conway bailey and rr transport

Craig 111:
I worked for Conway when he had half a dozen Roadtrains, and also did a bit for Rowe & Co driving an F12 … Yeah, it was a while ago!

Are you still trucking out there in France or are you doing other work?

LJA:

Thetaff2:
They run white magnums is that the ones??
If so I know a guy who works for them called Fraser.

My Mom’s neighbour used to work for the owner and told me to beware of him and make sure I get paid, which promted me to quiz the manager as to exactly what I can expect as a wage. After skirting round the subject, he finally told me, and I was horrified to find out that they only pay £6.20p per hour and they only pay for your driving time!!! :unamused: :angry: :imp:

And :

!!! all of 1 pence over minimum wage and 11pence below from the 1st October!! , that wage is taking the mikey!!!

edwardj:

LJA:

Thetaff2:
They run white magnums is that the ones??
If so I know a guy who works for them called Fraser.

My Mom’s neighbour used to work for the owner and told me to beware of him and make sure I get paid, which promted me to quiz the manager as to exactly what I can expect as a wage. After skirting round the subject, he finally told me, and I was horrified to find out that they only pay £6.20p per hour and they only pay for your driving time!!! :unamused: :angry: :imp:

And :

!!! all of 1 pence over minimum wage and 11pence below from the 1st October!! , that wage is taking the mikey!!!

Well if the hourly rate isn’t enough to kill you, whats all this about only paying you driving time, I just don’t get it, surely you have to stop to deliver don’t you, who is paying for that ?, I am confused. :open_mouth: if in a 12 hour day, you manage 7 hours driving in total you get paid the hourly rate x 7 ■■

LJA:

Craig 111:
I worked for Conway when he had half a dozen Roadtrains, and also did a bit for Rowe & Co driving an F12 … Yeah, it was a while ago!

Are you still trucking out there in France or are you doing other work?

Yes pard, still working for STEF-TFE down west, and intending to stay there too :sunglasses:

And which flavour peanuts does Sir/Madam prefer for payment ?

Schofield:
And which flavour peanuts does Sir/Madam prefer for payment ?

Flavour? Pah! Yeah, you keep wishing…you ain’t even getting them salted pal! :laughing:

JLS Driver SOS:
if in a 12 hour day, you manage 7 hours driving in total you get paid the hourly rate x 7 ■■

Yup! That’s right mate. In that scenario you will only get paid for 7 hours at a massive £6.20p per hour! :frowning:

Craig 111:
Yes pard, still working for STEF-TFE down west, and intending to stay there too :sunglasses:

STEF-TFE■■?

LJA:

JLS Driver SOS:
if in a 12 hour day, you manage 7 hours driving in total you get paid the hourly rate x 7 ■■

Yup! That’s right mate. In that scenario you will only get paid for 7 hours at a massive £6.20p per hour! :frowning:

I was thinking of perphaps seeing if Conway or R & R would take me on but hearing that its £6.20/hr im better off staying van driving at £7.20/hr (just had a 2% rise whatever that works out to be my maths is crap!) Shame as they are one of the biggest firms in Cornwall and i dont wanna stay on the vans forever, but ive got a nice 36hr contract with the choice of overtime where i am now. Maybe il look into getting on the tippers again, enjoyed the bit i did :confused:

Trucker-Lass22:

LJA:

JLS Driver SOS:

I was thinking of perphaps seeing if Conway or R & R would take me on but hearing that its £6.20/hr im better off staying van driving at £7.20/hr (just had a 2% rise whatever that works out to be my maths is crap!) Shame as they are one of the biggest firms in Cornwall and i dont wanna stay on the vans forever, but ive got a nice 36hr contract with the choice of overtime where i am now. Maybe il look into getting on the tippers again, enjoyed the bit i did :confused:

It is Insight that are paying £6.20/hr,
Conway Bailey pay a weekly salary plusbonuses for turn arounds and multi drops etc.
I have been led to understand that the weekly salary is negotiated on an individual basis when you start working for them. They have many drivers on the same work earning different salaried.
But they are one of the biggest and best paying transport operators in the South West.

This confused me as well. I did not realise that the bit about £6.20 per hr is talking about a different firm.

Depending on where you work, IIRC the cornish drivers are on a day rate plus bonuses and night out, the merthyr boys are on day rate plus night out, the R&R drivers are hourly paid. A decent company to work for as long as you get on with your work, its easy work and they give you decent kit. I worked out of Merthyr for a few months.

