Council overkill

What ever next .

standard.co.uk/news/london/i … 89202.html

This will only work if they make all those cyclists also spend half a day driving an HGV.

retires to a safe distance to watch the fireworks

Wouldn’t be a bad idea ride along in a HGV for half a day let them see the other side of it at least the comments on the news feed realist and say alot of cyclist are at fault

The ironic thing is that article shows a man filtering between trucks, which is never going to end well.

In all seriousness, what if a driver can’t ride a bike or has a health problem that prevents him/her doing so.

And who provides the cycle and pays for the driver to spend four hours riding about (in the rain).

Do you get your Cycling Proficiency Badge after :laughing: :laughing:

And lastly, as drivers, we would know how to behave in heavy traffic with trucks all around - there’s more truckers who can ride a bike than cyclists who drive HGV’s.

Pointless political posturing.

They’re doing because they can, they have more controls over building contracts so can force businesses to do this if they want the work. It would be good if any business that tenders for a contract in islington adds a bit to cover the training.
They can’t do the same for cyclists because how are you going to get them to do it and anyway its good politics at the moment.

Iam linking this with no actual comment or opinion from myself.
I don’t follow this site at all, it’s just something which came across my feed.

It’s sort of interesting to say the least.

bikebiz.com/news/read/hgv-ma … ory/015772

And buying a pint of milk could be fatal.

Interesting how the two videos featured don’t actually prove anything.

The first one shows the driver using a bus lane, which according to the signs is only in operation at certain times. No evidence of what time the “offence” happened.

The second one where the driver jumps the red light doesn’t actually show it either, the vehicle could have been over the stop line and entitled to go.

Not saying they are whiter than white, but it looks like someone is trying to make out they actually went out intending to maim cyclists.

I don’t see a problem with it myself, at the very least it would give some drivers an idea of what it’s like outside their bubble. Some organisations are running schemes where cyclists do go out in trucks to get the drivers perspective, it’s just not headline grabbing enough. I would have to say if you aren’t fit enough to ride a bike then you shouldn’t be driving a large vehicle, we aren’t talking professional standard here just riding the streets in towns.

Slackbladder:
I don’t see a problem with it myself, at the very least it would give some drivers an idea of what it’s like outside their bubble. Some organisations are running schemes where cyclists do go out in trucks to get the drivers perspective, it’s just not headline grabbing enough. I would have to say if you aren’t fit enough to ride a bike then you shouldn’t be driving a large vehicle, we aren’t talking professional standard here just riding the streets in towns.

I’ve no problems with trying to get different road users to see the road from different point of view, including truck drivers trying out cycling, but its the tone used by those introducing it, the near compulsary nature and the onesided point of view, of this scheme that annoys me.

Me and the missus do ride bikes occasionally but never on the road. It goes on a bike rack then I drive to a particular spot then keep to dedicated routes well away from the roads. I wouldn’t ride on the roads because I simply don’t want to. Neither do I need to spend half a day on the roads on a bike - this really should be the cyclist spending half a day in a truck…it is the cyclist who needs educating as to where to position themselves etc.

So whilst on this ‘training course’, if the HGV driver who’s riding the bike gets knocked off by another truck, who’s at fault?

Would send the courts into meltdown!

because it is the cyclist that puts themself in the wrong place all the time, and the unfortunate lorry driver has to suffer the consequences, i found this article more interesting

standard.co.uk/showbiz/im-a- … lery&ino=1

shuttlespanker:
because it is the cyclist that puts themself in the wrong place all the time, and the unfortunate lorry driver has to suffer the consequences, i found this article more interesting

standard.co.uk/showbiz/im-a- … lery&ino=1

yeah me too, i’d go for number 1

Tarrman:
So whilst on this ‘training course’, if the HGV driver who’s riding the bike gets knocked off by another truck, who’s at fault?

This obviously wouldn’t happen would it. The all seeing well positioned driver on a bike wouldn’t put themselves in a position to get hit & the all seeing, well positioned, patient driver wouldn’t get into a place to hit them. All good.

trampyjoe:
This will only work if they make all those cyclists also spend half a day driving an HGV.

retires to a safe distance to watch the fireworks

I even think the people who judge us should also do the same, how many coppers or judges have ever taken a fully freighted full length artic through the centre of London!
They are judging us as a car driver, because they are clueless when it comes down to what we can or cant do in those vehicles!
It should be investigated by independent truck experts, just like what happens when there is a train plane or shipping incident, a copper doesnt have the expertise to come to a conclusion as to why XYZ happened! and nor does a judge!

Slackbladder:

Tarrman:

This obviously wouldn’t happen would it. The all seeing well positioned driver on a bike wouldn’t put themselves in a position to get hit & the all seeing, well positioned, patient driver wouldn’t get into a place to hit them. All good.

I meant it in jest :smiley:

I was aware of that man, It’s not an unusual scenario though. There are a few on here that do it regularly, cycle & drive that is, not hit cyclists.

having to drive in London a on a regular basis, I thing one of the major problems is everyone is in such a hurry, impatience of both driver and cyclist makes for a recipe for disaster. when ever I go into London I drive it with kid gloves!!! I would sooner wait than try and push through, if it takes me 1/2 hr or 1 hr longer so be it, at least I know I have not killed anyone. if a planner was on my back the answer would be “it will take as long as it takes” fortunately I don’t have that problem on the whole, if the boss does ring and asks why its taken so long he always gets the same answer “because its London” now he doesn’t bother asking. I WILL NOT NOW OR EVER BE PUSHED that is when mistakes happen :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: