Cooler box illness

Since I’ve been back on tramping I’ve just bought food as and when I fancied but as I seem too end up in lay-bys 99% of the time and nothing too eat I’ll got a cooler box , but I seem too be suffering with sickness , bad guts etc constantly , can’t see it’s the cooler box as new , can you eat too much cold food , yogurts , cheese , scotch eggs etc , ta

It’s almost certainly Legionaires disease. I wouldn’t worry too much. :wink:

I think you can eat too much processed crap with any goodness that might once have been in it, long since eradicated.

Tramping all hours God sends and then eating/sleeping out of a cool box in a bloody tin can in a stinking and probably noisy layby is not a way of life, its a bloody short cut to an early grave.

If you’re doing long hours, you deserve a decent meal (not a bloody McD’s or pizza crap, but real fresh veg) and a bloody pint away from that soddin tin can for a few hours every day, if the job don’t pay enough to do that it aint worth doing, you’d be better off on a dustcart with regular hours and bugger off home every afternoon.

If it has to be layby’s, try and find places that are within a mile or two’s stroll of a nice pub, so you can get a proper dinner mate and chill out over a pint with a good book or a chin wag with some other driver’s who’ve managed to escape for a few hours.

Juddian:
I think you can eat too much processed crap with any goodness that might once have been in it, long since eradicated.

Tramping all hours God sends and then eating/sleeping out of a cool box in a bloody tin can in a stinking and probably noisy layby is not a way of life, its a bloody short cut to an early grave.

If you’re doing long hours, you deserve a decent meal (not a bloody McD’s or pizza crap, but real fresh veg) and a bloody pint away from that soddin tin can for a few hours every day, if the job don’t pay enough to do that it aint worth doing, you’d be better off on a dustcart with regular hours and bugger off home every afternoon.

If it has to be layby’s, try and find places that are within a mile or two’s stroll of a nice pub, so you can get a proper dinner mate and chill out over a pint with a good book or a chin wag with some other driver’s who’ve managed to escape for a few hours.

Yeah, but not in a pub where I am, if you don’t mind…

It’s possible to cook some decent scram when in a truck…it takes a bit of effort and planning but its easily possible and saves you heaps of money if you can be bothered .
Decent fridge and cooker are a must though.

Eat fresh roadkill…when was the last time you saw a magpie with the belly ache :wink:

the maoster:

He’s a lucky driver if he has a shower in his cab ! ( Medically proven fact that’s where it’s mostly caught from, infected shower heads)

the maoster:

He’s a lucky driver if he has a shower in his cab ! ( Medically proven fact that’s where it’s mostly caught from, infected shower heads)

the maoster:

Not as serious as SAS disease but I’m not allowed to talk about it.

ebay.co.uk/itm/Roadpro-12V-S … SwsN9XAICf

these look interesting

Juddian:

How dare you mention having a pint on a night out. The truck net stassi will be arranging the firing squad as we type

Many a good meal can be had from a coolbox + cooker. but you have to plan…cook extra at home and freeze it ( bolognese, curry etc ) past a keeps well in a truck cupboard as does rice…salad is available on the road, even in services…so its possible…i for one have never had a dodgy stomach ( except for foord poisoning from a roadside cafe abroad ) and that was before cool boxes, fridges and all the mod cons, and a regular portion of Camion stew :smiley:

9970:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roadpro-12V-Slow-Cooker-Black-/162026840237?hash=item25b98d60ad:g:gF8AAOSwsN9XAICf

these look interesting

Judging how long my 12v kettle takes to boil, it’s probably called a slow-cooker because it takes 3 hours to heat up a tin of soup! :laughing:

9970:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roadpro-12V-Slow-Cooker-Black-/162026840237?hash=item25b98d60ad:g:gF8AAOSwsN9XAICf

these look interesting

They do but a bit pricey.
Could you run a 240v one off an inverter?
If so what size inverter do you reckon…anybody?

dozy:
Since I’ve been back on tramping I’ve just bought food as and when I fancied but as I seem too end up in lay-bys 99% of the time and nothing too eat I’ll got a cooler box , but I seem too be suffering with sickness , bad guts etc constantly , can’t see it’s the cooler box as new , can you eat too much cold food , yogurts , cheese , scotch eggs etc , ta

How cold does your coolbox go?
Have you been eating frozen chicken drumsticks as ice lollies by any chance? :smiley:
Buy yourself a microwave or park up somewhere other than ■■■■ lay bys and do what Juddian says. :bulb:

robroy:

Quick search around Argos suggests most are 200 - 300 watts so a 500w+ standard output inverter should be plenty even for the bigger ones from all the research I did into 240v fridges etc. Argos even do a 3 piece one where you can have the different parts at diff temperatures, although it doesn’t say what the wattage is.

One thing with most of them is you don’t run it at full blast - just let it simmer away slowly for many hours on the lower heat (most stuff does take quite a few hours). Only small problem could be where you put it as driving with hot stew in the back of the cab doesn’t sound like the greatest idea, but they do tenderise meat in gravy really well.

This is the guy who drives heel to the steel to get to his facilities at night.

I look at all his posts and frankly words just fail. :unamused:

trevHCS:

robroy:

Quick search around Argos suggests most are 200 - 300 watts so a 500w+ standard output inverter should be plenty even for the bigger ones from all the research I did into 240v fridges etc. Argos even do a 3 piece one where you can have the different parts at diff temperatures, although it doesn’t say what the wattage is.

One thing with most of them is you don’t run it at full blast - just let it simmer away slowly for many hours on the lower heat (most stuff does take quite a few hours). Only small problem could be where you put it as driving with hot stew in the back of the cab doesn’t sound like the greatest idea, but they do tenderise meat in gravy really well.

Thanks for that mate, my inverter is a bit lower than that but I can easily get a bigger one.
I’m liking the sound of this gonna look into it at weekend.
Reckon it will be ok on passenger side footwell packed in safely.
I thought I had all the in cab facilities covered. :smiley:

trevHCS:
Argos even do a 3 piece one where you can have the different parts at diff temperatures, although it doesn’t say what the wattage is.

Q&A says
The low wattage of device is 220W on low and 290W on high. Over all it is 300W.

Buy a slow cooker make your meals over the weekend put in sealed plastic tubs and re-heat in cab I always do loads over the weekend then the wife and kids eat what’s left it’s easy and saves loads of cash like this —