Containers

can any body help reguarding containers and drivers wages.
just took delivery of a new truck and have got my old unit sat in the yard,not worth alot to sell on,but to good a motor not to be used
if i put this truck on the containers with a company eg wincantons or elite and let them run it for me,how much need i pay a driver,how much on average can you earn a week.
thanks

Hi DAF DAVE, welcome to the forum :smiley:

the earnings that you can get from the container companies really depends on your driver and how he works.

as for who to work for, your location would help make the choice a bit easier to decide who to actually work for

i have had vehicles on Maritime, Elite (both ran from Southampton) and RCL (ran from Tamworth on locals)

the worst out of the lot was Maritime, on the 4 days up to the christmas break, the elite driver earned £750 more than the Maritime driver, i also know that it was not down to the driver, it was down to the work that they were given from the company.

as for wages, i know of a company that does locals in the midlands, they pay their drivers £50 per container, if they do 6 per week, the driver earns £300, if they do 12 per week, they earn £600.

you have to be realistic with the pay structure for the driver, but also be carefull of the profit left.

hi dave.i put my driver on 20% of weekly truck earnings.he,s self employed so it makes it easy.2,000=400 for him.2500=500 and so on.helps to keep him keen.

life of grime:
hi dave.i put my driver on 20% of weekly truck earnings.he,s self employed so it makes it easy.2,000=400 for him.2500=500 and so on.helps to keep him keen.

sounds like a right con :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: in fact having worked on precentage that is a right con.

i know a few box owner drivers that would love to earn £2000 a week on boxes but in reality are making roughly about £1700. then if its quiet your driver earns hardly anthing and that’s not his fault.

the fella i worked for did boxes out of freightliner, the money stopped when my box went on the train but it used to be an extra 1/2 hours to get back to the yard and in the car. wont be falling for that tight trick again.

company in gloucester pays its drivers £75 a day whatever hours usually running to the max
£20 night out money but no parking payed time and a quarter for saturdays
looking for drivers i hear

graham schroeder:
company in gloucester pays its drivers £75 a day whatever hours usually running to the max

pmsl… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i wonder why.

jessicas dad:

graham schroeder:

pmsl… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i wonder why.

thats exactly what i thought, but then again not too bad when you look at teh hourly rates some of these con artists… erm i mean employers are offering

We get £74 a day for 11 hrs, then £9 per hr after that…plus parking & £22.50 night out.

life of grime:

The way I look at percentage is 20% of ■■■■ all is ■■■■ all , its just a way to push your drivers to run bent and you’ve realy got to trust you boss

Like the original poster I have a unit and trailer MOT’d last week if anyone out there knows of a driver looking for a chance to earn a living.
I am open to negotiation over earnings but anyone who knows the container game is aware that the rates are awful for the hours involved in the job which is why both my trailers are ‘Combis’(Nooteboom)
Anyone in the past who has driven for me knows that I wouldn’t rip them off and they have been able to see vehicles earnings.
If you want an hourly rate in this job it won’t be much better than the minimum wage, be realistic, most box drivers are on a modest salary with maximum hours thrown in.
A self employed VAT registered freelance ought to earn OVER 500 quid a week MINIMUM to take home.
You have to cut costs to the bone in haulage, and paying yourself legitimately a tiny wage and a liveable dividend is the only way I have survived the downturn and twinning boxes helps to earn a decent turnover without the need to run bent.
I will share the profits with anyone who will share the risk.
PM me

from what ive seen throughout the jobs available etc, average wages seem to be around £450 per week take home (including 4 nights out and no parking) ive worked for more and less, id rather do that than have nothing coming in

mark j robinson:
Like the original poster I have a unit and trailer MOT’d last week if anyone out there knows of a driver looking for a chance to earn a living.
I am open to negotiation over earnings but anyone who knows the container game is aware that the rates are awful for the hours involved in the job which is why both my trailers are ‘Combis’(Nooteboom)
Anyone in the past who has driven for me knows that I wouldn’t rip them off and they have been able to see vehicles earnings.
If you want an hourly rate in this job it won’t be much better than the minimum wage, be realistic, most box drivers are on a modest salary with maximum hours thrown in.
A self employed VAT registered freelance ought to earn OVER 500 quid a week MINIMUM to take home.
You have to cut costs to the bone in haulage, and paying yourself legitimately a tiny wage and a liveable dividend is the only way I have survived the downturn and twinning boxes helps to earn a decent turnover without the need to run bent.
PM me

if you short of driver or any work out of fxt contact you will have to supply a unit

mark j robinson:
PM me

i will back up this member, mark is throughly decent guy and i would trust him. :wink:

Well, thanks for that vote of confidence JD, kind of you to say so.
All I will add to that is after a year of running down the company bank balance to keep paying myself a good living to keep paying the bills, I am not in a position at present to guarantee someone ‘on the books’ five days wages for one days work (worst case scenario) I’m just offering an opportunity to the right person to have a go with the best container kit on the road.

gissa job :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

What’s the unit spec?

:bulb:

EC11 6x2 ecas olympic cab

Never done boxes before, but I’m s/e and vat registered if that’s any help.

Ken.

To go back to the original post…Daf Dave was askin about letting Elite or Wincanton run his old truck. I’ve just had a look at the Wincanton subbies brochure (email) Pence per mile 114 for 44t. is this par for course you guys on distance? If you carry a twin container they pay you an extra £30, my my, thats generous of them, A pair of Manchesters ex Felix will probably net them £1400 and they are gonna give you £630. Reminds me of a similar scenario when I spoke to Hanbury Davies several years ago, must be old Hanbury staff running Wincanton Container Division. And finally demurrage…£12.50 after FOUR hours. They’re pulling your pants down.

mark j robinson:
To go back to the original post…Daf Dave was askin about letting Elite or Wincanton run his old truck. I’ve just had a look at the Wincanton subbies brochure (email) Pence per mile 114 for 44t. is this par for course you guys on distance? If you carry a twin container they pay you an extra £30, my my, thats generous of them, A pair of Manchesters ex Felix will probably net them £1400 and they are gonna give you £630. Reminds me of a similar scenario when I spoke to Hanbury Davies several years ago, must be old Hanbury staff running Wincanton Container Division. And finally demurrage…£12.50 after FOUR hours. They’re pulling your pants down.

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: