Could you cope with no mobile phone?

Had we never had mobile phone how as truck drivers would we cope, can any of you remember looking for a red box with some where to park near by. Never having a transport manager asking you where you are 24 hours a day? never having the WIFE know where you are.Oh how simple life would be but would it??

I can survive quite adequately without a mobile 'phone - in fact I do… I absolutely loathe the things and all they stand for. :imp:

Double edged sword i think. Sometimes they’re the handiest things in the world other times a pain in the arse.

A few years ago daughter no.2 dropped mine in my cup of tea and so i had to go a fortnight without it while it was repaired. Felt like my right arm had been cut off especially as i had no cab phone either, but after a while i got used to being out of contact and in the end quite enjoyed it. It was with mild disappointment when the postman arrived with the replacement.

little enis:
can any of you remember looking for a red box with some where to park near by. Never having a transport manager asking you where you are 24 hours a day? never having the WIFE know where you are.Oh how simple life would be but would it??

:laughing: :laughing: I sure can! …and putting 5p pieces into German phone boxes, asking companies I was delivering to if I could use their phone when I got tipped, going way off route and parking in wildly inappropriate places just to find a phone to ring in for a backload. Those were the days when truck driving demanded a different type of driver to what’s needed today. Bloody hell, you either swam or sank (very quickly) in them days. Now it’s easy, everything automated, gps locators (tracker etc) in the trucks so the boss knows where you are in real time, mobile data systems. I miss the old days of it, it sorted out the wheat from the chaff!

P.S. I could manage without a mobile phone these days, but I wouldn’t want to! :wink:

I drove in the UK from 1973 right through untill 2000 then got my first works mobile. I remember ringing in once from a red phone box to find out where I was loading from on the A10 hazard flashers going and I only had 20p to my name that day, ■■■■■■■ switchboard answerd but could not hear me first 10p gone, so I redialed and she answerd again but still she could not hear me, so now I am shouting down the phone in the hope she can hear me it was then I noticed some maggot had taken the voice piece out doh :angry:
I could live without one but would rather have one these days

Could live without it if needs be, but it comes in handy. Would have been better if I just told people I didnt have one :slight_smile:

No

bugcos:
No

Did Fairycake tell you to say that :question: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I wish I could do without one. I certainly don’t need one. We were lucky on the Euro work as I had freefone numbers from the main ones. F. B. NL. D. ES. IT and DK

Before that it was a case of sending a telex or making a single phone call from an Eastern Bloc Hotel.

In the UK it was easier to use the factory phones as we always had to call in with weights and values.

Why reg:
Could live without it if needs be, but it comes in handy. Would have been better if I just told people I didnt have one :slight_smile:

Funny you should say that.

The German word for a mobile phone is “Handy”. German linguists are at a loss to determine the exact origin of this word, but it is now the accepted name for a mobile phone in Germany.

Some people have speculated that it comes from the Swabian dialect, which is spoken in the Stuttgart area, when someone asked the question “Hen die koi Schnur?” which translates as " Haven’t they got a cord?"

Not having a mobile probably saved my life back in '69. I pulled up at a phone box just before the bridge at canning town, with a foden, to call in for a load. I was on the way back in from Dagenham I think. Anyway, a bloke in a little dormobile (anyone remember them bloody things) pulled up at the lights right where I would have been, then some loony in a loaded tipper came over the bridge, tried to beat the red arrow for his right turn, and caught the keep left island with his o/s back wheel. He slewed round to his right, seemed to take off with the front wheels and landed smack on top of the poor bugger in the dormobile. I shudder to think what would have happened to me in my fibreglass cab, if I’d not stopped for that phone box.

Ive had a workphone since end of May, and used it around 4 times, 2 of those were to try and find out what and when my next tour was, so i could be without one workwise.

I’d have trouble crossin the street without one!!!

In a word no as I use mine to use this place and other internet sites during day :stuck_out_tongue:
It would be nice to be without one sometimes I wonder how parents manage these days would manage without their kids and hubbys available at the touch of a button. Imagine what it will be like in another 40-50 years we will probably be micro-chipped and track 24-7 by anyone anywhere :smiley:

can’t live without one,but the roaming charges are a pain in the neck.

i feel sorry for the generation that never experienced life before mobiles and computers, how did we get things done? at least when you arranged to meet the boys at the pub you were all bloody there on time

Shrek:
I could manage without a mobile phone these days, but I wouldn’t want to! :wink:

What he said.

double edged sword
i would like to,but i can"t.

COULD YOU COPE WITH NO MOBILE PHONE??

No. Next question. :blush:

i feel lost if i havent got mine with me.

i left it at work one day and all night i kept looking for it , even though i knew it was at work. as soon as i got in work the next day the first thing i did was grab my phone, no texts or missed calls but i felt human again i had it!

so no i couldnt manage without it.