DABenji:
Depending on where you work, IIRC the cornish drivers are on a day rate plus bonuses and night out, the merthyr boys are on day rate plus night out, the R&R drivers are hourly paid. A decent company to work for as long as you get on with your work, its easy work and they give you decent kit. I worked out of Merthyr for a few months.[/quote

Maybe il call over to either Redruth or Blackwater have a chat with them and see what they would offer, could always see of I could do casual work first before I gave up my existing job.

Trucker-Lass22:

Hi there Trucker-Lass22,

As somebody else pointed out, you’ve misread a previous post as the pay I received at Conway Bailey was £7.35p per hour (this included the holiday pay). I was on a zero hour contract but I understand most of the guys were on basic salary of £350 a week then they received bonuses dependant on what deliveries and trailer change-overs they make. They also get an overnight allowance for every night out. I do know of a couple of guys there who managed to negotiate a minimum hours contract (which I think they needed to prove they had a basic income).

I notice you passed your cat C on my birthday! :smiley: By the way, do you currently work out of Truro?

LJA:

Trucker-Lass22:

Hi there Trucker-Lass22,

As somebody else pointed out, you’ve misread a previous post as the pay I received at Conway Bailey was £7.35p per hour (this included the holiday pay). I was on a zero hour contract but I understand most of the guys were on basic salary of £350 a week then they received bonuses dependant on what deliveries and trailer change-overs they make. They also get an overnight allowance for every night out. I do know of a couple of guys there who managed to negotiate a minimum hours contract (which I think they needed to prove they had a basic income).

I notice you passed your cat C on my birthday! :smiley: By the way, do you currently work out of Truro?

Oh thats not too bad then, maybe il call in see if they have anything going! Do you know if they take on people with no class 1 experiance, as since passing ive not done any class 1 so am gonna be rusty as hell :confused: Yea i drive for Sainsburys outta the Truro store

Trucker-Lass22:
Oh thats not too bad then, maybe il call in see if they have anything going! Do you know if they take on people with no class 1 experiance, as since passing ive not done any class 1 so am gonna be rusty as hell :confused: Yea i drive for Sainsburys outta the Truro store

Ah, I thought it was you! :sunglasses: You probably don’t remember (which is a good thing! :laughing: ) but we chatted one day in your yard at work while I was there making a delivery when I was at CBT. I remember you asking me questions about getting your class 1 licence and about the chances of getting work when you get it. Over the following weeks (then months), I thought about you and wondered how you were getting on. Although, I made more deliveries there since then, I didn’t see you around to ask and wondered if you were still there or not. I’m pleased to see you did as you said you would and managed to obtain your class 1. Nice one! :smiley: It’s a shame you haven’t used it yet though. Is there any reason for that? Have you actually applied anywhere?

As for getting work at CBT, it all depends on how busy they are and if they need drivers. When I started working for them, I had only had my class 1 for a few months, but that wasn’t a problem as the trainer chap there (Alan Stanton) takes you out on a quick assessment drive for 20 minutes. He’s a nice chap and easy to get on with and was always there to help any drivers, whether they had their licence many years or just a few weeks. I would really recommend you actually go down there in person and ask to see Lee. He’s the transport manager there. Most of the drivers there are on a set weekly salary (with bonuses for extra deliveries & change-overs paid extra) but you may get offered work on a casual basis which you could fit in around your current job. If you can get CBT to offer you at least a part-time contract, you could then maybe change your current job into a part-time one as well, then do both jobs part-time until you’ve gained enough experience on class 1 to get a more permanent full-time position somewhere.

LJA:

Trucker-Lass22:

Ah, I thought it was you! :sunglasses: You probably don’t remember (which is a good thing! :laughing: ) but we chatted one day in your yard at work while I was there making a delivery when I was at CBT. I remember you asking me questions about getting your class 1 licence and about the chances of getting work when you get it. Over the following weeks (then months), I thought about you and wondered how you were getting on. Although, I made more deliveries there since then, I didn’t see you around to ask and wondered if you were still there or not. I’m pleased to see you did as you said you would and managed to obtain your class 1. Nice one! :smiley: It’s a shame you haven’t used it yet though. Is there any reason for that? Have you actually applied anywhere?

