Container work

Hello all i contacted an agency near where i live they have some work out of stourton container base working for roadways.Ive never done containers at all and wouldnt have a clue,also a driver once told me the docks can be very daunting if youve never been places like southamton,felixstowe etc.If you havnt got a clue where you going on the docks its so easy to get lost,i hear that most docks now have a computer system for faster release and acceptance of containers.Would roadways train you up on them or just expect you to know.

deano32:
Hello all i contacted an agency near where i live they have some work out of stourton container base working for roadways.Ive never done containers at all and wouldnt have a clue,also a driver once told me the docks can be very daunting if youve never been places like southamton,felixstowe etc.If you havnt got a clue where you going on the docks its so easy to get lost,i hear that most docks now have a computer system for faster release and acceptance of containers.Would roadways train you up on them or just expect you to know.

you need a rhides card at fxt just need id =d/licence /passport any way do it anymore fed up with strong winds european work good luck :grimacing: :grimacing:

Remember to do up the twist locks,and watch out for abnormal centre of gravity loads,where it was loaded overseas,and may be top heavy,and become a cropper and turn over at the first roundabout.The trailer may be shortened to accomodate a smaller box,each unit differs,ask the lads/lasses in the yard or in the port to demo for you.
Southampton is daunting to start,but 2nd time in it is ok.Booking system,and areas to take empties on and off,the gate staff will point out where to go,and give you a map.Parking at night is hard,a lot go to the industrial estates or do a few hours up the A34 to park,to use up tacho time.
Felixstowe has a map,most drivers will show where to go,but the numbering and bays is confusing,and a very big port.
Isle of Grain(Thamesport)give you a pager,do you can have tea/meal while waiting to get called in.Expect a few hours or more to get tipped,and the depot unloads it,not the driver.Best thing is no one can cut the sides,unlike plastic curtains,where i found i slept better.Ask the boss for a container lock for the back doors.

make sure you take a good long book with you… as you will be sitting around a lot while gettin tipped …

you also get planty of sleep on the bay … :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

always check your twist locks and if in doubt just ask somebody to help you with any probs … remember when i fist went on the box’s hadn’t a clue how to slide a skelly … but5 soon got to grips with it…

For me it was a 2,3 or 4 am start from Southampton for 6,7 or 8 am deliveries up North.Trick was to get the empty off and load up with the box that night for delivery the next day,or mess around in the port,and wait 3 hours at Pentalvers in a very long queue,the next day.
Some places i would give them my mobile number for the gaffer to call when empty,and i would take the bike out for a few hours,green laning or visit something in the area.
There are loads of container bases in Leeds,Birmingham and Manchester,once knew them of by heart.
Freightliner depots too.If stuck at the right time,at the right place in a big city,there may be a theatre or concert to see.Or find a friendly local with a log fire for when the night heater packs up minus 10 degree winter times.I used to enjoy containers,they would leave me alone,like ring an hour before tipped,to plan the next days routings.

I would love to get on containers…

Just can’t seem to get a chance…

If you go on Elite transport website they may be hiring,depots all over the UK,the same for Maritime,heard they push you a bit.Put an advert near the port offering your driving services,or an owner driver may want holiday/sickness cover.Also DHL,depots at the ports.

I have emailed off an application to Elite today.

Will have to give Maritime a call, along with a few others.

I am based in the West Midlands so not far from Hams Hall etc

Dunkin Doughnut here some i found on jobcentre plus.
Drivelink nationwide ltd,Agency i think at Felixstowe £8 ph,or £9.75 or £10.50 on nights.
Telephone 01394 675510.

Same as company as above at Manchester.Telephone 01977 550960.

Sea Transport at Ipswhich.Telephone 07980 801383.Landline=01473 279957
Email to robin@seatrans.co.uk
Wants digital tacho,ADR prefered but not essential.Unit 25.Bluestem Rd.Ipswhich.IP3 9RR.
At Ransomes Industrial estate,Ipswhich.
Paul Mattews,concert and theatre set transport,they have website.Box vans.

I done containers for a while 2 runs from Grantham to Immingham and back nice easy night.

Heres a few things I learnt.

Be nice to the guys in the top loaders if you get to speak to them mess with them and they will with you.

They tend to know if the box iis heavier at one end or the other so just wave to them and go ask them.

ALWAYS check your seal number ALWAYS ALWAYS someone could have nicked some stuff and put a new seal on.

On the ships the containers have twist locks to hole each oither on the ship rarely these come wirth the container and ifd nobody sees it and they try to load it on your truck it will cause damage !.

