the sort of problem my mate could have if he changed jobs or if the company started to mix units and trailers.

Starting with the right habits and procedure and sticking to them is easier to live with than trying to undo maybe years of bad ones.

bald bloke:
I would say there is if it’s going to be shunted as they wouldn’t touch the handle they’d just raise the fifth wheel .

Eh?

Sorry, I don’t follow…Shunters don’t wind legs up or only occaisionally.

yourhavingalarf:

bald bloke:

Eh?

Sorry, I don’t follow…Shunters don’t wind legs up or only occaisionally.

Their 5th wheel goes high enough to lift the legs.

The hand brake (or lack of) caught me a couple of times at the start. 1 of which was a very close call between a wall and the front of my cab.

It makes you check it now though. Without fail. :smiley: :smiley:

You do whatever you feel comfortable with, I personally check the height by lowering the unit suspension, backing part way under, then lift the unit suspension, if I see the trailer rising then I know the height is fine, there’s no weight on the legs if you’re not bang on lined up and for the tug test