As for getting work at CBT, it all depends on how busy they are and if they need drivers. When I started working for them, I had only had my class 1 for a few months, but that wasn’t a problem as the trainer chap there (Alan Stanton) takes you out on a quick assessment drive for 20 minutes. He’s a nice chap and easy to get on with and was always there to help any drivers, whether they had their licence many years or just a few weeks. I would really recommend you actually go down there in person and ask to see Lee. He’s the transport manager there. Most of the drivers there are on a set weekly salary (with bonuses for extra deliveries & change-overs paid extra) but you may get offered work on a casual basis which you could fit in around your current job. If you can get CBT to offer you at least a part-time contract, you could then maybe change your current job into a part-time one as well, then do both jobs part-time until you’ve gained enough experience on class 1 to get a more permanent full-time position somewhere.

Oh yea i remember you, hows it going? Yea im still there, be 3 years in Febuary, scary how fast times gone but taken me two of them to save up and get my licences. Mondays im normally kicking about the yard loading but the rest of the days out on the road so that probally why you didnt see me. Passed in January on my second attempt (totally bodged the reverse first time round so knew id failed before i left the yard but did a spot on drive, bit annoying but nailed it 2nd time :smiley: ) took a few weeks to get my CPC booked then i did a bit of tipper work, was suppose to be leading to full time but the bloke took one of his lorries off the road meaning he had 1 lorry and 2 drivers so there wasnt the work (bit annyoing as i enjoyed tipper work) been doing 6day weeks quite a bit over the summer and been competing and training my horse so just been full on really havnt looked for jobs. As much as i enjoy the van work and it does suit my lifestyle as its pretty flexible and i have guarenteed 36hrs work a week with the choice of doing as much overtime as is avalible, my dream is obviously to drive HGV. Think im a bit worried if i go for an assement the fact i havnt driven for so long will show, could do with a day in a yard just shunting to get the hang of it again. What you say about seeing if CBT have any part time work is a good idea, as i dont wanna give up Sainsburys for a job that isnt secure and end up unemplyed few months down the line. Would definalty pop down think it shows your more keen than an email or phone call and can actaully discuss things, if i pop down is that to the depo behind Smokey Joes?

Trucker-Lass22:
Oh yea i remember you, hows it going?

I’m ok thanks, but I’m not working at CBT anymore. I was getting a bit fed up with the ‘zero-hour’ contract I had so I started to look around for other jobs and was offered a permanent full-time job with a company just up the road from where my Mom lives. So, about a month ago I ended up putting all my possessions into storage with Pickfords in Truro and moving into my Mom’s place in Stratford-upon-Avon while I started working for this company. I thought I would look for another place to live as soon as I was settled in the job. The job sounded great…I had my own truck and was out tramping Monday to Friday, based out of the port of Felixstowe. It was basically sub-contracting to Maritime out of their depot based there. The work was easy enough (once you find your way around that massive port! :sunglasses: ) However, I had a shock after being in the job a few weeks…I found out that they were only paying me for actual driving time, and even then I would only get £6.20p per hour!!! :imp: (That was the bit you read earlier in this thread and thought I was on about CBT!) In a way, I only have myself to blame because I never actually asked what they paid. I don’t know about anyone else, but I’ve never been one for asking about how much I will be paid when I’m in an interview as I think it only shows that’s all you are applying for the job for (which it is really! :laughing: ) I’ve always waited for them to tell me, and in this case the chap didn’t actually mention what the rate was but I do remember him saying that most of the guys picked up about £425 a week. So, I automatically assumed that I would get around £8 an hour and of course I also thought that I would get paid for every hour I was working too!! :astonished: Needless to say, I didn’t stay! So, I am currently working through an agency and have been working for a couple of companies near Tamworth. Last week I done some work for Gregory’s in Minworth, mainly local collections/deliveries of trailers in and out of Cadbury’s in Bournville (it smells lovely there when the wind is in the right direction! :smiley: ). Strangely, this week I’ve been working for Wincanton shunting containers to the port at Felixstowe again! :smiley:

Trucker-Lass22:
Yea im still there, be 3 years in Febuary, scary how fast times gone but taken me two of them to save up and get my licences. Mondays im normally kicking about the yard loading but the rest of the days out on the road so that probally why you didnt see me. Passed in January on my second attempt (totally bodged the reverse first time round so knew id failed before i left the yard but did a spot on drive, bit annoying but nailed it 2nd time :smiley: ) took a few weeks to get my CPC booked then i did a bit of tipper work, was suppose to be leading to full time but the bloke took one of his lorries off the road meaning he had 1 lorry and 2 drivers so there wasnt the work (bit annyoing as i enjoyed tipper work) been doing 6day weeks quite a bit over the summer and been competing and training my horse so just been full on really havnt looked for jobs.