Learn what twist locks are for what containers 20 ft 30ft 40 ft and 45ft when you have a 45 on ALWAYS extend the under run bar if someone runs up your arse and you havent its your fault something to do with construction and use regs.

Usually on the side of the skelly trailer it will tell you what does what on the trailer re red,blue black air buttons etc…

ALWAYS extend a 20 foot box it travels better.

These are just as few things I was either told by others or learnt myself.

I would love to do containers full time a decent motor and decent wage would probably convince me to do it.

ASK ask the guys at the docks who have been doing it for years they know what to do and wont laugh when you ask what you think is a silly question.

I’ve just started on them and it is daunting but take your time, ask if you’re not sure and if in doubt, don’t move! If people get the hump, ■■ 'em! :smiley:

Just make sure you know how to use the trailer before you go, you need someone to show you how to do it and where to position it for 20’s, 40’s or 45’s.

Make sure the twist locks are raised in the right places and lowered in the right places to accept a container from a lifter/crane and that they are turned to the lock position for travel and the release position when ready to off load, else you’ll be 20 foot in the air with the box, then heading for the boat! :smiley:

Just folllow everyone else if in doubt and ask, ask, ask, Where am I going? Where’s that? Where’s it going?

Couple of days and it’s a doddle, same as everything else, just tell people it’s your first day and you haven’t a clue and most people will help you out unless they’re :imp:

How do twist locks work then?

DonutUK:
How do twist locks work then?

you twist it aand it locks the container onto the trailer :unamused:

yes, it really is as simple as that :wink:

This is unlocked and ready for the container, you twist the lock I.E. push the handle to the side and the top bit spins round inside a little box on the container to lock it to the lorry.

This is one thats locked although the little black lock over bit ive never seen on a uk wagon.

This is what happens if you dont do it right !!!.

Good pics…thanks.

■■■■■,any luck with Elite and Maritime yet.Another point is not stand behind the line,when waiting to have a box taken off or on.I have seen a lot of drivers standing underneath the container when in the port,which causes problems,as debris on top of the box can fall off,or parts from the straddle crane can come off and knock you on the head.
When reverse in to the slot,stay put,and make sure the trailer is not shortened,then the crane brings a 40 foot box round to fit your 20 foot position on the trailer,or vice versa,it may seem obvious,anyone saying they have not done that is telling porkies,i have done it.The crane goes away,and will service the waiting trucks.
One time,the trailer was shorten by my mistake,with a bit of arm waving to the crane driver,he waited for me to pull off the slot and stretch it out.Then reverse back to the slot.
VBS or vehicle booking system for most ports.You will soon get the hang of it,and if in Southampton docks you will see all the big ocean leisure liners on the berths.
The newsagent in Soton port does well,with all the pies and pasties he sells,if they are still there.

Well…just had a chat on the phone to Elite, they are looking to start someone asap on a contract vehicle for OCL.

Have emailed in my CV, and hopefully will have an assessment on Tuesday with one of their Driver Trainers.

Will be ■■■■■■■■ myself if i do get an assessment, as although i know i can drive, i just really hate having to prove it with someone sat next to me. I can never seem to relax and i know it makes me more liable to make a mistake.
The only way i have found to cope is to slow things down, especially any reversing they ask for!

No worries mate,just have an early night,horlicks malt milk drink will relax you,or some camomile tea.I failed my HGV test 3 times at the same place in Bristol,the give way lines were worn out,i failed to give way,thus making money for the test fee and my trainer.It was pure nerves.I forgot to look.
Dont forget to CHECK the oil/water/lights/bulbs/safety catch/tyres/road tax/O licence (In the window.)mirrors for cracks/air lines etc,when do a walk around check.
If he/she says dont bother it has been done already,just do it anyway.
They have to allow for nerves,and everyone will make a mistake on the test route,thats human.
I used to work for Elite in Eling Wharf.A few pubs and plenty of places to eat on the high street or down by the marina at the end of the road.Theres Goaty Beach near by to walk along.
One down thing was they expect you to know where every container base is,i would take a map from the office to keep in a file for future reference.When empty the office may not know the street name to get/drop a box at,when on way to a container base,they normaly just say the name of it.Some of them are tucked away in residential areas,with small access roads.
Even better,we had an Argos contract,drop loaded box,go to the "empty"yard,box on,in and out in 10 minutes.No waiting time.Pull out,then take a 45 min break off site.

i start on containers next week, should be interesting :smiley: might finally keep the inside of my truck clean for more than 3 hours

toby1234abc:
The newsagent in Soton port does well,with all the pies and pasties he sells,if they are still there.

Closed down abruptly the Christmas before last and then knocked down, apparently because of its proximity to Pentalver’s new roundabout.