Cornwall

Me and my girlfriend are potentially (ie pipe dream at the moment) but what is the job situation like there?
I’ve put in a speculative application to Conway Bailey at Redruth…
I’ve got my class 1 and PCV so doing either is an option… :wink:

Riverford farms have depots in the UK,one in Devon, they haul abroad and UK.
Westfield transport in Cornwall.
Gregorys in Devon .

Money won’t be the best that’s for sure.

Why not check Gregory Distribution website as they are advertising for drivers across Devon & Cornwall at the moment. You could do a lot worse. Conway Bailey is known to pay peanuts.

bald bloke:

I know it won’t be the best but my girlfriend works for First Great Western so she can transfer and I potentially have the potential for train commuting to the place of work… :wink:

Its the best bit of btitain for sure .
Class 1 stuff tends to be based in bristol , down and back in a day .
If north devon would do ( short drive away , quite a lots of work around barnstable : hockin , evans .
Biggest employer probs gregories . they got website always wsnting drivers : south molten , torrington
If you have to work in kernow maybe look at class 2 quarry work . quite alot of this about .
Look up bodmin and truro local paper on web
Btw anywhere really nice to live you probably cant afford as a trucker .

M Way if you fancy bulk tipper work.
Westfields are down that way too, bulk tipper and general.

DAF95XF:

bald bloke:

I know it won’t be the best but my girlfriend works for First Great Western so she can transfer and I potentially have the potential for train commuting to the place of work… :wink:

I’ve always wanted to take the sleeper train to Penzance. I love Cornwall. Love the buzz in Summer. Misses and I toyed with idea of living there but I don’t think I could face the bleak winters in the coastal towns. The taxi driver we spoke to in St Ives said its desolate in Winter.

" I got twenty acres, you got forty-three…I got a brand new combine arvisterrrr"

Get the ’ indeed ’ job search app
Type in the town and jobs pop up
I get all of my work thru this
Just beware the seasonal work trap !

Hoi, eagerbeaver, I’ve got the key! What you gonna do, hotwire it?? :smiley:

DAF95XF:
Me and my girlfriend are potentially (ie pipe dream at the moment) but what is the job situation like there?
I’ve put in a speculative application to Conway Bailey at Redruth…
I’ve got my class 1 and PCV so doing either is an option… :wink:

I’ve done a bit of work for baileys when they’ve been short drivers, didn’t seem too bad to work for, a lot easier than what im used to. I mainly did drops from a meat factory to tescos rdc’s or from a couple of farms to sainsburys dc’s, up to avonmouth, stoke, birmingham, didcot, peterborough etc. then it’ backloading for delveries at the stores or packaging for the farms. a lot of people here go to work for them because it might not be the best pay, but for the area it’s pretty much standard and its regular work. extra can be had if youre willing to work weekends apparently.

just down the road from my house is a kay’s depot, they seem pretty busy. there’s also north cornwall transport who im seeing more on the road. cornwall transport is a seperate firm who i chat with their drivers now and again, they seem happy, and then quayside who were recently bought out by dfds but do a lot of work down here.

tulip, a big meat processing firm in bodmin have a lot of trucks coming and going all the time, also samworths/ginsters.

bald bloke:

What they paying down that way pal :question: :question:

seth 70:

bald bloke:

What they paying down that way pal :question: :question:

Deliver to shops down Redruth and talking to one of the women, her husband has just left Conway Bailey to go taxi driving. He
was on £8.50 per hour straight through !! :open_mouth:

If your looking for local work in the St Austell area pop into Dennis Mays block works and speak to Peter, if there’s no jobs going there he’ll know where to look, mostly class 2/ wagon and drag work hauling blocks.

Ocean fish based Victoria and maen karne could be worth a try as mentioned elsewhere Gregory’s are often Looking for drivers on the milk tankers running out of lostwithiel

Oooo arrrr Spooky. Fancy a few soyderrrs? We could ave arselves a tractuurr too. Chewin on straw, sleeves rolled up, we could tear down them ere roads at 10mph. Ave to old ar ats on mind. Ooo arr, we could head for the Somerset border an ave arselves a convoy. I’ll be rubber ducky, you could be ’ facecloth’ ,arrrr.

CB is clean ■■■■ easy work mostly meat to tescos rdc’s,if you work the weekends then you can earn a decent wage.

Money, whilst important is not the be all and end all. I’d happily accept a lower wage in exchange for a better standard of life. We all know that we won’t become rich men doing this job, but sometimes you gotta smell the roses instead.

My advice to you Daf95 is to sit down and work out how much money you are going to need to live and then figure how much you can earn in Cornwall. If you can earn more than you need then I’d consider that the benefits of living in one of the most beautiful places on Earth are worth more to your soul than your bank balance and go for it.

Good luck.

the maoster:
Money, whilst important is not the be all and end all. I’d happily accept a lower wage in exchange for a better standard of life. We all know that we won’t become rich men doing this job, but sometimes you gotta smell the roses instead.

My advice to you Daf95 is to sit down and work out how much money you are going to need to live and then figure how much you can earn in Cornwall. If you can earn more than you need then I’d consider that the benefits of living in one of the most beautiful places on Earth are worth more to your soul than your bank balance and go for it.

Good luck.

Very wise words, indeed!

Steve