Yeah, I know what it’s like. I really should have passed on my first class 1 attempt and the examiner said so, but in a complete moment of madness I forgot to actually make a point of showing him I was checking the parking brake on the trailer when I was coupling up! :imp:

Trucker-Lass22:
As much as i enjoy the van work and it does suit my lifestyle as its pretty flexible and i have guarenteed 36hrs work a week with the choice of doing as much overtime as is avalible, my dream is obviously to drive HGV. Think im a bit worried if i go for an assement the fact i havnt driven for so long will show, could do with a day in a yard just shunting to get the hang of it again. What you say about seeing if CBT have any part time work is a good idea, as i dont wanna give up Sainsburys for a job that isnt secure and end up unemplyed few months down the line. Would definalty pop down think it shows your more keen than an email or phone call and can actaully discuss things, if i pop down is that to the depo behind Smokey Joes?

Yes, I agree you shouldn’t just quit your current job and that’s why I suggest you actually go down to CBT and speak to Lee. He will be understanding of the fact that you haven’t got any experience. That won’t be a problem, I’m sure of it. You can explain your current situation and might get odd days (or nights) there to fit in around your current job. Then, as time goes on you will get more work and eventually you might get offered a full-time job there, if you badger them enough! :laughing:

Don’t worry about the assessment! It’s not a test and you can’t fail it! :sunglasses: It’s just a case of seeing if you have a decent attitude for it more than anything. You will only drive up to into Redruth and back, that’s all. As you’ve probably seen, all of the trucks are quite new and they all drive nicely, so you won’t have any problem there.

And yes, if you go up that small lane between Smokey Joes and that dogs home, you will come to the CBT entrance on your right-hand side after a few hundred yards. When you drive into the yard, it opens out and you can park up on the left (you will see all the other drivers cars there) and the main office is there on the left (it looks like a big portacabin!) If you can’t park on the left, when you drive into the yard just go straight ahead and there is more parking available down the bottom end of the yard.

Let me know how you get on and if you have any questions, just ask! You can PM me if you want to ask anything without displaying it on here :grimacing:

Good Luck! :sunglasses:

LJA:

Trucker-Lass22:
Oh yea i remember you, hows it going?

I’m ok thanks, but I’m not working at CBT anymore. I was getting a bit fed up with the ‘zero-hour’ contract I had so I started to look around for other jobs and was offered a permanent full-time job with a company just up the road from where my Mom lives. So, about a month ago I ended up putting all my possessions into storage with Pickfords in Truro and moving into my Mom’s place in Stratford-upon-Avon while I started working for this company. I thought I would look for another place to live as soon as I was settled in the job. The job sounded great…I had my own truck and was out tramping Monday to Friday, based out of the port of Felixstowe. It was basically sub-contracting to Maritime out of their depot based there. The work was easy enough (once you find your way around that massive port! :sunglasses: ) However, I had a shock after being in the job a few weeks…I found out that they were only paying me for actual driving time, and even then I would only get £6.20p per hour!!! :imp: (That was the bit you read earlier in this thread and thought I was on about CBT!) In a way, I only have myself to blame because I never actually asked what they paid. I don’t know about anyone else, but I’ve never been one for asking about how much I will be paid when I’m in an interview as I think it only shows that’s all you are applying for the job for (which it is really! :laughing: ) I’ve always waited for them to tell me, and in this case the chap didn’t actually mention what the rate was but I do remember him saying that most of the guys picked up about £425 a week. So, I automatically assumed that I would get around £8 an hour and of course I also thought that I would get paid for every hour I was working too!! :astonished: Needless to say, I didn’t stay! So, I am currently working through an agency and have been working for a couple of companies near Tamworth. Last week I done some work for Gregory’s in Minworth, mainly local collections/deliveries of trailers in and out of Cadbury’s in Bournville (it smells lovely there when the wind is in the right direction! :smiley: ). Strangely, this week I’ve been working for Wincanton shunting containers to the port at Felixstowe again! :smiley:

Trucker-Lass22:
Yea im still there, be 3 years in Febuary, scary how fast times gone but taken me two of them to save up and get my licences. Mondays im normally kicking about the yard loading but the rest of the days out on the road so that probally why you didnt see me. Passed in January on my second attempt (totally bodged the reverse first time round so knew id failed before i left the yard but did a spot on drive, bit annoying but nailed it 2nd time :smiley: ) took a few weeks to get my CPC booked then i did a bit of tipper work, was suppose to be leading to full time but the bloke took one of his lorries off the road meaning he had 1 lorry and 2 drivers so there wasnt the work (bit annyoing as i enjoyed tipper work) been doing 6day weeks quite a bit over the summer and been competing and training my horse so just been full on really havnt looked for jobs.

Yeah, I know what it’s like. I really should have passed on my first class 1 attempt and the examiner said so, but in a complete moment of madness I forgot to actually make a point of showing him I was checking the parking brake on the trailer when I was coupling up! :imp:

Trucker-Lass22:
As much as i enjoy the van work and it does suit my lifestyle as its pretty flexible and i have guarenteed 36hrs work a week with the choice of doing as much overtime as is avalible, my dream is obviously to drive HGV. Think im a bit worried if i go for an assement the fact i havnt driven for so long will show, could do with a day in a yard just shunting to get the hang of it again. What you say about seeing if CBT have any part time work is a good idea, as i dont wanna give up Sainsburys for a job that isnt secure and end up unemplyed few months down the line. Would definalty pop down think it shows your more keen than an email or phone call and can actaully discuss things, if i pop down is that to the depo behind Smokey Joes?

Yes, I agree you shouldn’t just quit your current job and that’s why I suggest you actually go down to CBT and speak to Lee. He will be understanding of the fact that you haven’t got any experience. That won’t be a problem, I’m sure of it. You can explain your current situation and might get odd days (or nights) there to fit in around your current job. Then, as time goes on you will get more work and eventually you might get offered a full-time job there, if you badger them enough! :laughing:

Don’t worry about the assessment! It’s not a test and you can’t fail it! :sunglasses: It’s just a case of seeing if you have a decent attitude for it more than anything. You will only drive up to into Redruth and back, that’s all. As you’ve probably seen, all of the trucks are quite new and they all drive nicely, so you won’t have any problem there.

And yes, if you go up that small lane between Smokey Joes and that dogs home, you will come to the CBT entrance on your right-hand side after a few hundred yards. When you drive into the yard, it opens out and you can park up on the left (you will see all the other drivers cars there) and the main office is there on the left (it looks like a big portacabin!) If you can’t park on the left, when you drive into the yard just go straight ahead and there is more parking available down the bottom end of the yard.

Let me know how you get on and if you have any questions, just ask! You can PM me if you want to ask anything without displaying it on here :grimacing:

Good Luck! :sunglasses:

Bloody hell thats a bit crap what they were paying you, im surprised they have any drivers that last at the rate! What youve said about CBT sounds good and if they would let me work a couple of days around my existing job that would be ideal, if all went well and they needed a full time driver its definaly something id consider and in the meantime i could be getting some experience :slight_smile: I shall pop over in the next week or two and speak to Lee (know you dont drive there anymore but is he normally around most days or is there a good time to call over? I know at our place between 8-9 is normally chaos lol) Thanks for all your help and advice and i shall keep you posted :grimacing:

Trucker-Lass22:
I shall pop over in the next week or two and speak to Lee (know you dont drive there anymore but is he normally around most days or is there a good time to call over? I know at our place between 8-9 is normally chaos lol) Thanks for all your help and advice and i shall keep you posted :grimacing:

Yeah, no probs. You will normally find Lee there Monday to Friday from around 8-9am until 5-6pm unless you are unlucky enough to call in when he’s got a day off! It can be a busy office, but he will always make himself available to see you for 10mins. He also takes it in turn to work on the weekends, but it’s probably best to call in there during the week for the best chance of seeing him. If they decide to give you a quick assessment drive you will need your driving licence and digi card with you, so make sure you take them along with you. (Like I said before, don’t worry about that. It’s only to see that you can handle a large vehicle and know how to position yourself correctly and safely - They will also understand about you being very new to it. I went there only a few months after upgrading my cat C to C+E. When we got back into the yard, I reversed the trailer back into a large gap between the fuel pump and the MOT garage and to make sure I got it right I over-compensated the moving of the unit left & right many times in order to get the trailer to go back to where I wanted it. When I took the keys back into the office, I was introduced to the owner Mark who commented on my over-manoevering! Alan Stanton (the trainer/assessor) jumped to my defence immediatly and said that I was a very new C+E driver and that’s nothing unusual for a new driver. Mark was totally fine with it). I think Alan Stanton (the chap who does all the driver training) is the one who always does the driving assessment (he done mine) and I know he only works Monday to Friday, so if you did go there on a weekend, I doubt you will get an assessment.

If you’ve got any more questions, fire away…anyway, good luck with it all! :sunglasses: